What have you done to your XS today?

Little bit of work for my cafe project I did waiting for the snow to melt.

Attachments

• DSC03258.jpg
    DSC03258.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC03257.jpg
    DSC03257.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 182
I installed the my newly cleaned and rebuilt carbs (new floats & gaskets to replace 2 leakers) and a few little odds & ends from Mike's. That seems to have fixed the leaky carbs :)bike:), but I think the float level in the right carb is slightly off as I'm getting some popping on deceleration. Put on 25ish miles and had great performance but annoying sound for sure... plus riding lazily to avoid it. Could be a synch issue maybe? I adjusted it to the point I had written but maybe not close enough... So theres that. :shrug: Hopefully changing the oil filters and adding my HHB oil cooler tomorrow if the snow stays gone. haha. Im going to attempt to polish the side covers to get close to Hugh's awesome finish on the cooler if I can. First day out 2014, already got two compliments on my Betsea. Not too shabby :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 0413141726.jpg
    0413141726.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 0413141726a.jpg
    0413141726a.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 0413141727.jpg
    0413141727.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 0413141727a.jpg
    0413141727a.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 0413141728.jpg
    0413141728.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 150
I took my SG to Carl's Jr so I could have lunch and them to the DMAFB open house/airshow. Afterwards, took her for a ride to Rita Ranch-Vail and then Old Spanish Trail to Golf Links and home. A good day.

I welded a new kick arm/pedal thing on the center stand. Now before anyone calls me out on how ugly it is, I don't actually ride around with the stand attached; it's just for holding it up in the shop.

Drove 70 miles to hippy killer hoedown sat. Got 60mpg on hwy. bike made the trip no issues. Don't know how I lost to a run of the mill cb750 chop(oh wait the judge has a kz1100 and is 70's style chopper) I thought I had that best jap award in the bag. Saw about 3 xs650. Would I hit up hk again probably not. But glad to put that in bucket list.
1FE1ED2C-9C2B-45F8-8F86-1F2568414290.jpg

82F8A486-DD9D-488D-A77C-721182688B9C.png

Drove 70 miles to hippy killer hoedown sat. Got 60mpg on hwy. bike made the trip no issues. Don't know how I lost to a run of the mill cb750 chop(oh wait the judge has a kz1100 and is 70's style chopper) I thought I had that best jap award in the bag. Saw about 3 xs650. Would I hit up hk again probably not. But glad to put that in bucket list.
1FE1ED2C-9C2B-45F8-8F86-1F2568414290.jpg

82F8A486-DD9D-488D-A77C-721182688B9C.png

Because it's nice and shiny! No one appreciates the "rat" look! I do! I would have voted for you over that blue polished turd!:thumbsup:

Lots of people appreciate the Look. My friend who owns el diable moto cartel had a cb650 with patina. Has a an old tractor rear tire.70's narrow Springer front with 23" old metal scooter seat. Shortened modified tank that has braze on the connections 4 into 1 intake with 1 carb etc etc But the people passing by would stop dead in their tracts and point out the stuff on the bike. I was at his booth all day and could see the looks on peoples faces.
The painted and polished look is fine. But that's all I see. Is a nice painted polished bike. Nothing I have not seen with other old 70 style chopper. Plain as fuck. Cookie cutter. :/ I daily drive my bike. It's leaks oils, sometimes gas out of the fuel cap. I have went down on the bike. The bike has fell over due to short kickstand and was on light decline. I didn't have a heart attack when those things happened. I just picked it up and dusted it off. Fix the things that broke. And kept riding!!!!

Lots of people appreciate the Look. My friend who owns el diable moto cartel had a cb650 with patina. Has a an old tractor rear tire.70's narrow Springer front with 23" old metal scooter seat. Shortened modified tank that has braze on the connections 4 into 1 intake with 1 carb etc etc But the people passing by would stop dead in their tracts and point out the stuff on the bike. I was at his booth all day and could see the looks on peoples faces.
The painted and polished look is fine. But that's all I see. Is a nice painted polished bike. Nothing I have not seen with other old 70 style chopper. Plain as fuck. Cookie cutter. :/ I daily drive my bike. It's leaks oils, sometimes gas out of the fuel cap. I have went down on the bike. The bike has fell over due to short kickstand and was on light decline. I didn't have a heart attack when those things happened. I just picked it up and dusted it off. Fix the things that broke. And kept riding!!!!

Yeah! A bike that shiny would scare me! Or I would spend days polishing it up again after going for a spin around the block!:bike: Hence why my bike is mostly BLACK!!!:D

I brushed the snow off my bike and cleaned up the driveway.

Been riding for about 2 weeks now. Rode home from work last night around nine, temperature in the high thirties or low 40's, woke up this morning to a couple inches of snow.

IMG_1295a.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

Well I always seem to have problems loading pics. But, I have been rebuilding my xs650 over the past couple of months. Last summer I bought a bobbed out 650 and road the piss out of it. Fun little bike! Anyways I have had to replace the piston rings, several gaskets, and seals. With the motor was disassembled I painted it black and polished all the covers to bare aluminum. This past weekend I welded on some new cross brackets for the battery box and chain tensioner, post for license plate bracket, and filled in some gaps. Last night I primed the frame and tonight I am giving it fresh new coat of gloss black paint. Hopefully tomorrow I can start to put some things back together and get it looking like a bike again. Working on a bracket and setup for a hydraulic foot clutch and welding in bungs for the sight glass for the gas tank. Try to post some pics again soon.

I took my wheels, new tires, tubes & strips to a local shop so the "pros" with the right equipment could mount them .... front tire was flat by the time I got it home! Aired it back up and could easily hear the distinct hiss of a pinched tube .... Guess I know what I'll be doing to my XS650 tomorrow .....

Last edited:
Removed carbs for rebuild on my problem child 1982 HJ. Jumped the terminals to confirm my starter indeed cranks over, starter relay doesn't show 12v. Removed headlight and found frayed Blue/White push start ground wire. Researching next move.

Oh yeah, a box of parts coming later today from MikesXS - but that's all for Today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 157
I got a new tube and a "my bad" from the mechanic that pinched it yesterday. He even threw in a set of dyna beads for both wheels - so we're all good now! cleaning it up and putting it on tonight. I've heard good things about those dyna beads -- looking forward to seeing how they do!

Back