What is this burnt Wire (Pics)

Alien_Bug

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Melted. Goes to ground under coil. Just got bike last night.

..Should have pics attached.. don't see them..

Attachments

• 20130416151256.jpg
    20130416151256.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 274
  • 20130416151406.jpg
    20130416151406.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 20130416152328.jpg
    20130416152328.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 228
Kinda hard to tell, in the pic where it is a separate wire it looks like some sort of non stock wire. Then it looks like it was in the wrap with the other harness wires.

I guess the main point is you will be using a different wiring harness.

Could be anything. An earth the previous owner added etc.

Trace it along and see where it goes. If its on the coil mount it has to be earth. If its positive and on the coil mount that would explain why it's burton (melted from short circuit)

Trace it, you won't ever find out otherwise.
Is there an earth on the coil mount already PLUS that burnt wire or no other earth?

Posted via Mobile

There are two grounds on there. One is ok , one is burnt. I guess I'll be unwrapping the harness, but I thought maybe somebody might know. I only found one fuse, an inline to the starter relay. Are there other fuses?

Diagram doesn't show any ground wires.....

Yeah my guess is it was added. One of the earth wires could be from the horn or condensor. The coil mount is a nice little earth spot so easy to access and use.

Mine had one there.

I still think the only option is to open up the loom and trace it back. From '73 who knows what has been added/removed/chopped.

When I opened mine up there were open ended wires, joins, mess everywhere.
It gave me a chance to both check all the wires and fix and/replace any/solder any that needed it.
You dont have to be an auto elec to do this, just open it up, look at all of the wires and fix/tidy any... trace that burnt one and let us know where it goes.
When done, just re-wrap it all again neatly.

On the other hand my about 100% factory 73 has two grounds there. :shrug:

bikes 006.jpg

bikes 010.jpg

Looks like one goes into the loom the other connects under a top engine mount bolt.

It may have shorted to a live wire inside the loom like an alternator lead, other hots should have blown the fuse first. But you never know.
On at least some years, the factory made some wire "Y" splices inside the loom near the frame backbone. They used copper crimp connectors.

Yeh that's it Gary! Same as your '73 only one is burnt. I was bummed out when I saw, but now I can't wait utill tomorrow to unravel that mystery. I think I had too much new bike energy going on and wanted to fix it right then!

Thanks!

UPDATED: See pics please. That black ground wire from the coil goes back to some kind of common ground block for a bunch of other wires. What would make it fry its whole length like that? I'm tense about just replacing it until I figure out why. What are those wires in that block?

Attachments

• 20130417124416.jpg
    20130417124416.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 20130417124431.jpg
    20130417124431.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 20130417124438.jpg
    20130417124438.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 200
Just a comment on the post #7 schematic that gggGary put up:
1 - The black ground lines don't show earth attach points (already noted)
2 - The ground is going to the wrong pin on the taillight/brakelight

In the picture above, the fried wire comes from the rectifier ground.
Why isn't the corresponding ground from the rectifier not fried?
I think somebody's been in there already, installed new rectifier, maybe other shenadigisms ?

Hahaha, Gary, your signature is me exactly every time I post.

Wish I knew more and could help, I ripped out my stock wiring right from the start.

Good thinking gggGary,
If that heavy ground wire has a bad connection, then all current will ground-loop thru the smaller guage ground wires, cooking them, possibly leading to insulation failure in the harness, eventually allowing two wires to contact, and finish the cook job.

:wink2: :thumbsup:

I'm also thinking the rectifier is bolted to the battery box which is isolated from the frame. That's why I was wondering if maybe the battery had been grounded there instead of the frame.
73 doesn't have a fuse box just one inline fuse holder. It should be by the starter solenoid.

Well,
Should I just run a fatter ground wire to replace that one? I'm not going to run it all the way to the mount below the coils. Maybe somewhere closer like the frame where I can see it. I'll check all the existing grounds too. If anyone can explain how a rectifier can overwhelm the ground like that but every other wire is good. I'm really interested.

Thanks.

The rectifier won't overwhelm, but it's puny ground line (thru the battery box as gggGary said) will cook if it's the only ground back to the battery. Check the heavy frame-tied ground, check if it has good continuity to the frame (probe the free end of that line and some bare section of the frame).

Back