What is the average age of this group ?

56 years young. Been riding about 40 years. First bike was a '70 DT-1 250 in '72. Kept it at a neighbors house so my folks wouldn't find out. First street bike was a '71 Mach III. Have had too many to count since then. On a XS about 12 years.

I'm 41, I rode friends dirt bikes in my teens. The XS I'm finishing up will be my first bike of my own. It will certainly NOT be my last! :)

I'm 31. I bought my first bike when I was 13, a 1981 IT125. I didn't ride motorcycle since I'm 16. Now, I'm restoring my XS2, I bought a 2000 V-Star 1000 Classic in december and I'm currently taking motorcycle driving lessons to obtain my driver license so I will be able to ride this summer.

Jeezus, I don't feel so old, now. :) 61 the last day of this month, had a MC license for 46 years. My dad rode the day before he died at 83. I would settle for that. :)

Don't start any senior citizens jokes, though, or I'm outta here.

John

I'm 54 (July 1, 1956) and bought my first bike, a 550 Honda in 1974. I ride most any day the sun shines and like Pyroman, I live in a place with about 300 days of Sunshine per year. I can't even remember exactly how many bikes I've owned but a few stand out like my first Honda, my first Harley bought new in '78, a 500 BSA that threw a rod through the bottom of the engine the first time I rode it (My only one lung thumper) and my first '83 XS650 which bought a few months ago and currently ride. Oh, and this one.

The title of this post reminded me of an old joke. What is the average age of Cadillac drivers.................answer............deceased:)

OK back on topic.............I'm 64 but feel like I'm 34...........especially when I'm out riding my 78SE.

First powered bike was a moped. It was about 1962 and I was about 15. A stranger riding by our home broke down and just left the moped with us. It was a Villiers british bike as I remember, and my father repaired it by replacing the head gasket. My brother and I had a good time riding on it. My first real bike was a used Yamaha 1967 305cc scrambler (Big Bear)........got my bike licence on that bad boy and just had a great time with it.
My first new bike was a Yamaha 1976 XS500C, which I had for 13 years.............it ran perfect and was a blast to drive.

Attachments

• 1967 305 Scrambler YM2C.jpg
    1967 305 Scrambler YM2C.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 162
  • XS500C mod 4.JPG
    XS500C mod 4.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 177
I'm 60 years old and as someone else stated earlier in this thread, "I don't feel it!" Well, sometimes, maybe, rarely...whatever!
It looks like we have a fairly good cross section of ages represented here....but I have to say I am surprised at how weighted the figures are toward the older members. Wonder what that means??? It could mean that this is the very reason why this site has lasted and grown so rapidly........you know, wisdom of experience, years of accumulated knowledge, etc. Or it could just mean that the XS is, dare I say it, a bike that old farts love and appreciate!!! LOL!!:laugh:

56 started on minibikes in 1968. Dad wouldn't let me buy a car but a bike was OK????
He might of been hoping...........

I'm 60 years old and as someone else stated earlier in this thread, "I don't feel it!" Well, sometimes, maybe, rarely...whatever!
It looks like we have a fairly good cross section of ages represented here....but I have to say I am surprised at how weighted the figures are toward the older members. Wonder what that means??? It could mean that this is the very reason why this site has lasted and grown so rapidly........you know, wisdom of experience, years of accumulated knowledge, etc. Or it could just mean that the XS is, dare I say it, a bike that old farts love and appreciate!!! LOL!!:laugh:

The only time I feel my age is when I'm NOT riding motorcycles.

And you make some great points to which I can only add: While young men have always loved motorcycles, it is a hobby that few young men can truly afford or fully appreciate.

I know younger motorcyclists might take issue with my opinion but as they grow old they'll come to understand. And I'll try to always remember that I was once young...

56 started on minibikes in 1968. Dad wouldn't let me buy a car but a bike was OK????
He might of been hoping...........

My dad was the opposite. He bought me a shitty old car to wrench on when I was 14. A 1970 Monte Carlo. I drove that car until I was 19 years old. I learned a lot on that old car. Kept me outa trouble, and turned me into what I am now. I guess. :shrug:

RG I also had a BIg Bear Scrambler, a 250cc and a 1975 XS500 new. My 500 had a defective head which Yamaha promptly replaced without a charge.

Just thinking for the over 50 crowd....... are these xs's and tx's the equivalent of the white shoes and matching belt seen on the oscar foxtrots back in our younger years? If so it's a great improvement.

Back