What have you done to your XS today?

Took the frame to the welders after getting the old broken case bolted in to keep everything from twisting. Welder is a pro with a legit frame jig and mega TIG welder. Had to borrow my sister's focus to get it there lol. Also did some bits and bobs on the engine to pass the time. If you'd like to follow along with this thing I post regular updates to instagram on muckroute. All constructive criticism is welcome!
IMG_9193.jpg IMG_9194.jpg IMG_9231.jpg

Morning. I am a bit of a lurker here, and not much of a poster. I have a couple of XSs, but haven't posted anything on them, as neither of them are riders for a couple years now, and my progress on them has been so slow that to call it progress is being generous to me. But I do visit the forum most every day and try to learn what I can.

However...a couple of weeks ago my sons and I dragged this one out into the sun. I bought it as an even uglier thing with a HD sportster tank on it, but I have always wanted to build a little hardtail. This was originally an '81, but the hardtail was on when I bought it. So over the last couple of weeks we put some BS34s on it from gggGary, and timed the magneto (I know, only an idiot would use 100-year-old tech. when perfectly good TCI boxes are around), and lit her up. We had fuel leaks and an accelerating idle, so air leaks too probably. Yesterday we pulled it out again, went over everything carefully, and tried again. No fuel leaks, starts well with the pedal, and the idle and throttle response are nice. No doubt will need tuning, but I am pretty happy with our actual progress. After these pictures were taken we installed some baffle tubes in those weird pipes.

IMG_0261.jpgIMG_0262.jpg

Took the frame to the welders after getting the old broken case bolted in to keep everything from twisting. Welder is a pro with a legit frame jig and mega TIG welder. Had to borrow my sister's focus to get it there lol. Also did some bits and bobs on the engine to pass the time. If you'd like to follow along with this thing I post regular updates to instagram on muckroute. All constructive criticism is welcome!
View attachment 164147 View attachment 164148 View attachment 164149

Good looking frame! Good looking dogs!

Been a great day. Spotted a canary yellow Lincoln on my way home with my daughter this morning. Had to show her up close.
AB76B644-BA55-43C6-8E7A-4B1ADA19ED9A.jpeg

3DC71E10-F555-4AF5-BAA0-CD46A6B1D486.jpeg

I’ve had three of these cars, two white and the most recent one baby blue; with a white coach top and turbine alloys just like this one. It was my daily driver when I met her mother. We had some wild times in that car. Always made me think of Billy Joels’ “It’s still rocknroll to me”. “Nowadays you can’t get too sentimental- your best bet’s a true baby blue Continental” One of my favorite cars I’ve had. Took the bike out for a lil spin to get warmed up, down to the parts store for some oil and fuel line, then Changed the oil and the plugs, and retarded the timing a bit since I adjusted the cam chain a few days ago. When she’s cool I’ll check the valves. I have new pegs on order from amazon, same style as the old ones I used to have on it, only chrome instead of unfinished aluminum. Mirrors are supposed to be here by Friday. Should have everything installed and tuned by May 1st, just in time for some real weather. Took a pic in the O Reilly parking lot cause it was just lookin so good.
1D44EF7F-CDB2-45A5-A115-5DC5A041A76E.jpeg

Happy Zombie Jesus day

Last edited:
Been a great day. Spotted a canary yellow Lincoln on my way home with my daughter this morning. Had to show her up close.

Those things are gigantic. No room for them in a modern garage so I wonder what the future market will look like for those and other land yachts.

I replaced the fuel lines with motion pro and Tygon lines. Also added a heat sleeve on the line from the petcock to the fuel filter (its close to the top of the engine). Put in a new metal fuel filter, new chain, exhaust heat shields I made from brass tubing, cut to fit a stainless brake line, bled the brakes, added a basic clamp for the brake line, a new clutch perch / lever and EZ pull clutch cable (adjusted it as recommended on this forum and it's so smooth!), and I am currently cleaning my filter pods. Cleaned them with gas, soapy water, clean water, and now LIGHTLY oiling them with 10W30. This is my wife's bike and I just need to weld in the mounts for the new battery box and I think I'll be done! Besides wiring in the headlight and tail light.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

d
I replaced the fuel lines with motion pro and Tygon lines. Also added a heat sleeve on the line from the petcock to the fuel filter (its close to the top of the engine). Put in a new metal fuel filter, new chain, exhaust heat shields I made from brass tubing, cut to fit a stainless brake line, bled the brakes, added a basic clamp for the brake line, a new clutch perch / lever and EZ pull clutch cable (adjusted it as recommended on this forum and it's so smooth!), and I am currently cleaning my filter pods. Cleaned them with gas, soapy water, clean water, and now LIGHTLY oiling them with 10W30. This is my wife's bike and I just need to weld in the mounts for the new battery box and I think I'll be done! Besides wiring in the headlight and tail light.
View attachment 164210 View attachment 164211 View attachment 164212 View attachment 164213 View attachment 164214

Diggin those grips

Last year I was able to buy the exact bike my uncle taught me to ride on 36 years ago (1974 TX650A). Pretty cool to have it. Electric start doesn't work but was able to get it running with kick starter. Man I forgot how much it shakes! Original everything except air cleaners (23K miles). Can't wait to go deeper and make her road worthy again.

Man I forgot how much it shakes! Original everything except air cleaners (23K miles). Can't wait to go deeper and make her road worthy again.

Cinnamon Girl! You will be surprised how much of that shake will go away once the timing is spot on and the carburetors are synced up!

Back