UK Cafe Racer Build Thread

Hi John, thanks for that :)
Weathers not too bad but getting colder here now - the tail end of what you had - how was it in your neck of the woods?
Saying that I sat and watched the Northern Lights last night - brilliant!

Your welcome my friend.:)
We got about 4" of snow on top of the 8" we received awhile back and now it's getting into the high 40's. Tomorrow is going to be 55.:D Sloppy wet and looking in the basement for water now.We had a huge ice and snow sheet come off of the roof the other night,sounded like a car wreck!:yikes:

Nice work on the taillight and tag bracket. The tail section looks great. I like the lines of the bike. 55 F and rain here a nice change from ice and snow. :cheers:

Just the afternoon on the bike today, so I tidied a few bits and bobs up, sorted out the throttle and greased it up - nice and smooth now, put a fuel filter on the carbs, tucked away in behind them ready for a petrol tap this week and machined some paddock stand bobbins and bosses to weld to the swingarm. Got them tacked on for now. My paddock stand is too wide for the XS swingarm, so that gives me a nice excuse to make a custom one that can be powder coated the same as the frame :)

DSCN0892_zps3b9db9ac.jpg

DSCN0893_zps0e3c8d50.jpg

DSCN0894_zps96a59735.jpg

DSCN0895_zps82bbf109.jpg

Hi Leslie, do you meant the width of the forks at the axle, just trying to understand which section of the forks you are referring to by centre to centre.

The diameter of the yokes at the top are 50mm where they narrow to go thought the top yoke.

These are on 1999, Yamaha R1 4XV forks and yokes

This week I took delivery of the new stailnless hoses and banjos for the brakes, along with a dual plunger petrol tap.

Started off with the brake hoses and bled them through

DSCN0896_zpsd77ea908.jpg

DSCN0897_zps5122f0e4.jpg

DSCN0898_zpsef62a9dd.jpg

DSCN0899_zps315d31bb.jpg

Then fitted and connected up the petrol tap

DSCN0900_zps75e32b02.jpg

Nicely done sir!

Where did you get your brake line and banjo's from? Also, how are you going to fit the ends to the brake line? Do you have a crimper??

I also love your fuel tap, care to share where you go it from? What size thread is it going into the fuel tank?

Tell me to shut it if I ask annoying questions!!

Hi Airwolfie, no problem, ask away!

The hoses,banjos etc are fromTHRacing. They are the threaded sleeve type with olives, so know need for crimps. I prefer the threaded type as they are more robust, plus you can dis-assemble them.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/THRacing-store?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

The fuel tap is from the Classic Motorcycle Spares. The thread is 3/8 BSP into the tank and the bottom, where the 90 degree attaches is 1/4 BSP

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Vintagebike-Online?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Paul

Nice work as usual Paul. I sure like that petcock you picked up.:thumbsup:
I'm gonna check that Ebay store out, looks like a lot of good buys.

Thanks Carbon, yeah they are pretty good kit!

I started on the wiring to day. Got the front end all wired up including the headlight and the switch gear. Left some tails for the digital dash and main / dip beam indicator. Got the fuse box and ignition system mocked up too. Then ran out of wire :)

DSCN0901_zps13a39a36.jpg

DSCN0902_zpscfcd29f1.jpg

DSCN0903_zpse7610f5e.jpg

Ok now that looks scary! I'm dreading doing mine soon! Wish there was an easier way!

This beast is going to run soon at the pace you are going!!

Back