Who has painted a 1970 xs1?

Zeus87

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hello, I am getting ready to paint my 70' XS1 the original candy green. I see there are some members that have already gone through the color matching process. Anyone car to sharewhat paint they used and what color? Thanks in advance!

Hi Zeus, getting original color codes, well useable ones, has proven to be almost an impossibility unfortunately! The best bet is to find a bit with good original paint & take it to a good paint shop with a spectrometer. That will get a very close colour match.
Please pass on any results you get! :cheers:

I have tried. My sidecover paint is mint orig, nothing has come up even close to it, Maybe there is a gold basecoat?

Guys it is a pretty easy match. It uses a silver base. Yamaha painted the whole tank white, masked and then shot the base. Since it is a candy I would suggest shooting a panel for color. Keep track of the number of coats of green to get the shade you want and then duplicate the process on your parts. It will not be cheap, but House of Kolor is the only way to go. I will be painting my XS1 in the next couple of weeks, but I am going a different shade of green. I don't like that original color. When the bike is done it will still look good. Wish me luck!

mark isn't interested in sharing colors. He will paint your 6 parts for a small $1300 fee...no thanks!

Guys, this is not a "color" as in single coat. It is a candy. You can't buy a quart and be done. I just matched the 71 gold on the headlight stays for one of my bikes. It takes a lot of time and "tweeking" of the mix to get it right. Multiple colors to get the color. I think $1300 is a bit much, but I can see the job being worth $600/700. I will duplicate the XS1 green and post some pictures in a few weeks. As soon as I get caught up on a couple of bikes.

yeah I hear you. One autobody shop scanned it for me, nothing even close. Any suggestions?

Yea marks650yamahas, thats who does my paint.
He's doing me the 8 piece xs1 candy green package right now.
This is his xs1b candy orange.
Picture057.jpg

Funny you should ask. I bought a pair of NOS lamp ears for my 1970 XS1 which I'm restoring( they were fairly expensive) beautiful stock Candy Green I took them to a local auto paint supplier last week for matching. He kept the one ear and called me today. He couldn't find a match with there stock brand paint . He's sending out for color swatches from a different supplier. He said the whole store is very interested in finding a match. I told him to take whatever time he needs. I gave him the Yamaha paint history. I will find a match !!!!! When I do I will share it with you all. It will take some time , but I won't settle for anything but a perfect match. I attached picture of other lamp ear. The color of the photo doesn't look as good the naked eye. Ear is not perfect, but I bought it just the same.
Regards,272984[/ATTACH]"]http://
addfbf61.jpg

CPKID

Attachments

• addfbf61.jpg
    addfbf61.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 5
Recently I met a guy who was doing up a 79? to look like a green one. I saw it at a local show later and it has been for sale on CL here. I might be able to find out how he did it or had it done if anyone is interested. Looks a lot better and greener in person. My photography skills are not the best.
IMG_0074.jpg

Throwing this out there. Found this paint. Looks close, but be patient.
Regards,
CPKID

0c106e8a.jpg

Funny you should ask. I bought a pair of NOS lamp ears for my 1970 XS1 which I'm restoring( they were fairly expensive) beautiful stock Candy Green I took them to a local auto paint supplier last week for matching. He kept the one ear and called me today. He couldn't find a match with there stock brand paint . He's sending out for color swatches from a different supplier. He said the whole store is very interested in finding a match. I told him to take whatever time he needs. I gave him the Yamaha paint history. I will find a match !!!!! When I do I will share it with you all. It will take some time , but I won't settle for anything but a perfect match. I attached picture of other lamp ear. The color of the photo doesn't look as good the naked eye. Ear is not perfect, but I bought it just the same.
Regards,272988[/ATTACH]"]http://
addfbf61.jpg

CPKID

HOLD ON A SECOND----------
There is a paint analyzer device that you place on a painted surface then after a minute or so, a paint code displays on the display screen.
My uncle who has been a paint and body man for over 40 years just told me about that last week when he was out here on vacation from PA.
I told him about how the yamaha paint codes werent published, and my painter was able to match the paint colors very close to the oem colors.
He laughed,
I havent looked up the details on this paint color code analyzer device yet, but it does exist. See what info you can find, ill check in to it also. :doh:

Attachments

• addfbf61.jpg
    addfbf61.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 5
The cameras don't work all that great. They are hit or miss. Usually they will get you close but not exact. And since it's a candy it will be a miss by a mile.

found this,
You can also take it to a local company that matches automotive paint colors to paint codes, they should have a paint analyzer that spits out the paint code. They will shoot with the analyzer three times or so until they get a consistent code.

http://raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=1413

Find a shop that uses a color analyzer to match paint. It is much more accurate than a paint code alone, and they can adjust for any fade or other variations you may have in your color.
7th comment on page
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...r-how-achieve-perfect-oem-paint-finish-36612/

a color spectrum analyizer, views a painted surface thru a lens then analyizes it and produces a paint code.
supposedly accurate but that would depend on how original the paint is your analyizing.

Guys, it's a Candy color. There is no one step match. It has a silver base coat with a candy green color coat and then clear coated. It is up to the guy pulling the triger to get the shade correct. If you take it to someone who is good with candies, he will be able to match it. It won't be cheap regardless. It is not mystery paint. It is a Candy. A totally different rule book. I use House of Kolor with terrific results.

The paint code an analyzer gives you would still be closer than "We dont know".
We'll send it out to be compared to more swatches.

The secret to getting the XS1 Paint very close to match is, multiple spray layers.
With each layer, it gets a touch darker.
With the right green paint mixture, its not going to match colors on the 1st layer, maybe the 3rd or 4th pass over with your sprayer.
Its up to you to know when the shade is right.
How does that sound ?

Back