VIN identification

Dakota

Dakota
Reaction score
I have no idea what year my bike is, frame and engine match vin is 447106354 I think its a 78 SE ???

75B - 447100101 Standard........... 78SE - 2F0 100101 Special

Big difference, some pics would be good

75B - 447100101 Standard........... 78SE - 2F0 100101 Special

Big difference, some pics would be good
agreed 447-106354 would be a 75B

Attachments

• Model Codes.PNG
    Model Codes.PNG
    44.5 KB · Views: 4,044
I bought the bike in pieces and am slowly putting it all together what inparticular would you need a picture too, no gastank no air box covers, alot is missing?

I am pretty much brand new to motorcycles so i have no idea am i looking at a 75 or 78

Here are some links for you to help you define some of the parts for your bike.
Here. The US models never got the twin disc set up and they got electronic ignition from 80 on.
Here
Tech menu
Here. Click. on Your year of bike, on the left hand side of the next page look in the list. Yours is the B model and you will see the 74TXA and 75XSB share a lot of parts. excellent for identifying part nos and parts.

I bought the bike in pieces and am slowly putting it all together what inparticular would you need a picture too, no gastank no air box covers, alot is missing?

I am pretty much brand new to motorcycles so i have no idea am i looking at a 75 or 78

I'm doing the same thing(putting together pieces from different years).

A word of advice, pay attention to the differences in years. Some years had shorter/longer parts that are not as easily interchangeable, or not interchangeable at all. For example the rear axle was shorter on the earlier years, and longer in the latter years. Front engine mounts we're different sizes as well, and fork sizes too. Some are easy fixes or could use different parts form other bikes. Like the front end could be used from a bike that has a larger neck stem, as long as you get the right bearing size to fit it.

I'm doing the same thing(putting together pieces from different years).

A word of advice, pay attention to the differences in years. Some years had shorter/longer parts that are not as easily interchangeable, or not interchangeable at all. For example the rear axle was shorter on the earlier years, and longer in the latter years. Front engine mounts we're different sizes as well, and fork sizes too. Some are easy fixes or could use different parts form other bikes. Like the front end could be used from a bike that has a larger neck stem, as long as you get the right bearing size to fit it.

Good advice, Any info:shrug:

I'm looking at buying a '76 xs650, it doesn't have a title, so I'd need a power of attorney so I could get the title transfer and new title. Well the current owner in not the last registered. I've been trying to search the VIN/Serial # to find the last owner, but with no luck. Is searching even possible? Or is a title even needed? I know I some states, bikes that are over a certain age don't need a title. Probably due to the 1981 change over to the current VIN system.

Any information will help. Thanks

447-703291

Your production date may be in the second half of 76 but the vin no states the bike is a 77D.

77D 700101 to 724061. Model and manufacturing date from Aug 76 to July 77

How bout mine..? I have been thinking my engine is a 79 but there are a few things that make me wonder. I appear to have 80 + brushes.... It had TCI pickup but I put in the pamco. Frame is an 81. PO told me the engine was a 79.. Best I could tell back then by using the S# it was accurate.... but I want YOUR opinions.

2FO-171644

Attachments

• IMAG0627.jpg
    IMAG0627.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 699
  • IMAG0832.jpg
    IMAG0832.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG0833.jpg
    IMAG0833.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 241
79SF by my chart. If a 79 engine was used in an 81 Frame/bike, they probably converted the engine to match the wiring for the 81 TCI ignition

that's exactly what I figured. PO must have put an 80's stator on it and TCI. The wiring when I bought the bike was FUBAR. It was bad and ugly.... and poorly done. Technical term would be cluster fucked. I got all that sorted out but could never decide if I had guessed the correct year or not because of the combination of 80's parts vs the 70's S#. Thanks for the clarification.

Back