What have you done to your XS today?

Hi Tron: yup, I agree with the others.

My 1976 Standard is a red version of your bike and while I do love the bike, my tins aren't nearly as nice as yours. With a stock seat - it really is an extremely nice motorcycle to ride and enjoy and it has timeless and classic looks that turns heads everywhere.

Cheers,

Pete

IMG_1951.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_1884.JPG IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1878.JPG IMG_1877.JPG IMG_1875.JPG

Ok. Here's more photos of my worm. Took it off, re greased. No cracks, seems fine. Re routed cable to the most arch I could get. Left it loose and tank off. Also cleaned push rid and shoved fresh 20 50 in the hole. Hooked back up and no diff - stiff. I have my cable hung up now with lube and plastic bags for the day. Will re try tonight. :) tried to upload video.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I've been looking for the correct seat on ebay and people are asking insane amounts IMO. I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on one. Got my 2 carb kits and new OEM look alike front master cylinder yesterday from MikesXS. Going to try and get her running this weekend.

What did I do to my XS today? RODE IT! Yay I finally got to clock a bit more than a mile or two at a wack. Rode probably 20 miles with my Sunpro volt meter on the bars to watch voltages and it seems to hold 14v give or take. So how hard do you guys push these things? I feel like it's screaming at 50mph. Probably 4k or so. Can't even imagine highway speeds which happen to be 80 here.

Anyways it was awesome to get home after a real ride, have beer and just look at it. Finally feel a connection has been made.
XS650 small.jpg

I have had my '76 Standard up to around 80 mph recently - but it does feel rushed. I usually putter along at 50-60 mph and things feel quite nice at that speed.

Back in the 1970's, I went out on the superslab with the goal of "doing the ton" on my 1975 XS650B - but the speedo was dancing so much (and my eyeballs were vibrating so much) that I cannot confirm exactly how fast I was going. It sure was loud though.

I like your bike - it is a '75 isn't it?

Pete

Last edited:
The title says '74. Man o Man is it ever a vibratory machine. I have a mirror on it for legal reasons but it is useless above 2mph.

Yup, if you're used to a modern multi-cylinder bike, the XS650 is a bit of mobile a paint shaker.

You can get vibration isolators for the mirrors - these are special little studs with a rubber insert that mount between the mirror and the handlebar (or caliper housing). MikesXS sells them for a few bucks each and I've found that they help. Just be aware that stock Yamaha mirror stem uses a LEFT hand thread on the right hand mirror. If you have an aftermarket brake master cylinder - it will likely have a RH thread and so one of those special studs won't fit.

I would also ask - are all of your engine mounts secure?

There are quite a few mounts - including one right on the top of the cylinder head - and they all should be torqued up.

Finally, if the carburetors are not properly balanced, it can make the engine run rough.

Last edited:
I pulled my 82' into the shop again and replaced 4 of the female connectors I had put on previously with New Crimp on types because the old ones broke when I tried to squeeze them with the pliers to make them tighter ! brittle brass !
anyway when I road it into the shop I noticed my light was out in the speedometer so I pulled it loose got the bulb out and will go to the napa auto parts store tomorrow and get a few of them..... and replace it forth with !....
I suppose I should pull the tachometer again as it quit working completely again ! there is no way to fix it right so I've been jerry-rigging it
all this time ...it works fer a while then brakes again ! this time I will add allot of JB Weld to it !!!!! LOL
..... the cable attachment part has broken loose.... and there is no meat to re rivet it in there properly.
Monster Rat: My XS650 put my hands to sleep in the first mile when I first got it running it vibrated real bad... BUT with the Pilot air screws adjusted correctly and the carbs Synced real good it hardly vibrates at all now.... no problem seeing what's behind me in the mirrors
and my hands are good for about 50 miles now !
I think the main cure is carb syncing I made 2M's carb syncer and it works wonders..... super accurate !
.....here's a link to the one I built.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/carb-sync.48939/
Bob.......

Monster Rat: My XS650 put my hands to sleep in the first mile when I first got it running it vibrated real bad... BUT with the Pilot air screws adjusted correctly and the carbs Synced real good it hardly vibrates at all now.... no problem seeing what's behind me in the mirrors
Bob.......

no way .............I want what your on...................that crank would make the vibrations worse for your rear view veiw.............lol

Your truly a Obnoxious ass Skull !
I am just reporting what I found with my bike, you don't have to believe me so f**k off !
oooh wait it's late friday night and we're all supposed to expect you to be a jerk ....and over look your meanness.... why don't you go dig a hole and crawl into it and die and do the world a favor you jerk !
and You would be best to not comment on my posts as you have warned me about commenting on yours, the street runs both ways !
but I guess you don't follow your own rules.... which means you are not much of a person in any case, though I already knew that , thank you for proving it to others !
Bob......

Yup, if you're used to a modern multi-cylinder bike, the XS650 is a bit of mobile a paint shaker.

You can get vibration isolators for the mirrors - these are special little studs with a rubber insert that mount between the mirror and the handlebar (or caliper housing). MikesXS sells them for a few bucks each and I've found that they help. Just be aware that stock Yamaha mirror stem uses a LEFT hand thread on the right hand mirror. If you have an aftermarket brake master cylinder - it will likely have a RH thread and so one of those special studs won't fit.

