What have you done to your XS today?

Today I fiddled with the EX500 carbs. I cleaned and re jetted them. I have a EX500 throttle that I removed the wiring, just using the throttle housing. I am still waiting on my throttle tube to be delivered. I have cables going to work nice. More when I get things dialed in.

Vsop I am more than happy with my Vm34's great power and now great MPG. I probably could not ask for more. What the heck give a try anyways.

Tonyc, I were happy for my TM34-2 aswell, just the urge to find the perfect match drowe me to the Lectrons. Im glad I have both pairs to switch between, the are both a great pair of carbs. Just now, the easiness of the Lectrons kind of appeals to me. ;)

Took the cover off it, pull it out of the shed after 6 weeks, dusted it off, fired up straight away and idled perfectly. Then rode it 26k's home. I swear I've got all of the bugs out of this bike and it's very reliable now.

Jafladd, There are many threads on Master Cylinders. Yours being a round one it is on a 72-76 bike. Right? If so it has a 16 mm bore. You might find a rebuild kit but they cost.
I might suggest shopping Ebay. Sellers on there sell a 14 mm bore M/C for around $30. I currently run one on my 75. They smaller bore M/c will improve the brake action and feel over that 166 mm one you have.
On lines braided stainless steel is the best.
You caliper is not hard to tear down to clean.
Threads on that to. A bit of searching will find them
Leo
Thanks Leo, I have been looking at different sets. I just wasn't sure about what lines to buy with them or if they are pretty much all the same. You nailed it by the way, its a 75.

Hey all---I finished fabing a mount and installing a digital volt meter on my ride to keep me informed. tim

I picked up some carbs this week myself. Almost feel bad I'm leaving for vacation this weekend and won't be back until late next Sunday. Maybe I will get time after work one day.

High water on the Sylamore Creek in Stone Co. Arkansas has been keeping the XS land locked. Only able to toodle around in the yard.

Hope to meet a few of you at the XS Rallye in Mt. View, AR next month.

DSCN5294_zpspqhnyz0v.jpg

DSCN5287_zpsbhicdjcm.jpg

DSCN5284_zpsjjvudv8l.jpg
The bike is great looking. Hopefully mine will look that good when I get it finished.

Today I have all of the parts to convert to CVK carbs. I have a ex500 throttle control that I stripped the electrics. I purchased new Uni filters, new cables, and new throttle tube. I attached the cables to the throttle and carbs off the bike. It works great. I cleaned and re-jetted the carbs. I am all set for this week-end to mount the carbs. P.S. I hope my Mikuni carb holders work. The VM34's can use CV34 holders and I have vm34's on the bike. I will cross my fingers.

Filled it up and rode it till I had to fill it up again, then rode it some more! These bikes are awesome once you get the bugs worked out.

Attachments

• myxs1.jpg
    myxs1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 113
Last spring my Heritage Special's original seat cover split some of it's heat embossed seams so I ordered a Saddlemens replacement cover.
Finally got around to the installation attempt yesterday.
The old cover came off quite easily and none of the little triangular spikes broke off, either.
That was the last easy thing.
Phoned my son:-
"How well did that Saddlemens cover install go on your bike last year?"
"I had to fight with it."
"Come over and help me fight with mine?"
With the two of us grunting and tugging we finally managed to stretch the cover into place and it looked real good.
Then I noticed the pointy corner on the side of the seat pan that the effin' stylists put there to match the sidecovers had punched through the fabric on one side despite the seat pan's U-section protective strip.
"Did that on mine, too." Sez Eric. "A little dab of Vinyl Repair will fix it OK."
So, for anyone attempting to replace a Special's seat cover, Eff the effin' stylists!
Take an angle grinder to that nasty sharp corner and turn it into a nice easy radius, eh?

I started her up to hear her run. Couldn't get a ride in today.

Took off my vm34's to put on my CVK34's. I was hoping to use the Mikuni carb holders, The intake diameter wise is a go, but spacing is a bit off. I will have bite the bullet and get bs34 carb holders like everyone else. Bummer. I purchased a ex500 throttle housing, new throttle tube, and new cables. These will work good.

Back