Where do ya buy perforated metal?

MrBillohnooo

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I really like the look, and would like to get about 2 sq. ft. Just wondered where ya get it. It has to be fairly common as much of it ya see used lately...

check home depot in the motorcycle section,

they do have an area with raw steel and alumnum. I think I remember seeing some there.
yeah, but that depot stuff isnt cheap. its new. ive seen the perf metal there, and the round perf was too big,imo, and the other perf was all fancy-shmancy for a air conditioner cover, or something.

If you know when bulk trash pick up is in your area take a ride and pick. Lots of items use that stuff and free is good. I am guilty of walking my nieghborhood and grabbing things. When I was a kid that was how I got all my go kart and mini bike motors and wheels. It was a sad day when they came out with the vertical shaft lawnmowers.

call your Uncle that works in a metal fab shop.... you do have an uncle that works in a metal fab shop don't you? Every bike builder needs one

call your Uncle that works in a metal fab shop.... you do have an uncle that works in a metal fab shop don't you? Every bike builder needs one

I work for a local drag car fab shop part time. Most of what we do is with chrome molly tubing, and sheet. Some sheetmetal work, and plumbing and wiring.

I AM the uncle...LOL

I know I have seen it, I just can't recall what it was used on. :doh:

Here in my area there is an outfit called "Metal by the foot". A couple locations. They have just about every type of material or can get most anything. Possibly somebody like that in your area?

I see it used on speaker grills. Hunt down an old set of car speakers. They make lots of stuff for office furnishings out of it now, trash baskets, letter racks, pencil holders. Not sure how much you need or what gage but seek and you will find.

Like I said, I found a scrap piece at a local steel suppliers fab shop for free. nice stailess rolled stuff.
I did learn that when asking for it, there are two basic types....rolled and unrolled. unrolled is kinda like a cheese grater and is rough...little burrs all over. Rolled is the smooth stuff...

Why I wanted it.....

Attachments

• xs side cover 001.jpg
    xs side cover 001.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 102
Back