VA riders! got a question about tags.

stuntdouble

Contract Killer
Reaction score
Ive just recently moved from MD to VA and was wondering if VA has historic tags like MD does. I took my title to the MVA in MD when I got my bike and asked about historic tags and what I had to do to get them and basically, after I transferred the title into my name, Id just pay the $210 fee and theyd mail me tags. Not having $210 dollars to thrown down on tags for a bike that was gonna sit for a while, I didnt get them. Now I live in VA and basically, Im building a foot clutch/jockey shift bobber with no front brake, no blinkers and hopefully, no mirrors and Im trying to get away with not getting an inspection. Can anybody shed any light?

So long as you have a vehicle titled in your name that has regular tags on it to use as a daily driver, you can titled your bike with historics in VA.

Last edited:
$210.00, yikes!!!! Yet another reason I moved from Maryland. I had historic tags on my Mustang (they were no where near $210 though) and this ass cop in town pulled anyone over that used that vehicle on a weekday.
Here in Delaware you have to have a bone stock, just like factory vehicle to get them. They check it all out. After you get them though, then you can chop it up or whatever.

Here in NY historic plates can only be driven in parades or to car shows.
Leo

Here in NY historic plates can only be driven in parades or to car shows.
Leo

That's how it is here too. I should clarify my statement. We get a typical expiration sticker, that goes on your standard rear tag, but has a historic classification on it, so you don't have to be reinspected. (Delaware has no front tag) The actual plate is just a second plate that reads "Anitque Motorcycle/Auto", which you hang on the front for a car, under the rear plate on a bike.. However, that classification only lets you drive the vehicle in parades and on weekends. Maryland was the same way, in the rules, when I lived there and we would put a plate frame on to cover the "Historic" on the bottom of the plate.

Last edited:
Va says, parades, to and from shows or a shop, after you've made repairs and test riding, or the occasional pleasure cruise. Now the occasional pleasure cruise is pretty much a cover all so unless they catch you during rush hour in a work uniform they can't really bother you.

Straight from the MVA site:
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/FAQ/default.htm#anchor313

Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).

When he pulled me over in my car, he asked why I was driving it with historic tags on a weekday. I said my truck broke down. A couple days later he did the same thing and warned me of the violation. Harford County Sheriff Deputy.

i reside here and like said before , you have to have a registered vehicle with plates and then you can have antique plates, they say you can only ride to and from special events, shows, rides and such . i have 3 antiques that i drive regulary, my buddy drives his everyday for the last 5 years. they say if you abuse this priveledge they will take away your plates for 5 years. what part of va you moving to?

I would just put regular plates on it but without blinkers and mirrors, it won't pass inspection, and I'm not gonna put blinkers and mirrors on every year to pass.

Legally you don't have to have blinkers but you gotta use hand signals. I think you need at least one mirror though.

i love this place more and more, we can have as many Antique tags you want as long as you have one vehicle registered under regular insurance. :laugh:

So, this is coming from a guy who has gotten over eight tickets for inspection/antique plate related issues (me):

In virginia, when you get antique tags you are agreeing to a limited driving range. Also, it is a myth that you do not need an inspection when having antique tags in virginia. It is not enforced as harshly, because old stuff is cool and used mostly for car shows and parades, but you are legally required to have one.

I have been told that by two separate judges in court. Now, with that said, it was for cars. But I can't imagine its too different for bikes.

What I did is got it titled with normal tags and insurance and just haven't gotten it inspected. No inspection isn't a bad ticket, but no inspection with antique tags gets your tags taken and the fine is higher.

Hope that helps and it's just my experience. You or others may have different experiences.

Thanks. That's basically what I was getting at. I lived in Va about 6 years ago and remember that I had to get my Jeep inspected every year. With 35"tires and a 6" lift, that was a nightmare. Mostly just paid for a fudged sticker. But in MD, if your vehicle is old enough to warrant historic tags, no inspection is required... ever. Just title and proof of insurance and a valid license and out the door you go with hard tags. But it sounds like here in Va, I'll have to at least get an initial inspection before I can get tags. Is that correct? And is there a re-occurring inspection every year like for cars?

Nope. I'm not sure if it's different where Alfredo is, but here you go to DMV with the title, register and tag the bike historic, you get plates and you're done.

I haven't loked into it here in NY but I know they chsarge out the wahzoo for custom plates, so antique or histroric plates probably cost a bunch too. Reuglar plates are $14 a year. Yes you need a yesrly inspection. $6. Ins about $75-85 a year.
Why pay all the extra and aggravation just to have a fancy plate and thren only ride it once in a while.
Pay less and ride it all the time.
Leo

i paid the one time fee of 50 bucks for my antique plates. if you have regular plates you are supposed to have an inspection done by a registered shop. buying or photocoping stickers is a thing of the past, now the police can run your plates and see which shop and what month sticker you have. all computerized now. i'm a mechanic and state inspectors do not like my truck, must be the machine gun on the hood?

Back