Where to buy sump oil filters? Mike's is out of stock

The sump oil filters are really just strainers to keep the chunks out of the oil stream and often are cleanable & repairable....if you'd care to give it a go there are some methods in the archives I believe. I use some pieces cut from cans and JB Weld and it's worked well in the past. For what it's worth....it's nice to have a spare assembly pan/plug/sump strainer/gasket cleaned up together and ready to go when the oil change & pan is dropped. Blue

You're better off repairing your original with JB Weld. The new replacements blow out just like the originals. At about $25 a pop, that can get expensive fast.

SumpFilters.jpg

:agree: Thanks 5twins.....That's almost exactly what I do as well and have set up a couple of friends with also. I concur that a repaired, shielded and patched OEM is preferable to anything replacement wise that I've found to purchase. They are also the only ones that come out on the next use cycle unimpaired. Blue

Last edited:
As you can see in my pic, the filter on the lower left is one of those "improved" ones. It blew out by the 1st oil change as well and on top of that, the magnet fell out, lol. I had to JB Weld that back in, too.

I keep reading that if you let the bike warm up properly, that the life span of the filter is increased? I don't believe it, but is it true?

Many people seem to find that the mikexs sump filters are ripping out after very short service life.

I have been using ( the new improved) mikesxs sump filter for the last 4 summers and have had no damage whatsoever. I take it out each fall and clean it in solvent and inspection shows it to be just fine.

I start my bike and warm the engine up at 1200 rpm for about 3 or 4 minutes. I suspect most people do the same.

littlebill31, on start up the oil is cold and thick. If you start the bike, jump on and crank the rpms up, this cold thick oil can't flow thru the sump filter quick enough. The oilpump suction is very strong. If the oil can't pass thru the screen easily this suction can rip the screen from the filter, sending bit of the screen thru the oil pump.
If you let the bike warm up the oil gets warm and thins out a bit. This warm thin oil can pass thru the filter very well. It won't rip the screen.
They all rip in the same place. The screen is flat there. The rest of the screen is corrugated, like a cradboard box, this make the rest very strong and the flat place very weak.
I patch up my sump filters. I cut pieces of soup can to fit over the hole. I use carb cleaner to clean the filter. I then "glue" the patches on over the hole With JB Weld. I then coat the edges of the patch with more JB Weld to unsure a good solid patch.
Some even solder the patch on.
I have also done a spin on oil filter mod on one sump plate. It works ok but filters get expencive when you change them every 1500 miles. I guess I could drain the filter out and reuse it. Replace every third oil change.

I posted this on a different thread but here it is again.

One inch strip of steel (this was cut out of a piece of steel pole barn siding) cut to 1" wide by about 4" long bent to fit, spot welded on with my MIG, ground off the lumps. Spotting with a MIG is nice because it's easy and puts almost no heat on the metal, the welds didn't bother the adhesive for the screen. Still need to work on my spot welding settings a little. Go ahead, what do you think?

I think they are available at the stealer. I had gotten one there about 6 years ago. I am still using it today, no tears in yet, but I still have the original one, repaired with JB .

I just visited Mikes, "added" a sump filter to the cart...but did not get the dreaded...

"Products marked with *** are out of stock or there are not enough in stock to fill your order."

(I didn't buy one, but there are other items I check on regularly to see if they're in stock yet.)

So maybe sump filters are back in stock now?

I just visited Mikes, "added" a sump filter to the cart...but did not get the dreaded...

"Products marked with *** are out of stock or there are not enough in stock to fill your order."

(I didn't buy one, but there are other items I check on regularly to see if they're in stock yet.)

So maybe sump filters are back in stock now?

I ordered about 10-12 2 nights ago for all the engines I have in the shop right now, they had plenty in stock then... Sorry folks :laugh:

Back