Which model?

Okay guys, lets see if the photo link works:
DSCF3370.jpg

I personally took the inlet stubs off the head, they are too small to fit 38's, the bike came with the engine and carbs still in one piece. The guy who stripped the bike had no other Yamahas never mind XS650's, and all the parts were stashed in a storeroom in his car repair garage, in one area. He had the frame powder coated, along with a few other parts.
Everything else was just as it was when he stripped it, covered in 15 years of dust!

Ok, I can except the fact you believe your PO. A lot of us have found PO's are not always as honest as they could be. Your bike has had several PO's. They might have pieced that bike together out of parts.
From what I hear that happens a lot. People collect old bikes from salvage yards and such, piece then together and ship them overseas. Often by the shipping container full.
Perhaps this is what you have.
If you can get good paper so as to get it on the road it don't really matter how it was assembled.
If you want it to be a 100% plus show winner then search out and procure all the exact correct parts. If you just want a bike to ride then use what you have.
Of course I don't know all the laws you have to go by when getting an old bike road worthy over there, so you may need to gather more correct parts than we on this side of the pond.
In your pics the one of the side stand is how my 75 is mounted.
On the carbs I can't say just what they came off of but as others said, not an XS650.
At this point you can try fixing the BS34 carbs you have so they fit your carb holders or swapping those holders for BS38 holders and running BS38 carbs is your decision.
Leo

I agree, I said earlier that someone could have dropped the bike, then rebuilt it using parts from any model, but the carbs are original, as far as i can tell: why swap them? See the ebay link, another identical set of 34's.
I've got a few sets of 38's so will use them, along with new inlet stubs, I'll open up the head a little as well. Back to the damaged theory, that could explain why the speedo and rev counter aren't 'correct' :thumbsup:
I'm thinking of selling my restored 'D' and keeping this one...I kind of like it now!:D

My XS650D if anyone in the UK wants a fully rebuilt bike: every single upgrade, Hughs PMA, Boyer ignition, K&N air fikters, Heiden tuning Hilift cam and springs, 2" stainless headers , new rings, camchain, tensioners, oil filters, its like a brand new bike!

017-6.jpg

Certainly is.........Those D Speedo/Tac Gauges are off an 80 and later Specials. 79 Standard Has the Black face orange plastic needle Type with 140MPH out side and 180KPH on the inside of the clock without that ugly warning line.

77/78 Standard gauges had green face with white Steel needle. All in the link

How about swapping round the clocks? Are the green ones correct for my 'D', if so I'll look into swapping over the internals from the speedo: I've got a few other clocks in my stash, I'll dig them out and have a look, never realised that even these have so many options!
Thanks for all the input as well!

The 76C Gauges would work on the D but the Stop lamp and Neutral light would be doubled up in the Gauge and Tower. Why not put them on your C
Can you tell me which bike these fit please? :confused:
DSCF3405.jpg

Never seen a tower with the Neutral and Brake tail lights. XS650 78SE/79SF/79SII had the neutral light in the rev counter, head lamp Was where the neutral light is in your pic

This looks to be from an 80-84 gauge set up. Same as your bottom pic

Again never seen a high beam in the XS650 tower

77D/78E rev counter

Never seen an XS650 Speedo without KPH in orange on the inside of the MPH digits. Usually the XS650 Later gauges of this style also only went to 120MPH.
My bad on an earlier statement saying they went to 140MPH on the Specials, they didn't but earlier models up to and including 78Standards did

80-84 Special Tower

XS400, XS250 had similar style gauge tower set up as the Later Special XS650 set up but had differences.

Thanks for all that info, much appreciated! I think the odd tower and the clocks are likely off another bike, I'll try and find out what they should be fitted to.
The green clocks are correct for the 'C' then? I'll leave them on it then, as you point out the warning lamps would be duplicated..I do like the look of them though!
But...I'm thinking of selling the finished 'D' and restoring the 'C' to original, and modding the Custom (as its horrible!) decisions decisions ...

Back