What have you done to your XS today?

Finally finished my attempt at making a rack to hold my backpack. The frame of the pack just slips over the rack facing forwards so also gives a little back support for those long rides.

View attachment 111082 View attachment 111083 View attachment 111084 View attachment 111085

I would have liked the rack to be close to vertical except it just looked wrong compared to the angles on the bike. I may add a tray at the back later to hold a petrol can and also fit a super bright LED brake light behind the three holes. The rack makes use of the bolts that hold the tail light in place.
I like it, Paul.
I'm tempted to call it a sissy bar (I've had some like this), but that might be the wrong thing to do...:rolleyes:

Dude, it may function as a sissy bar but I will use it for a back pack. I can imagine being stopped on the side of the rode and leaning back for a quick nap. The angle will be good for that.

Edit: Just tested the sleep position and it was good.

Last edited:
103027-abaa664a2addab3efa5d43cc9176298c.jpg

Well, I'm going to swim against the current here (not exactly a novel experience for me...) and say that I LIKE what I see. I think the DT tanks are among the most beautiful ever made. I like the look of high pipes but it makes my thighs twitch just thinking of all that heat...

Downeaster, I agree! Further more I think JimD54 got it right when he mentioned pushing the tank forward and up a little. I think it is just a matter of playing with the DT tank and seat location. The pipes do not bother me at all. The bare frame distorts things and once the side panels are fitted things will look even better.

Yup, follow the line of the backbone a little more.

If I was to hit the lottery, I'd build another XS, and it'd be a dirt-tracker with the DT tank. I've seen a few examples on here that make my widdle heart go pitter-patter...

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, if money were no object, I'd build me an RT-360 based dual-sport. I'm too damn old to be riding off-road, but a pipey two-smoker with street/adventure tires and modern suspension and brakes would be a crapload of fun!

Yup, follow the line of the backbone a little more.

If I was to hit the lottery, I'd build another XS, and it'd be a dirt-tracker with the DT tank. I've seen a few examples on here that make my widdle heart go pitter-patter...

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, if money were no object, I'd build me an RT-360 based dual-sport. I'm too damn old to be riding off-road, but a pipey two-smoker with street/adventure tires and modern suspension and brakes would be a crapload of fun!

So this just popped up on Craigslist in Phoenix
image.jpeg

Price is a little steep at $3500, but it's had a full resto with a fresh motor and only 3900 original miles.
Plus the bikes rarely ever show up on Craigslist, and never this nice!

Does anyone recall what the Yamaha 360 was with the four-stroke single cylinder and decompression valve for starting?? Early to Mid 70s.

The Yamaha XT500, I had one just like this one when it was brand new! I loved it, it was a torque monster!
FD4E1871-DCB4-4F06-B25F-66D5968706C8.jpeg

Thanks Mailman. A friend of mine had a 360 and it was a torque monster too. It would almost break your leg if it kicked back without the decompression during starting. The engine made a really loud thumping noise.

DE, I like the look of the high pipes and also considered something similar. The biggest roadblock I ran into was the dipstick was not accessible. Something to consider with your build.

So this just popped up on Craigslist in Phoenix
View attachment 111099
Price is a little steep at $3500, but it's had a full resto with a fresh motor and only 3900 original miles.
Plus the bikes rarely ever show up on Craigslist, and never this nice!

A fully restored DT1 250 are worth gold over here. Seen one up for sale for 12,000. Very rare and hard to get.

OK guys, I know it’s not about an XS650, but I am having a motorcycle adventure this week and wanted to report briefly on it. My family and I are in Phoenix to escape the cold CDN weather for a week and I have rented a Harley Street Glide for a few days. Here is a brief report on the big hawg.

EDIT: I had mistakenly identified the bike as a Road Glide - but it is actually the much less elaborate Street Glide model. These folks build SO many different models...

The HD is definitely a different feel from EVERYTHING else and I can see why there is such a clear delineation between Harley riders and non-Harley riders.

It weighs even more than my ST1300, but has around 50 HP less, although the traditional 45* v-twin produces lots of torque. The redline is about 5300 rpm (versus 8500 on the Honda) and it has a 6-speed tranny. The clutch pull is moderate (about like an XS650) and the brakes seem OK. I have only ridden it for about 30 miles so far - and I liked it, but boy it IS different.

The biggest differences I have found so far are in the foot and handlebar controls:
- the sitting position is very low - anyone can’t flatfoot this bike likely shouldn’t ride;
- floorboards which are mostly ahead of you, not pegs which are mostly under you;
- front brake pedal that looks like something off a Toyota Corolla - and its waaaayyyy up forward;
- shifter is a big heel&toe affair - I couldn’t figure it out so I just used the toe shifter up&down like on a Japanese bike;
- turn signals - all I can say is...unique. Each bar has a button to signal in THAT direction instead of one button on the LH bar for both directions. It makes right turns a little busy, I found. The system is self-cancelling and seems to work well however.

The one major criticism I have are the instruments - which are very complete, but much too small IMO. I found myself squinting and straining to see what the heck gear I was in and the little symbols for oil etc. were virtually illegible. I also found programming the GPS to be....puzzling and oddly, the engine kill switch is black (not the customary red) and I damn near shut the bike off on the freeway while trying use the RH turn signal. There are several smaller little buttons on each bar, but the labels are microscopic so I simply cannot tell you what they do.

Im an engineer and a pretty conservative rider and I like good controls and instruments - and frankly, these just aren’t. I’m sure I will get used to the peculiarities but the too small instruments and button labels are simply a bad thing (IMHO). Given the age demographic of H-D riders, I’m surprised they would muff these details.

The engine noise is quite subdued - the biggest drama is the start-up when lots of gnashing and thrashing happens (fun at first but to an engineer’s ears, a bit off-putting). Once underway, the sound is a pleasant throb, but not loud and the gear shifts are pretty darned smooth. On the road I didn’t find vibration to be a major issue (nothing like the mobile paint-shaker feeling of an XS650, that’s for sure). H-D has done a commendable job of quelling that famous Harley thump and producing a very flexible and usable powertrain.

As noted, the engine power is good (and with a displacement of 107 cu.in or about 1800 cc’s - it darned well should be). My cousin and I got up to around 75 MPH on the short freeway ride to our vacation rental home - and the Harley had a lot more. The acceleration is OK - I would characterize it as “stately” but quite adequate, rather than the frantic arm-straightening rush of a big “metric” bike. The real action seems to be between 2000 and 3000 RPM. Lower, and the acceleration was pretty slow and any higher than 3-3500 and the engine felt...unhappy and out of breath. Others may differ, I don’t have a lot of H-D experience, but I do know when a power band come on and off.

All of that said, the Street Glide is a neat bike and I am sure the I’ll enjoy riding it around beautiful sunny and warm Arizona!

More on Pete’s Excellent Desert Adventure to come - watch this space!

Pete

Last edited:
Back