UK Bobber Build thread

Hey Paul what do you do for a living? Just curious. I'm a Bodyman/Painter.
Yeah post some pics of your baffles. I might to try and make some out of a pair of exhaust reducers. I saw some on Tc Bros website.Look pretty easy to make.

Hi Johnt3, I am an Operations Manager in Telecoms and VoIP now but I am a time served Mechanical Engineer with Rolls Royce and thats where my passion lies. Just not many opportunities in the UK now in that arena :(
I made some baffles for my trail bike a couple of years ago, then realised I could buy the slide in ones cheaper than chips - excellent!

Yeah! Engineer at Rolls Royce. Sounds like that was a fun and interesting job.
It's been pretty slow here also. A new volume shop has opened in town and put a hit on us. I've been at the same shop now for 19 years. Damn! Where has the time gone. Ha Ha.
I guess I'll stop being a tight ass and buy some baffles. By the time I bought the right size adapters and hurt myself punching holes, I'd buy them anyways.

Yeah it was the best job in the world! But things change I guess.
Volume shops have their market but they cnt compete with good customer service and that personal touch!
Yeah its 15 years tomorrow since we all had to leave RR! Shocking!
Well I have a day at work then I'm going to crack on with the headlight and hopefully the oil tank tomorrow! Shooting clays on sunday then have to go with "her that must be obeyed" shopping in the afternoon!!! Agghh!

Shopping! Good lord man. I feel for ya. Ha Ha. The Twilight movie is coming to town so my wife is going Sunday to Wichita with the girls. I'll hopefully drop the kids off with Grandparents so I can work on the bike.

I know I know!! I cant stand it! But I'm off on holiday in a few weeks til after Christmas, so I have been "told" that I must have all the shopping done before we go!
She is going to watch that tomorrow too! - Champion - day in the shed for me!

Good for you. Yep, I'll try and get to the shop Sunday.It's kinda nice to work by myself.
No phone, no customers. Been planning out what to do next so should get some stuff done. I'll post pics.

That sounds like a plan to me!

So got a little more done today. Fabricated a bracket for the front headlight. Not too sure about it at the moment but it will do for now.
100_2636.jpg

Then onto the one ive been debating over for a while - The Battery Box :confused:

So - started off by cutting on an access panel around the size I needed
100_2637.jpg

Then with some plate I started to form the radius to match the oil tank. Just did this with a mallet, bench and vise.
100_2638.jpg

100_2639.jpg

Once the radius was right, I cut the panel to fit - about 1/4" bigger than the hole I cut so I can put some sealing strip round when its painted.
100_2640.jpg

Filed down some of the ridges when forming to make it nice and smooth.
100_2641.jpg

100_2642.jpg

Some 1/2" piano hinge I had came in handy for the hinge itself. I just drilled hole in the hinge, then used them to weld through to the tank - bit like a spot weld.
100_2643.jpg

Made a braket and thread some stud through with a weld on the hidden side so I can button it up with a captive nut.
100_2644.jpg

100_2645.jpg

Popped the end caps off and cut some plate to make a "floor" for the inside of the box. I will coat this with rubber and then use velcro to fasten the fuse box and Boyer unit in. Also this will help with any vibration.
100_2646.jpg

And the tank back on the bike:D
100_2647.jpg

So then I thought I would wade into the carbs! Got them stripped down. Not too bad inside apart from the usual gunk and muck. I did notice however, that the diaphragms had a couple of small spots where it appeared as though the skin was delaminating:shrug: I dont know whether these can be repaired? they dont appear to be "through" so not leaking. I might do a search or start a quick thread for advice to see if anyone else has done similar - just they are so expensive!
So now its continue with the carbs and clean the bloody paint off the PO put on!:doh:
100_2648.jpg

100_2649.jpg

wow you've sure been busy today ! I've only managed to grind 4x valves all afternoon ...

The Light looks good but I think with a singlepoint fixing its going to vibrate like hell and the beam is going to be up jumping and down all over the place a bit like a bicycle lamp.
Maybe it would be a stronger fixing and a more stable light if you took the bracket off the back of the bowl .

Nice bit of fabrication for the electrics box. Are you going to polish and varnish or chrome finish it ?

Yeah, I'll give the headlight some more though it think. As for the finish I am going to go for whatever colour I go for the tank, mudguards, batt box.
I have no idea what to do for a colour scheme yet though. Toying with white powder coat frame black tins with white / gold detailing but very much open to suggestions.

Paul, Look like you had a good building day. I think that's the same headlight that I have.Does it have a high beam indicator on top? I noticed that my indicator is off center a little, not a big deal but wth. My headlight bracket is the same. Mine started out as a sportster head light bracket I thought might fit. but I wound up beating and bending it to my will. Ha HA. Your electric tank looks great! I like the piano hinge idea that worked out good. I think I'm gonna cut my end caps down a little. You have the 34mm's right? I've found a place that has new diaphragms at a reasonable price.
http://www.jbmindustries.com/Yamaha650.html
Although I just checked and their out till dec15.
What air filters are you running? I've bought the Xs performance K&N-Style Offset Oval Pods.

Coming along great paul,just a thought though,would you not maybe be better off with the hinge on the top edge of your battery/electrics box to make it more waterproof?

Bucko - I did think about that but I want it to fold down so I can see in. Weatherproofing shouldn't be a problem with the seal strip I've got. Hopefully!

Johnt3 - yeah it does have the blue indicator on the top! I haven't checked straightness but I will now! Spooky we got the same lights! Great minds think alike :) I'll check those guys out! I got the ram air foam pod filters but I have a confession to make! I put them on to see what they looked like! They did look good, so I sort of forgot they were there, when I decided to run another couple of beads of weld to build up the joint on the hardtail for flushing in. After the second bead I wondered what was smoking - yup, the brand new $30 airfilter - ffffuuuurrrrrcccccck! Never mind - you live and learn! However, I can turn it so no one can see! He he

Ha Ha! Sorry to hear about your filter.
I was thinking about going back over my welds a little too. I'll remember your lesson learned.

Thanks! Yeah felt like a prize pillock! Most of my frame is still relatively tacked. I'll weld it up fully when it stripped down so I can turn it and get into place comfortably. I might go back in the shed, as "her that must be obeyed" is subjecting me to X Factor! Can't stand it. Although Nicole Scherzinger is one redeeming feature!!!!

Ha ha! Yep! What a girl! Its frosty outside now and the stove is burning so I'm going to put up with it and have a glass of red!
I'm still debating whether to go with a low down rev counter on the frame? Are you running one?

Yeah I'll probably stick with the stock one for now.I've kinda grown to like it. It seems to fit the looks of the bike so far.Less to buy more to spend on something else.Have you thought about your engine much yet.Are you going to do a mild refresh or what?

It ran well, on the way home so I'm confident it's in good nick.,however, with the bumf that came with the bike, it had a rebuild back in 97 not long deter it came into the UK. Saying that, I'm going to do a full rebuild on it and split the cases. Replace all seals and gaskets I think. May as well once it's out and broken down. Got a set of new cam chain guides off eBay the other day for next to nothing :) I'll not be far from pulling the engine so I do need to start thinking - might orde a gasket and seal set this week. What are you going to do with your engine?

Back