What have you done to your XS today?

I put another 100 or so highway ks and my frankencarb set up, a LHS 73 BS38 and a RHS 1970-71 BS38.

Didn't miss a beat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 225
The good news is that out of curiosity when I had to move my bike from it's spot in the garage where it's been parked since last October I turned on the gas, pulled the choke, turned the key, pressed the button and it fired right up.
The bad news is that I only moved the bike to take the snowblower out to clean 2" of new snow from the drive and sidewalk.
And there's the usual March Blizzard still to come.
Global warming? In Saskatoon, not too much.

Did a lot today on it after leaving it sit neglected for a long time. went through all the wiring in the headlight bucket because I forgot how I wired it, had to go back and read some of my own posts.
figured out what all 5 wires that come from the headlight bucket back to my electrical box and hooked them up to the proper spots. had to attach my hot and ground in the box. Then I crimped new connectors on my 3 white, black and green light coming from the alternator to the vr-115 and the 3 phase rectifier.
Then i cleaned up the points and advance housings removed the gaskets from the back put in new seals gaskets and o ring and mounted them. Then I put the pamco plate on and loosely put its 2 screws in then attached the pickup plate with magnets and washer on with washer and nut, not to forget the dowel pin. Went to other side and added the advance eliminator. Then read up on wiring of the pamco and e-advancer. Feels good to work on it again.

Attachments

• HDR.jpg
    HDR.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 201
I put another 100 or so highway ks and my frankencarb set up, a LHS 73 BS38 and a RHS 1970-71 BS38.

Didn't miss a beat.
Good to hear a report on how it's worked!
Have you done some plug chops?

Ripe green grass, you're pissin' me off louis.... Great shot.

I put new fiber plates and fresh springs and oil in my '83 last November . I went to ride it for the first ride yesterday and it has fused it's self together. No more slipping issue I guess....

Found the short in wiring harness that has had be stumped for a couple days. Pulled the carbs off to soak in carb cleaner and just ordered kit from Mike's to build them back up. 1976 XS650C.:)

Good to hear a report on how it's worked!
Have you done some plug chops?

Ripe green grass, you're pissin' me off louis.... Great shot.

Hey Gary! Had to look up what a plug chop even was, being my first bike and all. I'll get to that sometime soon.

Grass is always greener on the other side (literally). I've loved the time I've spent in the US and bikes and cars are basically free.

Went to start it up today and a few seconds after turning on the petcock I see gas pouring out of my air filter!!!

(Argh...I had just ridden it a few days ago and all was well. Couldn't be plugged up).

So I turn off the petcock, I tap the float bowl a few times, turn back on the petcock and no more leak. I start it up... run it down the street...no leak. Park it, turn on/off the petcock...no leak. OK...

I'm going to see if it sticks again later this week before tearing into it...hopefully it was just a random occurrence. (Wishful thinking right?).

Love these bikes

I just go every 45 mins and look at her and wonder all the things that i'd do to her if only I had money.
And Im talking about the XS:laugh:

I just go every 45 mins and look at her and wonder all the things that i'd do to her if only I had money.
And Im talking about the XS:laugh:

LOL They respond well to the polish rag too...

Brass neck; I don't worry "too much" about an occasional gusher on wake up. Like you suggest sometimes they just stick from sitting.

fall and bs34s 005.jpg

Other times some cleaning is needed.

Wanted to do something special for the xs today. I am in the process of hooking up my pamco and e-advance and could not find the right location for the blue case the advance comes in and it did not match my paint so had 3 cad parts drawn up by my brother and we machined them out on my cnc router table. I chose black HDPE at one inch thick. We made a yoke that snaps on the downtube and a box and cover attaches to it. I still have to make slots in the top of the box for my wires to come out but want to wait and see where I want the wires to come out. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
On mine, nothin'.
It started just fine after it's winter sleep and it's still waiting for the snow to go away.
My son showed up Sunday to pull his '80 out of our back shed, his sidecar from under our back deck, drag them into my garage so he and I could build his rig back together and he could ride the assembled rig back home.
Didn't quite happen although it came close.
Rig rideable yesterday but although he's OK to ride those few miles in the cold the icy roads and freezing rain somehow empowered his inner chicken.
The bad thing is with three sidecar rigs in the garage my wife's car don't fit in there.
The good thing is because it's her son's rig what's doing it I'm not bound by the
"If there's no room for my car you get to scrape it's windows in the morning"
parking agreement.

last week made a 50mm X 48mm X 10mm bushing to solve issue described in http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38716 today installed this bushing slight interference fit, the front end feels tight now. going to reroute wiring and finish reassembly soon. it'll be a couple weeks for a new new rear tire (to replace the 40 year old never on street new tire). then we ride! oh yeah, i rode the RoadKing yesterday and today nice that winter is finally backing off.

as i have posted I bought a 1979 Special 650 that was parked,outside, for 31 years. It has 11000 original miles on it and looks like hell. Well today, I just couldn't stand it any longer so I bought a battery just to see if anything on the thing worked. Couldn't believe it but when I turned the key on every dash light came on and every system on the thing worked like new. even the horn! Bumped the starter button and the starter came to life like it was used yesterday. Cant wait till I get back from vacation to put the carbs on, service the thing and give it a try. I suspect the engine to start and run fine. Good Day!!

Carefull when you do the oil change. I once bought a vw engine for a trike I had and it had not ran in a long time. I pulled the drain plug out of the bottom and nothing came out. So I added some oil because I did not want it setting empty. What a surprise when I got around to work on that engine. The oil had solidified on the oil screen and couldnt drain out and I had over filled it by 3 quarts.

Carefull when you do the oil change. I once bought a vw engine for a trike I had and it had not ran in a long time. I pulled the drain plug out of the bottom and nothing came out. So I added some oil because I did not want it setting empty. What a surprise when I got around to work on that engine. The oil had solidified on the oil screen and couldnt drain out and I had over filled it by 3 quarts.
I ran into that problem when I worked for Cummins diesel. A repair shop called to ask how to drain the oil, they had removed the pan plug and nothing came out. I told them to shove a screwdriver in the hole and see what happens. I never heard back from them. I'll replace both filters when I service the engine. I only hit the starter long enough to see that it would engage and turn the engine.

Back