Valve Lapping Results

Let's not turn my thread into a war. I'm more interested in bikes and advice than Internet fights.

I removed the rings and cleaned the piston crowns after marking (sharpie) the rings and pistons so I can get them back in the same spot. Ex let for the fact that I might have put one of the rings on upside down, everything should line up pretty close on reassembly.

Posted via Mobile

So you are to scared to come clean and confront the person you are referring to and pleased to discredit the others by your first action.

Just trying to give him information that will hopefully benefit him, without having a war. And I'm not going to have a war with you either. But I don't remember being scared of anything since I was about 10 years old :)

P.S. on reading his last post I see it didn't benefit him anyway. Oh well :)

Last edited:
On the oil burning, I can remember reading the owners manual for a 65 or 66 Cadillac. It said oil consumption could be a quart in 800 miles and still be ok. Now I would bitch if a new car burned a quart in 800 miles. A fresh bike engine should use a bit at first, then taper off as it breaks in to very little to none.
Leo

Why not just remove the pistons from the bores? It's a fallacy that you lose ring seal doing so. You don't need a ring compressor or anything special to put them back in. The bottom of the bores are beveled so just squeeze the rings in with your fingers and wiggle the piston back in, one ring at a time.

totally off topic, but i so needed to read that;) cheers 5twins

Here is another guy saying new rings if the pistons are out. Why not? Rings are cheap compared to labor so might as well do a full top rebuild, valves and rings.

And another old trick from the flathead chronicles. To decarbonize piston tops in the cylinder: Smear a small fillet of grease around the piston top. This will collect the carbon and keep it from the rings. Turn the engine and a ring of grease holding carbon debris will be on the cylinder wall to wipe off.

Tom

Back