Where to start when engine starts acting up?

hotrrd will have to eliminate any possible problems by doing a thorough check there is no loose wire triggering his running problem - the difficulty in finding a fault like that is htat he reports its sudden onset. Wires come loose, and carbs can become blocked, and even th etiming can go out with all that vibration.

We will have to wait from hotrdd for thew latest.

Anlaf

ya...both carbs plugging at the same time would be a bit of a stretch....he didnt mention if he had located it to one cylinder or if the whole thing was running like a pail in general. any news there, Hotrdd? we wanna get this thing running right so you have all next spring to ride, seeing as how neither of our hockey teams will likely be in the playoffs haha!

Have to fly out of town for a week but hopefully I can get a little of time on the bike tomorrow after work. Or at least do some electrical looking around. Unfortunately riding season in Alberta is soon coming to a close.

Went through the bike on Saturday morning for a few hours and didn't find any suspicious electrical. I have good spark and I even run a heavy positive wire up to the coils so that I could rule out a poor or weak wire connection.

I also took a quick video of the timing on the bike this is from 2000 - 4000 RPM
It’s the best I could get while holding the timing light and doing everything at the same time. You can just make out the marks but to me it looks fine. What are your thoughts?

I have 13V even when I run the engine above 3000 rpm. Should I try and push it up a bit?

Went through the bike on Saturday morning for a few hours and didn't find any suspicious electrical. I have good spark and I even run a heavy positive wire up to the coils so that I could rule out a poor or weak wire connection.

I also took a quick video of the timing on the bike this is from 2000 - 4000 RPM
It's the best I could get while holding the timing light and doing everything at the same time. You can just make out the marks but to me it looks fine. What are your thoughts?

I have 13V even when I run the engine above 3000 rpm. Should I try and push it up a bit?

13 volts at 3000 rpm is too low. You should have at least 14 volts.

Yes, 13 volts is charging slightly, but not enough. If you still have the original mechanical voltage regulator, you can try adjusting it .....

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread so I'll remind; the electric has to make it's way BACK to the battery through the ground system. Lots of places on that side of the circuit for problems also. Modded bikes are famous for inadequate and missing ground paths, bolted brackets on bikes that shake are undependable electrical conductors. undersized and non automotive wires are trouble spots also.

Well I pulled off the regulator and the yellow wire on the back had come lose. It was still in contact but not soldered in place, I fixed that and then ran a new large ground wire down from the battery to the engine. Things seems to be running better but still not awesome. I now have 14 volts at 3000 RPM

I plan on ordering in some innovative MTX air fuel gauges and throw them on the bike to get the jetting right. I am also considering adding a crossover pipe on the exhaust.

I also still want to chase the grounds and make sure they are good.

Back