Where is the source of my gas leak?

I seldom disagree with 5twins, my unindicted co-conspirator in the XS650 Garage Carb Guide; but in my experience there are very few shops around that can do a decent job of rebuilding old carburetors, and they grow fewer by the day. Bret, I hope you were lucky enough to have found some competent folks, but if not, don't despair. Awhile ago I wrote a more comprehensive 26 page carburetor manual for the Yamaha 650 Society. It offers much more background information for the beginner, and includes trouble shooting symptoms and cures. If you need it, enroll on the Yamaha 650 Society Facebook page and send John Chaves a PM. The price is $17, US postage included.

Got my carbs back today. They look a whole lot cleaner than before. The guy at the shop found the source of the leak and it is the fuel T line between the carbs. It's got a bunch of little cracks in it. Anyone ever replace theirs before? I was told I'd have to separate the carbs to do it

There are a couple of ways to fix it.
Search fuel line t with pamcopete as the author for a clean looking low cost fix.
All the fixes require splitting them and none should include jbweld, epoxy or tapping the holes.

Got my carbs back today. They look a whole lot cleaner than before. The guy at the shop found the source of the leak and it is the fuel T line between the carbs. It's got a bunch of little cracks in it. Anyone ever replace theirs before? I was told I'd have to separate the carbs to do it

Hi bret,
good that the shop found your gas leak.
Not so good that you paid $150 and the shop didn't bother to pull them apart!
If you just wanted them clean on the outside you could have done that with a $5 can of carb cleaner without even taking the carbs off the bike.
Here's a page from MikesXS Canadian catalog
http://www.xs650direct.com/products-34.html
The brass replacement Tee & seals you need are at the bottom of the page.
Parts #48-0884 & #48-0885.
Think about getting this packet of screws too, #48-0989 in case yours get damaged.

Last edited:
So I'm thinking about getting the pod air filters that clamp on to the carbs. Wondering though, since the stock air filter box connects on either side(joined by a "T") with the fuel line that starts at the top of the engine, what happens to that?

There is no fuel line connected to the engine. I think you're looking at the crankcase breather.

Bret, with all good will, I advise you either to sell that bike and buy something newer that doesn't require so much attention or to mothball it and do a bit of study before you start wrenching on it. I guarantee that if you pay others to work on an old bike, it will soon give a whole new meaning to the term "money trap."

I'd been driving that bike almost everyday for 5 years up until my license got suspended in January. It's my own fault for not treating it right while knowing it was gonna sit for a long period of time. Now I am paying for that. Once I get this problem fixed it should be ok

I may not know everything about it but for the most part I take really good care of it, changing the oil, new cables, tires, chain and sprockets, etc... So selling it is not an option. It's also got a lot of sentimental value being a gift from my dad

If you are going pods, try the Uni-Filter. A straight foam filter. It doesn't cover any of the ports in the carb bell as some pods do.
The K&N pleated element filters and the copies, The longer and straighter ones work better than the short round or oval tapered ones. They cause too much air flow turbulance that the slide won't lift right. The foam filters may not be as pretty but work much better.
As Grizld1 mentioned that tube from the back of the head down to the tee then into the air boxes is the engine breather. Earlier years the hose didn't run into the air boxes just hung below the bike.
On yours Take the rubber hose from the breather box on the engine, Cut it off a few inches long. Go to most any Auto Parts Store. On the racks you will find several HELP sections. In one of those you will find a Power Brake Booster Check Valve. Part # 80190.
It is a one way valve. Plug the big end into that rubber hose. Point the small end at one of the filters. This way any blow by or oil misting will fall on the filter and get recycled into the engine.
Leo

Back