I would also ask - are all of your engine mounts secure?

There are quite a few mounts - including one right on the top of the cylinder head - and they all should be torqued up.

Finally, if the carburetors are not properly balanced, it can make the engine run rough.

That is a good idea about checking the engine mounting hardware, will do. I am sure a good tune on the carbs is in order for sure!

I think the main cure is carb syncing I made 2M's carb syncer and it works wonders..... super accurate !
.....here's a link to the one I built.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/carb-sync.48939/
Bob.......

Thanks for the link Bob!

I think many of us find that the basic tune up procedures are quite effective in reducing the XS vibes to their minimum and when they do smooth out, what's left is rather pleasing.

Pete mentioned being sure your engine mounts are torqued properly. Same goes for every other fastener on this bike. Some are notorious for their looseness. Those engine mounts, the four head bolts with rubber covered washers, and the big drive sprocket nut come to mind.

Next, Pete and Bob mentioned carb sync and pilot screws. These are only part of the tune up procedure and are most effective at or near idle.

I'd recommend going through the whole tuning sequence. This first time will be just that, the first time. As you get to know her and as every little thing comes closer to its proper setting in relationship to everything else, you'll find that the bike gets sweeter and sweeter.

This might seem like a lot of work as you're learning it for the first time, but soon it will be rote and a quick process. I do it every 1000 miles with an oil change, but by now I'm mostly just checking that all is good, there usually isn't any required adjustment.

Cam chain tension
Valve lash
Timing
(This was my version of Bob's magic fix. I had unbearable vibes between 35-4000rpm and my first timing adjustment took care of much of it. She was 85% better and 400% more enjoyable to ride, but it was just the beginning of dialing her in.)
Pilot screws
Carb sync

All these tuning steps work together. No one step is the cure-all.

In addition, these tuning steps will attempt to fix inadequacies elsewhere and can be a good diagnostic tool. For example, if one side's pilot screw needs an extra turn out from spec vs the other, there's a fair chance you have an air leak or dirty pilot circuit on that side.

Find and fix that air leak or dirty carb, redo the screw setting, you might find the two sides' settings are now closer. Getting both sides working their best as individuals and as a partnered pair is the key to a smooth running bike.

At least that's what I've found in my year and 3000 miles of ownership. Others around here have been riding and tuning these things for decades and tens of thousands of miles.

What did I do to my XS today? RODE IT! Yay I finally got to clock a bit more than a mile or two at a wack. Rode probably 20 miles with my Sunpro volt meter on the bars to watch voltages and it seems to hold 14v give or take. So how hard do you guys push these things? I feel like it's screaming at 50mph. Probably 4k or so. Can't even imagine highway speeds which happen to be 80 here.

Anyways it was awesome to get home after a real ride, have beer and just look at it. Finally feel a connection has been made.
View attachment 105455
These bikes are not meant for riding at 80 mph. If you want to drive that fast, then you should buy another more powerful bike. Once you have everything tuned up, they are quite pleasant to drive at 100 kms/hr (62 mph) . I use 17/33 sprockets, and turn 3800 rpm at 100 kms/hr. My engine feels very comfortable at that rpm. I have driven 620 kms in one day at that speed and the engine just loves it.
This is a bike designed in the 1960s..........................you can't compare it to the silky smooth 4 cylinder bikes of today.

These bikes are not meant for riding at 80 mph. If you want to drive that fast, then you should buy another more powerful bike. Once you have everything tuned up, they are quite pleasant to drive at 100 kms/hr (62 mph) . I use 17/33 sprockets, and turn 3800 rpm at 100 kms/hr. My engine feels very comfortable at that rpm. I have driven 620 kms in one day at that speed and the engine just loves it.
This is a bike designed in the 1960s..........................you can't compare it to the silky smooth 4 cylinder bikes of today.

Oh no, I am not speaking bad about the bike, just making sure it is normal for them to be up in the R's at 50-60mph. I have only ever had 1 cylinder bikes before this so it is all new to me, and believe me an XR400 is screaming pretty hard at 60mph too. I do have an XJ650 in the works too, so that would be more of a cruiser. The XS is just a sweet old bike.

LOL Yes from single cylinder machines the RPM's do seam quite high....
I had a single cyl XRL Honda 650cc and loved it but it too was geared fairly low so at 60mph it was buzzing fairly bad
it's about the same with the xs650 but you travel at those speeds more than on a single... I have the same complaint.... the bike is just too low geared for normal freeway cruising .... I intend on replacing both sprockets and chain in the future and replace the rear sprocket with a smaller one by 2 teeth... I think I have a 34 tooth sprocket on it now ...
although it will take a big chunk off the bottom end acceleration, I don't care that much I'ed rather keep the RPMS down at cruse speed.
Bob.......

Cleaning up the slip rings, fitting new brushes after the gym, checked out the resistance of the rotor, cleaned the terminals in the terminal block, then went for a 80 mile ride. I managed to get home 20 minutes before my wife's return from her hair dressing appointment.
''What have you been up to honey"? Just working around the home, fixed the sink, had a clean up......one day, I'll get caught......
Today, Father's Day :), it's also our 23rd wedding anniversary, get to go for two rides....:laughing:

Last edited:
Back