What have you done to your XS today?

Had a chance to test my new clutch/springs, I am impressed! Commute on the motorway at 90mph (sat nav verified!) felt completely fine and I had no slipping at high revs in 5th (couldn't really nudge it past 75mph before the clutch change). Even when the clutch wasn't slipping before, the bike felt sluggish and slightly dulled, so if anyone is experiencing that then a clutch swap is a decent idea if you can get the plates cheap.
Gear changes are slick and positive, neutral is fine but not perfect. The EBC 15% over springs do not make the clutch pull any heavier.

My Chinese 2mm copper washers finally turned up so my cam chain is now quiet, although I still have a metallic whirring/clatter under some circumstances; high revs in the first 3 gears under load, and coasting in gear off the throttle from about 3k revs down. It is quiet 'till the oil warms up (15W/40 tractor oil).

Edit: forgot to mention -- One issue going 90mph and having a powerful front brake is that when hauling it to a stop from 90mph,I pull the clutch in and the idle drops below 1k and it stalls, bad times, kicking it in the middle of a motorway roundabout is no fun at all.
Gentle stopping and a bit of throttle stops this, is my hot idle too low? its around 1400 at idle.

Last edited:
Edit: forgot to mention -- One issue going 90mph and having a powerful front brake is that when hauling it to a stop from 90mph,I pull the clutch in and the idle drops below 1k and it stalls, bad times, kicking it in the middle of a motorway roundabout is no fun at all.
Gentle stopping and a bit of throttle stops this, is my hot idle too low? its around 1400 at idle.

I had this sort of problem, albeit at lower in-town speeds. Grabbing a bunch of brake going into tight R turns, she'd stall. To combat the situation, I'd try to keep my braking gentle, set idle up at 14-1500 and blip the throttle like you do.

A few things were done to solve it completely, but improvement was observed at each adjustment.

First was a careful setting of the floats. Mine were a bit twisted and set too low. Less fuel in the bowl, it sloshes forward when you brake hard. Where the pilot jet picks up its fuel source is in the back.

Compounding the issue for me, my clutch adjustment wasn't quite right. With the clutch lever fully pulled in there was still a touch of engagement. As the fuel sloshed forward starving the motor, the low road speed pulled the rpms even further down through the dragging clutch.

Last, but not least, I found that the R terminal on the ignition coil was very corroded.

Fuel starvation, dragging clutch, weak spark. Stall.

Now, with those things taken care of, my bike reliably stays running under hard braking with no wasted throttle blips or extra high idle. She's happy at the book spec 1200.

First was a careful setting of the floats. Mine were a bit twisted and set too low. Less fuel in the bowl, it sloshes forward when you brake hard. Where the pilot jet picks up its fuel source is in the back.

Thanks DanielBlack, I did my float heights not long ago, so maybe I didn't get them quite right.. Also, I ended up chopping 1/2 " off my HT leads because there was some corrosion, maybe I need to take some more off.

If they get too short, does anyone turn the dual coil around and have the leads coming down the front of the engine? or is that a bad idea...

Sold the '80 SG today. Took a couple weeks but I think the right person got it.

Attachments

• 20180725_154739.jpg
    20180725_154739.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 149
Here's a quick photo essay of me taking the head of the N36 needles in my CVK34 carbs (with the help of a teeny tiny spanner) and fitting them to some JJJ-46 PWK needles with the clips on the 3rd slot.

IMG_20180821_153623.jpg IMG_20180821_193601.jpg IMG_20180821_193651.jpg

IMG_20180821_194143.jpg
IMG_20180821_211536.jpg
IMG_20180821_211701.jpg

IMG_20180821_214417.jpg

I had heard it described, but thought I'd do some photos myself, I used a 3.5mm drill bit for the heads.
Be sure to wiggle the plastic spring holders because they jam a bit on the clip.

Last edited:
I just got the bike Sunday pulled off the caliper piston was corroded but the rest of the caliper is fine I put it back together put some clean brake fluid in the master cylinder used some quarter inch plywood pieces for brake pads which I don't have yet and sure enough everything is holding fluid and the lover is firm I'm thinking I might just get away with new piston and the caliper rebuild kit new New Pads and I guess I have to have Shims also I don't know it sure would be nice if I could just buy I whole caliper with pads and shims

20180823_185621.jpg
Won't be long now!
The 77 went outside the garage for its first start this year. Used a test tank and a powerbox and it fired up on the button quite readily, idled nicely. Have to get the front brake sorted, otherwise will add on the accessories (an ok red 76 tank, ok 75 sidecovers and a decent seat) to get it ready for its exposure on Kijiji.

Rode the SG the other day and lost charging. Got home OK. worked on it last night. Rotor OK! Stator OK. WHEW! Looking at wires and found a jumper wire on the brown wire came disconnected. Found a new larger spade connector and crimped it on. I was hoping the Fiat reg and rectifier were OK. Ran her up this morning and she is charging again!! YEAH! I was so happy, I gave her chain a cleaning and lube.

View attachment 124769 Won't be long now!
The 77 went outside the garage for its first start this year. Used a test tank and a powerbox and it fired up on the button quite readily, idled nicely. Have to get the front brake sorted, otherwise will add on the accessories (an ok red 76 tank, ok 75 sidecovers and a decent seat) to get it ready for its exposure on Kijiji.

Well done Lakeview - another nice old Standard for the road!

Azman - good going on that charging system. Quite the tussle you’ve been having with it there!

Pete

I know Pete. I've must have upset her and she is letting me know all about it. It's cooling down some, so maybe I'll ride her more now

Back