What have you done to your XS today?

Have spend some time reconfiguring the wire harness and prepping it for my new Bigbore 750 Heiden Tuning engine with Dellorto Pumper Carbs and Hydraulic clutch and alot more. The wire harness had to be reconfigured for the new Powerdynamo setup with electonic boxes etc. Finally today got it all figured out and it rocks like a bomb..

Just a video showdown and in the end a electronic start... Kick is by the way a breeze.. ;)

https://vimeo.com/158800215

Installed my Hughs Handbuilt engine mount. Very clean looking and first class quality.
24D56482-4788-46F3-ACF4-E933BF3B8890_zpsjjpiocfs.jpg

Okay I'll bite. 2M How did you do it without plumbing?

Haha, Hey Signal! The fish are biting early tonight.
Was gonna leave it as another mystery, but I can't do that to y'all.

I plumbed an oil pressure gauge on my other XS1B back in 1974. 'Bout had a heart attack when I saw the low pressure, 15-20 psi cold, almost nuttin' when hot. This time around I thought I'd do it differently and NOT molest any precious, rare original castings.

I've been wanting to monitor the top end oiling for a long time. So, I added a fitting to the top of the oil tube, out-of-sight under the fuel tank. Took enuff pics to make a thread, if anyone thinks it's worthwhile.

Attachments

• OilPipeMod10.jpg
    OilPipeMod10.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 195
Thats pretty neat.. hardly visible.. ;) there might be an alternative way if the oil tubes were flexible tubes that ive seen illustrated sometimes.

Have spend some time reconfiguring the wire harness and prepping it for my new Bigbore 750 Heiden Tuning engine with Dellorto Pumper Carbs and Hydraulic clutch and alot more. The wire harness had to be reconfigured for the new Powerdynamo setup with electonic boxes etc. Finally today got it all figured out and it rocks like a bomb..

Just a video showdown and in the end a electronic start... Kick is by the way a breeze.. ;)

https://vimeo.com/158800215
Hydraulic clutch??? where would a novice look for that conversion?

2M a picture tells a thousand words. Thanks.

Doug 79 do a search on this site there a numerous threads on hydraulic clutches. Also check out the XS Café. https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/
Thanks, Im kinda glad i am having to put off starting this project since I am finding more things that I will want to do and will be able to incorporate them in the original build rather than having to go in and redo systems later.

I decided to track down the reason for not having a front brake light.
I expected to find the wire broken at a connection, not the case.
Found the break. I'm not sure how it happened.
Having an extra parts harness I chose to rob the wire from it.
Pulled the new wire in and then pulled the old wire out. That is when I found the break.
Laying the old wire back on the harness for placement and the break happened at what is a hard bend in the plastic cover. So I cut the cover to check the wires inside.
None of the other wiring showed any signs of abrasion.
Trapped the new smoke with tape and we are back in business with a working front brake light.
Now to see if it had something to do with my power surges blowing the tail light element.

Attachments

• pulling replacment wire.jpg
    pulling replacment wire.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 172
  • WIRE FRAY.jpg
    WIRE FRAY.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 165
  • no other damage.jpg
    no other damage.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 166
  • trapped smoke.jpg
    trapped smoke.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 182
- - - I've been wanting to monitor the top end oiling for a long time. So, I added a fitting to the top of the oil tube, out-of-sight under the fuel tank. Took enuff pics to make a thread, if anyone thinks it's worthwhile.

Hi 2Many,
kudos to you, that's an elegant way to tap off a pressure line.
Your next task, should you care to accept it, is to dream up an oil flow rate measurement system.
On my old BSA you just removed the oil tank cap to see if the oil was flowing back into the tank in a steady stream.

Hi 2Many,
kudos to you, that's an elegant way to tap off a pressure line.

Hey, Fred. Thanx. Now you dunnit. Maybe I WILL do a thread on this.

Your next task, should you care to accept it, is to dream up an oil flow rate measurement system.

Been cogitatin' on that for quite awhile. Have an idea, I'll put it in that future thread.

On my old BSA you just removed the oil tank cap to see if the oil was flowing back into the tank in a steady stream.

I used to do that on my ol' panhead. Same on older Triumphs.
Agree that it's nice to see whut's goin' on...

- - - I used to do that on my ol' panhead. Same on older Triumphs.
Agree that it's nice to see whut's goin' on...

Hi 2Many,
come to think of it, the later model BSA singles that were design-based on the Triumph Terrier did have an oil pressure tap built in, rigged to operate a low oil pressure warning light.
Although they pretty soon plugged the pressure tap, removed the pressure switch and switched the red light so it warned of alternator failure.
Seems as the oil pump only put out mebbe 5psi and the less than accurate pressure switch was set to signal at 3psi they got a whole bunch of warranty claims and rider dissatisfaction.
Then it was back to the poor man's flow gauge; squinting into the oil tank.

Back