Whats your weather right now?

Well, my good buddy Lakeview and I set out early this fine morning in search of XS650 parts.
We were travelling in Big Blue (an ‘08 Chev Express mobile parts warehouse and bike hauler) and it was a beau tiful spring day in the extreme south of Canada.

View attachment 138064 View attachment 138065View attachment 138066

BLOODY HELL - enough with the damned winter already!

Pete
That shot of the highway to Ridgetown reminded me of a trip to Quebec City. It was 10 pm and we were on 25 nord? We came out of the Adirondacks onto a highway that looked just like that. We were in heavy snow squalls in my '67 Beatle. They were great in snow, rear engine, high skinny tires and not too much horse power, but not enough heat to stop the windows from frosting on the inside. There was 2 " of fresh powder on the highway and I remember going 48 mph. Any more and I would start to hydroplane on the snow. Well, this big old white '65 Cadillac comes up in the fast land and tries to pass me. He lost it right next to me spinning two 360's. (In snow boarding that's a 720) Headlights, tail lights, headlights, tail lights, then a big plume of snow as he safely slid into the median. Later, the sky cleared and we saw the aurora.

Sigh

Attachments

• 15542120830781525424386.jpg
    15542120830781525424386.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 135

Attachments

• Anthony's Nose 030.jpg
    Anthony's Nose 030.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 166
60 degrees with 50 mph gusts as a nor'easter rolls up the coast well offshore. Took a hike up Anthony's Nose.
Followed Revolutionary War cannon trails over glacial chutes, where Rip Van Winkle slept for forty years. From 600 ft up, looking down on the Bear Mountain Bridge over the Hudson three miles south of West Point Military Academy, and Iona Island where early experiments were done on farm animals. There were Black Eagles wielding over the Hudson and there's an eyrie on the cliffs. An eagle's eyrie is sort of like a hornet's nest. A large family of Black Eagles congregate in one area. Several will fly out of the nesting area and fly overhead as a sort of guard duty, then others come out and the first group return to the nests. I was in Weldon, North Carolina, right next to Virginia at Roanoke Falls, last year at this time and they claim it's the Striped Bass capital of the world as a large body of Stripers spawn there every year. Black Eagles were in the trees watching the fishermen and flying over, here. This is the time when the Striped Bass and Shad spawn in the Hudson, also, so it must be a similar active feeding time for the Black Eagles. The woods were warm and there were little brown Mealie moths everywhere. I was concerned about the Rattle Snakes in all the ledge rock, but didn't see any. Sunday, I did see Garter snakes on a bike path about 25 miles from here.

Attachments

• Anthony's Nose 018.jpg
    Anthony's Nose 018.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Anthony's Nose 070.jpg
    Anthony's Nose 070.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Anthony's Nose 068.jpg
    Anthony's Nose 068.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Anthony's Nose 063.jpg
    Anthony's Nose 063.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Anthony's Nose 006.jpg
    Anthony's Nose 006.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 2018 FLA TRIP and DYLANS WIFES WEDDING SHWR 2317.jpg
    2018 FLA TRIP and DYLANS WIFES WEDDING SHWR 2317.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 2018 FLA TRIP and DYLANS WIFES WEDDING SHWR 2324.jpg
    2018 FLA TRIP and DYLANS WIFES WEDDING SHWR 2324.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 120
  • 2018 FLA TRIP and DYLANS WIFES WEDDING SHWR 2338.jpg
    2018 FLA TRIP and DYLANS WIFES WEDDING SHWR 2338.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Followed Revolutionary War cannon trails over glacial chutes, where Rip Van Winkle slept for forty years. Looking down on the Bear Mountain Bridge over the Hudson three miles south of West Point Military Academy, and Iona Island where early experiments were done on farm animals. There were Black Eagles wielding over the Hudson and there's an eyrie on the cliffs. An eagle's eyrie is sort of like a hornet's nest. A large family of Black Eagles congregate in one area. Several will fly out of the nesting area and fly overhead as a sort of guard duty, then others come out and the first group return to the nests. I was in Weldon, Virginia by Roanoke Falls, last year at this time and they claim it's the Striped Bass capital of the world as a large body of Stripers spawn there every year. Black Eagles were in the trees watching the fishermen and flying over, here in Virginia. This is the time when the Striped Bass and Shad spawn in the Hudson, so it must be a similar active feeding time for the Black Eagles. The woods were warm and there were little brown Mealie moths everywhere. I was concerned about the Rattle Snakes in all the ledge rock, but didn't see any. Sunday, I did see Garter snakes on a bike path about 25 miles from here.

That is really pretty country, and a cool story, thanks!

Followed Revolutionary War cannon trails over glacial chutes, where Rip Van Winkle slept for forty years. Looking down on the Bear Mountain Bridge over the Hudson three miles south of West Point Military Academy, and Iona Island where early experiments were done on farm animals. There were Black Eagles wielding over the Hudson and there's an eyrie on the cliffs. An eagle's eyrie is sort of like a hornet's nest. A large family of Black Eagles congregate in one area. Several will fly out of the nesting area and fly overhead as a sort of guard duty, then others come out and the first group return to the nests. I was in Weldon, Virginia by Roanoke Falls, last year at this time and they claim it's the Striped Bass capital of the world as a large body of Stripers spawn there every year. Black Eagles were in the trees watching the fishermen and flying over, here in Virginia. This is the time when the Striped Bass and Shad spawn in the Hudson, so it must be a similar active feeding time for the Black Eagles. The woods were warm and there were little brown Mealie moths everywhere. I was concerned about the Rattle Snakes in all the ledge rock, but didn't see any. Sunday, I did see Garter snakes on a bike path about 25 miles from here.

Attachments

• Anthony's Nose 062.jpg
    Anthony's Nose 062.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 109
There was a whole train of just black tankers going by. On the western shore of the Hudson, it's all freight, constantly, trains of 250 to 350 cars and on the eastern side are the commuter "Silver Bullets" ducking into tunnels through the mountain sides.

Attachments

• Anthony's Nose 048.jpg
    Anthony's Nose 048.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Yup - it is danged cold outside.
Beautiful day, 60 degrees WSW 5 mph, gusts to 20. Walked 1/2 mile out into the Hudson on the pier in Piermont ,NY. Fishermen fishing for striped bass. Saw one caught, only 18" (barely legal). The best bait is blood worms from Maine. They are now up to $14.00/dozen. The stripers will be here for two more weeks. Then you will get silver perch, bull head cat fish, eels, and the occasional sturgeon. Shad are in the channel, and were netted under the Tappanzee for many years, until the new bridge construction put the kibash on that fishery. And large carp spawn with quite a commotion in shallow bays and tributaries come May and June.

Attachments

• nyack point park 009.JPG
    nyack point park 009.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Back