Who has painted a 1970 xs1?

Has anyone ever figured out the '76 French Red colour?

I went to a good shop who did an analysis and they matched it to a Toyota paint colour from the 1980-90 timeframe - but it really isn't all that close IMO.

Pete
In 1976 the two colors offered we "French Blue" and "Brilliant Red" as per the official Yamaha Sales brochure posted on this site. (See attached) I have a French Blue 76 and although the 76 models aren't as coveted as the 70-73 models are, I do love me some 76XS650C. I have often thought about trying to find either a Canadian or Australian import in the Brilliant Red to add to the current pile in my garage or simply getting another French Blue unit and having her resprayed in Brilliant Red but like you haven't spoken to anyone with the secret old Japanese family recipe for that specific color. The other challenge wold be finding the tank and side cover graphics in the Brilliant Red flavor as well. Since the paint color isn't a candy though, I would think it should be easier to match. I'm just sayin...

Attachments

• 14970-1378889167-14c444eb34dd437cb82d5fec8f1a0e36.jpg
    14970-1378889167-14c444eb34dd437cb82d5fec8f1a0e36.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
People have posted pics of the Red 76C US model with the red rear indicators, so there must have been some sold in the States. Brilliant red is the same color as the 72 XS2 US paint scheme,

Here is a paint code for the French Blue 76C. A friend done this on his bike a few years ago. I haven't seen the bike side by side against an original French Blue but the guy is a bit of a fanatic.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the paint code if you don't like to read stories of XS650 bike builds
XS650 Club of Australia

You speak of all these colors and 1/4" aluminum stock, and mod and polish and primary covers and this 2,532nd bike conjuring grandiose images in our feeble 640 byte twitter brains but offer us no visual stimulus whatsoever.
PICTURES MAN!
We are but simple creatures here in the virtual dominion and we need PICTURES MAN!

Ok Old Guy ! Here are a couple of pics. I had just not yet figured out the attachments yet. Looks simple enough so here goes. I suppose that once I have multiple media Galleries I will get a drop-down for different selections down the road with future posts. Seems to work well so far. I will try to remember to include pictures going forward. Now back to tank cleaning :)

Hey Scoot, click/tap on "upload an image or file" then search for it in your filing system.....let it upload then add as a thumbnail or full image...

Then you will see the light......

IMG_0375.JPG

Yeah I did that but dont see them here in my response to Old Guy. OK i will try again. Thanks Mick

Attachments

• Repair1.jpg
    Repair1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Repair2.jpg
    Repair2.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 154
  • installed.jpg
    installed.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 146
Back