Vin

Captain America

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
G'day all, I have recently bought an XS650. It was imported into Australia a few years ago from UK. The main thing is I'm not sure of the model, 81or 82? Heritage Special. I do know this model wasn't brought into Aust commercially, so bits and pieces for it are hard to come by. VIN is JYA5V400XCA005389. It has the choke lever on the left switchblock which tells me it may be an 82 model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the tea party.

5V4-005389...................date of manufacture will be on the white Vin Sticker on the neck............. Date may be late 81, Models straddle 2 years, Aug one year to July the next.

82 Heritage Special US model................One year only black chrome guards, indicators, front fork lowers.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Yamaha-20XS650S-2082_3.jpg
TomDellinger12.jpg
TomDellinger13.jpg

G'day all, I have recently bought an XS650. It was imported into Australia a few years ago from UK. The main thing is I'm not sure of the model, 81or 82? Heritage Special. I do know this model wasn't brought into Aust commercially, so bits and pieces for it are hard to come by. VIN is JYA5V400XCA005389. It has the choke lever on the left switchblock which tells me it may be an 82 model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome aboard Captain.
I like many others here will look forward to the development and progress of your new acquisition.
Any help you need is just a request post away; or you can search the site for tons of info.
Post plenty of pictures as we like them too.
Cheers,
Ads.:devil:

Hello @Captain America and welcome from Virginia. I have the '82 SH-650J aka, Heritage Special. The one @650Skull posted above must be a fake as there is no rust nor dents on it. It is so shiny it hurts to look at it. If it is real, he must only ride it at night as the sun glare is too intense for daytime operations. Do notice the picture were taken on a cloudy day, elsewise the camera could have never captured the images due to its radiance.

My '82 has the choke on the left thumb grip area as you describe. It birthdate date is Oct 1981 so it just past 40 years old a few months ago.

Date on headstem is 09/81. Bike has black chrome guards, indicators and headlight shell. So, does that make it an '81 build, but an 82 model?

Date on headstem is 09/81. Bike has black chrome guards, indicators and headlight shell. So, does that make it an '81 build, but an 82 model?

Yes all questions answered in Post #2
Welcome to the tea party.

5V4-005389...................date of manufacture will be on the white Vin Sticker on the neck............. Date may be late 81, Models straddle 2 years, Aug one year to July the next.

82 Heritage Special US model................One year only black chrome guards, indicators, front fork lowers.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

View attachment 207372View attachment 207375View attachment 207376

Back