Where to find front sprocket shims?

Hardfahrer

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fit a more robust tire to my 83 (might be an 81, I forget) xs650 and as expected, the chain rubs the tire a bit. Does anyone know where to get shims for the front sprocket for these? While i'm at it, does anyone know the size of the rear sprocket bolts? I think they are M10 with a 1.00 thread pitch but I haven't confirmed and I don't know the length. I will have to buy longer bolts after shimming the rear sprocket from what I am reading. I do not want to have to go to the 520 chain. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 1,356
Last edited:
Changing to a 520 chain won't keep it from rubbing on the tire.
On the rear the 520 sprocket mounts flush to the hub the same as the 530 sprocket. So the chain runs the same distance from the tire.
On the front some 520 sprockets have a raised ring on one side of the sprocket. This raised ring lets the 1/4 inch thick sprocket take up as much space on the shaft as the 3/8 inch thick 530 sprocket. This raised ring goes to the nut side when mounted. This properly lines up the front and rear sprockets.
The shaft the front sprocket mounts on isn't really long enough to add shims behind the sprocket. There is only enough room for a 3/8 inch sprocket.
The offset sprocket that 2M refers to is a sprocket that has been cut out so the teeth and center are two pieces. Then the teeth are moved to the side to get the offset, then welded back together. The center still fits the shaft, but the teeth are offset by as much as needed.
Your right on the rear, adding shims and longer bolts. Shims can be cut out of aluminum plate as thick as you need.
You can also get custom sprockets built, I think you could even get them dished so you won't need shims.
I think Gary Po sells these as a bolt on kit. offset front and shims to match for the rear.
Pretty awesome tire. Looks like a Tire on the old trucks and jeeps used in ww1 and such.
Leo

Thanks guys. I will see what Gary Poh has but from what i've seen so far his setup is a bit extreme. I only need an 8th inch or so for good clearance.
Good eye Leo, It's a reproduction Willy's Jeep tire. Tight fit but i'll make it work. Only problem is now I need to make a custom 16" rim for my 2000 Yamaha R1 forks in the front so I could put on another willy's tire to balance out the look. The only place I've found that makes a hub for that set of forks is Cognito Moto. The hub is going to set me back $400. Add in the rim, spokes, rotors, trueing the wheel and the tire and I'm at $1000 just for some looks. Isn't customizing great? It's like therapy, cost as much too.
full

adjust the spokes to move the rim over.

use a big washer weld it to your sprocket then machine a recess so you can still use the nut retainer. Don't move the rear enough to lose contact with the centering ring. you can also machine off some of the inside of 530 sprockets to accept 520 chain which will give you (drum roll please) 1/8" more clearance. non o-ring chains are narrower overall than o-ring chains both 530 and 520.

That is an interesting bike- I dig the chain cross on the gas tank. Never seen a rear tire like that before.

And yes, this hobby has very poor return on investment. Don't know of DIY'ers who's made money from doing this, but whatever $ is lost is returned twofold by the joy of riding.

Angus - 2000 Yamaha R1 front forks, handlebars, wheel etc. Just needed to have the neck stem from the R1 re-machined 1/2" longer and get an all Balls fork conversion kit and it mounted right up. Lol. Not really. Because then I had to weld in a steering stop block and a mount for the steering damper and then cut the frame and rake it out to avoid death wobbles. But other than that, it mounted right up.

Back