What have you done to your XS today?

That bike looks great for being outside for a long time. Congrats!! Of course I would like the ehxast, front fender and licence plate light fixture thingy ;) lol. but I'm a few thousand miles north of you in Calgary :( I'll pm you .. maybe we can work something out when you start your project... what's your plan for the bike?

I had thought I would restore it and I would if it was alot earlier but now the engine will go in a stretched chopper build and the frame will replace the PO's butchered frame job on my bigbore Street tracker.
009.jpg

The front fender is pitted so it will become a painted rear fender at some point, I do want to keep the headers but the mufflers can go and are in decent shape, the licence plate thingy has some rust on the back side, looks like it could clean up, the housing part looks good.
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg

found the charging problem with the barn find, no response on the slap test, did all the usual tests and then realized someone had installed the positive brush upside down so no contact with the positive lead to the brush, flipped it over and it charges perfect, dontcha just love simple fixes:)

Added a windshield to the 76. Seems like it is always windy around here (people say Kent County is the flat bottom of a prehistoric lake, I say it is the eastern periphery of the prairies), so it makes it much nicer to drive faster, seems to spool up to 70mph with little effort, with seems like lots left in reserve. Some buzz in the foot pegs and the bars at speed, that's ok. Rode it out to an excavating company looking for a couple truck loads of dirt to fill in a decommissioned pool and the owner had to come out and get a good look at it, he said he had a 71 as a kid, I said gold tank and it was like we were old pals instantly.

Attachments

• SAM_6331.JPG
    SAM_6331.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 161
  • SAM_6332.JPG
    SAM_6332.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 202
Cool!
What kind of windshield did you put on lakeview?

Edit: Ah, I see lakeview, for some reason the pics didn't show the first time I saw this post.

Looks great!

Last edited:
Getting serious now about doing some electrical work, so started a dedicated drawer for tools.

Starting to refurbish an '80 that was left outside for a while, engine had been taken out and everything else tossed like a empty can. I bought it, was able to get an ownership (title) for it by affidavit/application (once Service Ontario was able to cope with the short VIN), so now we will see if I can get the electrical tidied up. The first is replacing the fuse panel and I give you my new idea:
I will encase the spade terminals with shrink on insulation, then shrink them together so they will plug into a fuse, the add the device into the circuit. I think it is elegant in theory, I will see if it works.
And another shot of the 80 as it is.
The motor will come out of the bobber as the 80 is a lot closer to a working machine.

Attachments

• SAM_6334.JPG
    SAM_6334.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 176
  • SAM_6335.JPG
    SAM_6335.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 182
  • SAM_6336.JPG
    SAM_6336.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 188
  • SAM_6236.JPG
    SAM_6236.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 168
  • SAM_6235.JPG
    SAM_6235.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 179
Cool!
What kind of windshield did you put on lakeview?
The windshield is one I had "in stock" and says "Spitfire" on it, I think I had it on my '08 standard SV650, but it is a good size for the XS, plus almost can't see it at 15 feet.

Last night, I changed the fork oil and discovered and repaired a faulty tail light wire. It was hard getting those fine thread led fork cap nuts back on. Had to take handle bars right off to get a straight line into the nut with a big socket. The old oil coming out was kind of reddish in colour - age perhaps. There was lots that came out and the new oil isn't leaking so I think my seals are ok. Now I'm on the hunt for a right side passenger peg - required for safety inspection apparently. I can order new ones, but I think I'll check out a local shop that claims to have a lot of old parts. Happy Friday!!! :)

Indeed those are sweet moments !
I brought home a Project that will keep me busy for at least a week....
a Honda TRX 450 FE...... Fourtrax Foreman......quad.
it's my Father In Laws, and it wouldn't start, been sitting for about 2 years he bought a new battery for it ( finally) but still wouldn't start
so I told him I'ed haul it home and fix it for him he jumped at the chance to get it running again, so we muscled it into the back of my little pickup and I hauled it home..... this should be Fun ! LOL
Bob.......

Oh the joy of owning older machinery! Last night stepped into the garage to a huge puddle of fuel under the bike yay! The left carb was draining out the bowl vent. I tore into it this morning and found the brass float was sort of heavy on one side and I could feel and hear fuel sloushing around in there. I drained the crack and soldered it up. Back together no leaks. These bikes certainly keep you well acquainted with your toolbox :D

Nice! Pre dawn ride sounds really cool. Not too much traffic, nice and cool, and you can stop for a coffee and cheese danish ahhh yeah maybe one day..

Haha today I switched main jets from 135 to 145 and realized that the main issue I'm having is my float bowls aren't filling up fast enough...got one to flow very nicely and the other is at a steady drip.
I was on that all day and got one fixed really good and one sorta fixed, flowing more but stil at a steady drip:/

After a lengthy summer break, chucked the battery on the charger while I did yard work. After dinner I installed the battery, did my customary start procedure and it fired right up. Going to work on the blinkers tomorrow, weather permitting (riding over to a buddies house to work on it, supposed thunderstorm).

UM

Back