Whiring noise from bottom RH case

Well I suggest you go slowly. There can be lots of places that a mis-assembly can cause metal on metal rubbing. Carefully try to narrow down the issue and hopefully the "simple" reason.

Okay I found the pics but this is the one area where my history is a bit weak . If Dick or Gary could jump in here I think this form of counter weighting was short lived around '74-75 . I've seen these slugs near fall out and rub against the cases .

notice in the pics how the slugs have loosened and turned

~kop

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I spun the starter to look for wobble and there is a very slight one. Nothing like Gary's but either way I'm looking at a tear down. Sure f@€) it it's winter. Although I'm sure I could do the work myself I don't have a place to do it and my wife is not keen on me disassembling a motor on the kitchen table. I was hoping to have the bike a bit longer before doing a job like this. A friend of mine has a full garage with tools and a metal shop next door so I think my 72 will bed down there until spring. I have looked at the right side and have not seen anything out of the ordinary so far. The kickstart is good and the clutch has at least 1 mm behind it clearance. I will check out the left side behind the sprocket to have a look today
Many thanks fellas you are all top gents I will post proper pics as this develops

Been a long while Since I last updated any post. Some good news is that it isn't the bottom end. after getting the clutch off eventually I decided to look at the bendix as a possible cause. Took the whole thing out and I noticed that the back of the bendx assy looks like it's rubbing itself into the case. Any ideas on cause? I replaced the whole assembly when I got the bike. I thought it would stop the noise but it didn't. Will see if I can post pics.

pictures would be good :thumbsup:
lets get this thing sorted .................he says ......when his own bike has been in the garage a year waiting for a roundtoit :D:laugh:

My opinion is that gear no.4 not always pull back sufficiently to completely clear the driven gear on crank Web, Not sure of a certain fix maybe spring??

Ok so I pulled the starter assembly out and left it out put a new sump filter in because it was trashed and rebuilt the clutch while I was at it. Still have the whirring noise. Someone told me to have another look at the cam chain adjustment again because they felt it was a top end noise. so I took the acorn nut off after warming the engine loosened the lock nut and started to unscrew the 10mm bolt. I was looking for the clack clack of a loose chain and I got no change in noise. Infact I nearly unscrewed the whole thing and still no change. I'm still riding the bike 20 miles a day and she's in great shape since I put new carbs in but the noise is really bugging me. mechanic definatly said it not the crank 'too quiet' a noise to be the crank so I'm back to cam chain

Ps I pulled the rod bolt and spring and they don't show damage or wear infact they look brand new. I also kicked over the engine with the pushrod in as a feeler and I could feel the cam chain rotating. I'm assuming that there should be some 'give' in the chain since there was no tension on it but there was none. It seems very tight infact.

If you look at my video you'll see how it is just the reverse.

You are RIGHT! no, no I mean you are left, oh no wait, I, I, I am SO dyslexic!

Yamaha must have really been serious about selling to the British market, but I guess that must be how the homeland bikes were built also?

gentlemen, been a while but i have some good news and some bad news. the good news is that after eventually stripping the engine i found out that the right ball bearing on the crankshaft was shot and not the roller bearings that cost 100 dollars each. grand so i can find the ball bearing for 18 euros. the other piece of good fortune was that the crank is good and not in need of realignment but i will weld the pins while im there. so to finally lay my thread to rest and hopefully help someone in the future with engine whirring mine was the right ball bearing on the crank. once again gents thanks a million for the help 'go raibh mile maith agut' in irish

oh bad news was that while i was stripping it i found out that one of my clyinder sleeves was cracked so that means new piston rings, sleeve and rebore

The likely luck of the Irish , and a slippery slope I'm tellin ya ...

So it's the R/H Crank bearing , not bad . Then the crack in the cylinder . So why not the big sleeves ? Oh and while you're at it send the cam off to Brett and twist the crank . Then there's the 5th gear ...

~kop

If it ain't broke don't fix it... Thought about doing a rephrase but I had a mechanic look at the crank and he said it's all good. So I'll not be going down that expensive road yet. Heiden tuning do the sleeves but I think they need to be honed after fitting. The cylinder was cracked around the circumference in the middle which is weird

Back