Welding thread

Jan, the Hitbox has similar functionality to the one I bought. Althought it would have been a cheaper buy for me it was only available via Spain. Also, I wanted a welder sold by a UK welding supplier with a UK based warranty.

The electrode and earth clamp on the Hitbox are OKish quality.

Here is the link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284434626504?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The Hitbox does not have Lift TIG as an option if you wanted to try TIG at a later date.

Last edited:
Jan, the Hitbox has similar functionality to the one I bought. Althought it would have been a cheaper buy for me it was only available via Spain. Also, I wanted a welder sold by a UK welding supplier with a UK based warranty.

The electrode and earth clamp on the Hitbox are OKish quality.

Here is the link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284434626504?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The Hitbox does not have Lift TIG as an option if you wanted to try TIG at a later date.

Thank you for the answer .. I did some reading think the hitbox is to small ..Not having the extra margin for little longer
weld times with the larger sticks
While yours is better
- Duty cycle: 100% @110A, 60% @140A

The one you have Paul made fine welds ..Although it is the man behind the mask that does it I feel the little higher amperage is good
But the customs and tax stops me from buying it here.
So I went for another one from a German weld supplier .. The TIG factor I would not have noticed but I have another much larger weld that can do that
Payed 100 euro . Someone here gave the Advice Dont buy the cheapest you can find
The extra amperage is also good when tacking things .. if to weak fex transformer .It can ( pin ) stick and make it difficult
If there is more Power .It is easier to get the spots in place

Oh, I thought you all knew I was a shit welder. Couldn't make a weld today so remembered the 40A per mm. Recalculated and the weld worked fine. The problem with welding is DIYers like me want to get the job done without the practise.
I have enough training in welding to know that I should not do it. You don't want any metal melted by me. Neither do I.

Oh, I thought you all knew I was a shit welder. Couldn't make a weld today so remembered the 40A per mm. Recalculated and the weld worked fine. The problem with welding is DIYers like me want to get the job done without the practise.

No Sir I reserve the right to be skeptical on that part " I was a shit welder. "
Many crafts involves also the Talent + Knack for it besides the tools and setting on the machines.
Ability to listen and coordinate the movements .. Some people can pick up an instrument and rather quick gets it going
Professions involving the hands is the same ..
If you don't have it from the beginning practice helps ... But without the talent one rarely gets good Top Notch at the job.
I saw it many times at construction sites . And I believe it can be seen rather quick at a person at young age.
Within the first year on the apprenticeships in those days.
It looks like magic when fex an expert carpenter work Fast / Perfect Result / No extra measurement .
Or a welder for that matter ..

My adventure continues. I bought a small Argon cylinder and set my pocket welder up for TIG. My first impressions are:
  • Very clean process
  • Nice views of the molten pool - Hypnotic to watch
  • I understand now why Titanium (Edit: Tungsten) tips are classed as a consummable
  • I need a thin flexible glove for feeding the filler wire
  • I wonder how best to terminate the arc with Lift TIG?

Last edited:
Will be trying that tomorrow TJZ662, thank you.

Edit (21/12/21): Tried that snap thing but I probably need to find a video to see how much "snap" is involved typically.

Last edited:
Hey all bodger welder started messing with this.
KIMG0277.JPG
Practice? I don need no stinking practice.
KIMG0279.JPG
Well ok mebby a little. But it's a jack, what could go wrong?

I spent the last 17 years of my working career in the metal fabrication welding industry. I regret that in all those years I never learned to weld. It was easier for me to take my projects to the shop and get one of the pro’s to weld it up for me. Fast forward to a couple a years ago. I went and bought a nice welder for home use. It’s a Lincoln 210MP and its capable of MIG, stick and Tig (but not for aluminum). It’s been sitting pretty on a stand without any use. I meant to take a course in welding but with the onset of Covid, all classes were cancelled.

Just before Christmas last year, a local college had advertised on line that they were offering an “Introduction to welding” course. I jumped on the opportunity right away and signed up. Pleasant surprise it was free! 5 weeks, 2 days per week, 8 hours per day. The course would focus on stick and mig.
The first two days were slow but now we’re actually burning some welding rod (2 weeks stick then 2 weeks Mig).

Cant agree more with the need to practice, practice, practice. For many of the students in the course, they will learn the basics, but not use it again for a long time, because they dont have the equipment. Once I’m finished I need to keep at it to improve my skill level by practicing at home. Once I feel comfortable with the basics of Mig, I may look into a Tig course in the future.

Back