Whats the value of my xs

flimmy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well I bought this 75-76 ( according to the vin) as a project from a friend. He started it and didnt have the time to finish it. Well he lost the title and sent for a new one but its been a PITA to get to transfer it to my name. So I'm giving up on it and 'm just going to sell it as is with no title. I haven't done anything to it sice I got it.

So what does everyone think its worth. It was a running bike when the project was started. The motor turns over just fine. I have the carbs , wiring , and a box full of other parts for it. The frame was sandblasted and powder coated clear.

Attachments

• 20170507_131800.jpg
    20170507_131800.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 20170507_131820.jpg
    20170507_131820.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 167
  • 20170507_143542.jpg
    20170507_143542.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 161
Looks like you have some good parts but No Title is a deal breaker for most project buyers. Where is Mt. Pleasant?

Vermont does not have titles on older bikes. You can get a registration certificate and a plate [tag] from them. Then you take the registration slip to your DMV and get a new registration and title. It takes a small amount of paperwork but very doable .
tim

What else needs to be done to it? How much did you pay for it? Or how long did it take you to steal it?;):laugh:o_O

The motor was never taken apart and turns over and the compression is good. I would take the whole bike back apart and go over it. I know the carbs need rebuilt and it needs wired and a new tube put in the front. The tires are good . I'm looking to get $800 for it

"I'm looking to get $800 for it"

There we go! Nothing against you flimmy;
A standard ggg negotiating ploy; if the seller won't name a price, I'll widely bracket it . Jees I don't know, $50 would be an insult and completely fixed up, titled in my name, ready to ride it could be worth $4,000, The "I need at least XXX" price almost always come out.

I didnt originaly want to post this as a for sale since this is not the classified section. I was just looking to see what I could get out of it and see if I could get some of my money back that I have in it.

The motor was never taken apart and turns over and the compression is good. I would take the whole bike back apart and go over it. I know the carbs need rebuilt and it needs wired and a new tube put in the front. The tires are good . I'm looking to get $800 for it
Hi flimmy,
$600 thru $800 "as is, where is" seems about right because that's what it'd fetch if it was parted out.
OTOH, in running order and street legal it'd most likely sell for $1,000 thru $1200.
Whether the extra money is worth the extra hassle is entirely up to you, but making it a legal runner
will give you another bike to ride if it don't sell.

I guess it all comes down to what part of the country your in. A parts bike can always be bought between $100-300 here in the midwest. Nobody ever seems to look at the Big Picture! If you paid yourself $2.00 per hr to chase a title you`d loose your ass. Parts is parts. Any project without the paperwork is just Parts. This bike pictured is described and priced accordingly. It`s not mine but these come up every week around here.
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1975-yamaha-xs-650-cafe-price/6437420551.html

Hi flimmy,
$600 thru $800 "as is, where is" seems about right because that's what it'd fetch if it was parted out.
And there's the rub! Theres 40 hours of F'n around and greasy work between sitting on the trailer and parts money in hand. Dead beat "buyers", endless pics, emails, texts, checks, paypal fees, trips to the post office, Shipping prices! packaging and the usual pile O leftover crap that won't sell, getting harder to get rid of the scrap any more.

I must have missed that hayday, lol. Without a title, all you've got there is a parts bike. Jap parts bikes in my area are $100 more or less. Yes, you have the hardtail, but they can be had for a few hundred new so that would only add a few hundred to the price. You might get 500 but I doubt you'll see 8.

I`ll admit I`m not a real big fan of bobbers (hard tail) but if I were I`d just give the guy in Vegas his $1500 and smile all the way home with it. There`s no good reason that bike didn`t sell the first hour. If I lived anywhere close I`d have bought it just to say I did knowing I could get my money back as well as ride for free. The parts list on that one has to be over 3K alone.

Back