What have you done to your XS today?

Finished the install of the lighter rear disc. Due to the reduced dish I was able to solve the problem of my brake stay being uncomfortably close to the spring. I just had to order some new 20mm spacers. Much better now.
IMG_0082.jpg

I also installed a new chain guard . I found this aftermarket SS guard on fleabay for $30. Just needed a little notch to clear the spring and was able to bolt it right up.
IMG_0083.jpg

One of these days I am going to document this build in a project thread instead of being spread all over the Forum.

Yesterday was riding along and coming to a traffic light on my '76 when the electrics went dead quicker than you could say Lucas!
Coasted into a handy drug store parking lot and determined that blade style fuse had vibrated almost out of its holder.
Other checks were done but pushing the fuse back in and arranging the wires so gravity would help had me on the way.
Flat bed service from CAA I found out would have been at least 2 hours. Gotta get my trailer back from the cottage!

HBC, you probably already know this from your reading that new friction plates need to have a good soak in oil before their installation. Some recommend they be soaked overnight. If you want to stack them in oil then put some spacers between each plate - nails are convenient for this purpose and usually easy to find.

HBC, you probably already know this from your reading that new friction plates need to have a good soak in oil before their installation. Some recommend they be soaked overnight. If you want to stack them in oil then put some spacers between each plate - nails are convenient for this purpose and usually easy to find.

Cheers Paul, I had heard this was the thing to do, is there any harm in leaving them soaking for a few days while I wait for my impact driver to turn up?

Indeed - this soaking process (AT LEAST overnight - but longer is fine too) is a crucial step! The other thing to emphasize is that the XS650 clutch assembly has a whole bunch of washers, spacers, etc. etc. and they MUST all be in the correct order for the thing to function properly - so keep careful track as you disassemble it.

On the matter of the impact driver - an essential tool for getting the stock clutch screws off: be sure to hold the driver very firmly against the screw head - and then "pre-load" it by rotating it counter-clockwise (i.e. in the loosening direction) BEFORE hitting the end a sharp blow.

This will ensure that all of the rotational motion of the driver goes into loosening the screws and they should simply pop loose right away. If you find you're hitting them and they are NOT loosening - stop and get yourself re-set. One or two blows should do it.

Great score on nice OEM parts Highboy Coupe!

Pete

Fri or Sat I continued work on the SG's charging system. I used the fiat regulator and cleaned up the rectifiers. mounted up the regulator to the plate that went under the battery where the TCI used to be. Made the needed changes to make the connections. Got some gas in the tank and gave the carbs a shot or 3 of carb cleaner to get the engine started. Revved engine up and got 14volts. I'll take that!

678C4AA6-95B2-447D-BD64-4233BAE004C8.png
I’m not sure what thread to post this in. I just sent a message to this seller explaining in great detail that this is a worn/junk part and that they need to remove it from selling, because it is NOT usable and they are NOT disclosing the true condition of it. I’m willing to believe they just didn’t know, but now that I have explained to them the common issue of the black plastic completely seperating, they can’t claim ignorance anymore. Here is a link to the listing. Hopefully they take it down before some un-witting shade tree XS owner buys it and ruins their engine. Or, at the very least, their time/money.
https://www.m.ebay.com/itm/1978-YAM...INE-CAM-CHAIN-TENSIONER-GUIDE-B-/291227064545

Last edited:
You are entirely correct TZ - that guide is absolutely unusable and of no value whatsoever - as it sits.

If the vendor thinks it is OK as-is - he is not very bright and if he realizes that it is a useless part, then he is a crook.

Last edited:
Back