What is less experienced than a Newb?

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

First...thank you SO much for this site. I've been using it now for about 3 weeks to get up to speed on VERY basic things.

I know nothing about cars, or motorcycles, but I saw this bike on the porch of my father-in-laws rental and it really caught my eye. I paid $450 for it, and it didn't run. The PO said it did run, but the bike was blowing the main fuse when the key turned. I dove in...right or wrong and got the bike.

After perusing posts on this site, I realized that the stator was actually wired hot and every time the stator was put on the rotor, the main fuse blew. Simply moved the power wire on the stator and the main fuse stayed put.

Started the bike and had fuel pouring out of the left carb. Again, thanks to the site, I found out that my float was stuck (WTF is a float??? HAHAHA). Rebuilt the carbs (I love how I now say it non-nonchalantly now), put it back together and voila...a working bike.

Here is a video of the bike. It looks great, but since I know nothing about this bike, nor any other bike...perhaps you guys can tell me if the sound is good or if it is soon going to blow up. :)

Thanks guys, hope to contribute soon!

way to go!

I would drop the sump pan and check the main oil filter for tears. Also if the float was stuck and the petcock was on gas may have overflown into the engine. better safe than sorry at least change the oil.

adjust the valves you have some kind of ticking going on.

could also simply be an exhaust leak.

I will be researching your 2 suggestions so that I can understand what that means...AHAHAHA.

I am planning on changing the oil...and will check the sump pan.

When you say 'adjust the valves'....which valves would those be?

Thanks RFLIVES

It sounds pretty good. A little valvetrain noise is normal. Just check your valve lash and adjust your cam chain tensioner and you are probably good to go. Change the fluids and start to do an inspection of other things you might need (Tires, trim pieces, lights, etc...)

Nice going and welcome. Make sure you do your adjustments in order. These sytems work off of one another. So that being said, adjust, in this order,
the cam chain tensioner,
the valves,
the timing (if you have a points bike),
then move onto carb adjustments.
I'm sure you read www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
if not, then read it 'til your eyes bleed.
Here's a video on the cam chain,

Thanks littlebill31...you're posts have definitely pointed me in the right directions so far. You state: 'if you have a points bike'...I have an 81 with electronic ignition. That would mean I don't have a points bike right? Just checking as I'm not 100% sure what a points bike is. I'm planning on doing the oil change/sump filter check this weekend and I'll do the cam chain tensioner check as well.

Welcome to the group. It sounds like you are off to a good start, congratulations!

An '81 will be a TCI (electronic ignition) bike and no it won't have points.

Changing the oil for the first time...as everyone called out, the sump filter is blown out. Need to order a new one...from what I read mikes is the best. So....also am trying to check the cam chain tensioner....that's next. Had some tiny metal tidbits, but assume that's not terrible. Also...I know it's bad...but I had to take it out for a ride...I'm hooked...what a bike!

Hey there welcome ,your getin some good advice. and you did get a good deal. she looks dam good too. If you bike has the old style fuses I would change them to blade type. if you dont have a manual I would get one of those too.truly a must have in the ole tool box.Good luck with your new best friend .I hope you have as good a time workin n riden your XS as I do ,Ed :cheers:

Thanks IAC for the link! I did get a couple different manuals for Christmas. I also replaced the fuse box already, but with the glass fuses. Hopefully I don't regret that in the future. Good to hear I got a deal!

Yep, good deal especially if that came with a title.
Check those metal bits to see if they're steel or aluminum.....steel not so good- aluminum means a cam chain guide. Still a good deal if with a title.

I have the title....done. So, NJ....2 problems...how do I know the difference between steel and aluminum (I told you I was a newb....), also...I don't have the bits anymore as I cleaned them out....so not sure if it even matters....just curious. Seriously guys...i'm a computer, business nerd by day......I really haven't done anything like this before!

One sticks to a magnet, the other won't.
If it was stuck to the magnet on the filter it was steel.
If it was crammed in the flutes of the filter maybe aluminum.
If the sump plate is still off, swipe your finger around the inside to check for other debris.
You might check your local Yamaha dealer for a filter.

Have you ever heard the expression "fell in shit and came out smellin like roses"?
That would cover your first ever, never done it before motorsickle purchase.
You could stop now and sell for around $1000 - 1200.
Or you could study them manuals, garage sale shop a few tools and have more fun this summer than ever before. Didn't you say father out law? Indicating a missus? Maybe she would like the solitude another love in your life would bring? Or maybe she would enjoy ridng so much she sneaks it out after you've dropped off?

Anyway nice bike, sounds like a 650 XS style.
And welcome to the site.

Haha! Thanks weekendrider...love that post! I keep letting details out regarding my abilities and sometimes I undersell myself. I have been remodeling my homes for about 7 years...so I've actually got some 'busted knuckle' experience. I did go out this weekend to secure the necessary impact drivers, and torque wrench...but anyhow...great advice on the magnet. I'll keep updating as I move forward...still laughing weekend!

Back