UK Cafe Racer Build Thread

Ha ha, it's not too bad. If you draw it out and take your time it's fairly straight forward.

Well hopefully soon. Got the wheels to lace up, tyres to go on, PMA and the wiring to finish and that should be it :)

So, the little blue box next to the fusebox is the boyer electronic ignition box? I like having it there instead of next to the coil. Gotta run some extra wire then though I guess...

Hi yes, that's the Boyer Unit. I keep the Boyer with the other electrical components and wire out from there. Theres only the one wire feed to trigger the coil on the - side to run. The others are: 1x positive (red) to the fuse box, 1x earth (white) and 2x pick up (yellow / red) from the pickup plate on the cam. These aren't polarity sensitive either, so it doesn't matter which way round they go.

I managed to get cracked on with the wiring today and took delivery of some nice shiney 18" rims all the way from Mikes XS. I finished off the wiring as far as I could go. I still need to take delivery of the PMA (on its way) and the Trailtech Vapor for the electronic dash. However, all the wiring is in place to receive them. I also mad a small bracket for an ignition switch and popped that on too.

DSCN0904_zps53fdbfb5.jpg

DSCN0905_zps4cb593ae.jpg

DSCN0906_zps96b4e251.jpg

DSCN0907_zps9655b64f.jpg

And there was life :)

DSCN0908_zps9660ffff.jpg

DSCN0909_zps43f06e30.jpg

Made a start on the wheels. Cut the old 19" rims off and started to polish up the hubs.

DSCN0910_zpsa2cd8fa4.jpg

DSCN0912_zps8b6ad2a3.jpg

Today I got the hubs rubbed down and polished, along with the spacers I made. They come up quite nice.

DSCN0914_zps06208bb5.jpg

Then I laced up the wheels. Ran out of time so Ill true them up this week sometime.

DSCN0915_zpsddd34ca3.jpg

With any luck the PMA will arrive this week and I can get some tyres on too. So, fingers crossed, we might have a start up next weekend :)

Well, a bit of a boob! Sat down to tighten up and true up the wheels and realised they were both done wrong. The keen eyed of you will notice above that the inner and outer spokes are swapped on the rim. This means that the nipples don't sit straight in their holes. So, stripped down and done again. Only took a coule of hours, so not too bad. I'll true them up tomorrow night. Moral is - don't get distracted by people while lacing wheels :)

Ha ha thanks guys :)
Yes, embarrassing. I was lacing them up loosely as I was running out of time and everyone and their dog came round to say hi. I finished them off and left them on the bench. Obviously, when I went back to them, I thought - what the...!
Doh, start again :)
Hopefully get them trued up today and dropped off at the tyre fitter. If Her Majesty's Customs pull their finger out, I might get my PMA for the weekend. That is after I pay my randomly high customs charge - I'm sure I should get a free pot of Vaseline for that!

Last edited:
Well that's the wheels trued up and dropped off at the tyre fitter. Hopefully pick them up on Friday.
I've gone for the Continental TKV, recently re-introduced to meet the resurgent classic culture. There's nothing specific I like, apart from the tread pattern, which I think will suit the Cafe Racer build very well.
I'll pop some pics up when they're back

Hi, I got the rims and tyres back from the fitter and popped them on. Just in the nick of time the PMA arrived from TC Bros and I managed to get that on and weld a bracket up to carry the reg/rec unit slung under the frame out of sight. That way it helps the routing of the wiring too. As the weather had dried up today I wheeled her outside to get a better idea of how she sat on her own two wheels.

DSCN0916_zps4059d916.jpg

DSCN0917_zps9933f6ec.jpg

DSCN0918_zps30d17d66.jpg

DSCN0919_zps045f3a9f.jpg

DSCN0920_zps0fe71359.jpg

While I was at it, I popped some petrol in the tank and after three of four kicks she fired into life. So I had to go for a little ride - only a few hundred yards :)

th_DSCN0922_zpsa15a24f0.jpg

Back