Wiring from scratch, judge my diagram!

Here's a few notes on my bike to start with:
-1979 xs650
-stock stator/alternator/reg-rec

I went off of this guy, as it had the same reg/rec-stator/alternator wires as my current (what I believe is stock) setup

From your pics, looks like a later alternator was fitted to your `79, which originally used a grounded rotor powered by a mechanical regulator. You should now have a powered rotor grounded by a semiconductor regulator, as on `80 -`83.

So the section of your last diagram using the one-piece rec/reg is okay.

Although I don't see the grounding-bridge type inner brush holder, you would want to ensure that BOTH brushes are not connected to ground. This could happen if someone used or retained the older brush holder block, where the brush clip screws could screw into the grounded alternator housing.

Last edited:
I done plenty and the only thing I would change is the lighting. If you are using a three position switch OFF- ON = ON with LIGHTS ok but if not you may have some problem with the cheap switches. I would buy a good three position switch and then you can run a HIGH BEAM LOW BEAM switch. Some states require it for inspection. Everyone will tell you light are the big problem on these vibrating bikes.
ANY help just ask

Thanks guys.

Yeah I'm starting to realize the PO may have sort of pieced things together from misc years parts... as I noticed my carbs are also the later years as well. Perhaps he just assumed it was a 79 engine out of ignorance.

Thanks for the info!

Also my headlight is more of just a spotlight, so it is a single filament, thus the on-off only.

Hey guys

Ended up picking up a PMA from Hughs (thanks hugh!) and decided to simply a few things.

Let me know if there are any obvious flaws or even just any recommendations you might make!

xs650-PMA-PAMCO-basic-diagram.jpg

Also the PAMCO has tiny gauge wire and I was wondering what your suggestions were for the connections at the coil wires... The PO had just done some sketchy soldering and the connections look sorta flimbsy so if possible I'd like a nice cleaner solution, without soldering if possible.

*The majority of my wire is 16 gauge.

That's a good point , I don't believe there is, I modified a chopper diagram and they had it on there... Perhaps it is grounded through the mounting somehow and that is the implication of that wire.

All the 3-phase PMA type stators I worked on were, of course, mounted to a grounded case, but the stator windings were all floating with no connections to ground. Not really important in your diagram, just needlessly fussing...

On hooking the light Pamco wires to heavier harness wires I bare about 1/2 inch on the wires, a coat of dielectric grease on the bare wires, Slide a 3/4 inch long piece of heat shrink on one wire An 1/ 1/4 inch heart shrink on the other. Twist together. Slide the shorter piece of heat shrink over the joint. Heat shrink. Slide the longer piece over the first, heat shrink.
This twisted joint with two layers of heat shrink holds very well and is vibration resistant.
Leo

This is my first post on this site so please be gentle. A little background: I've been a diesel tech for freightliner for 3 years and previously I worked for navistar. I just bought a 75 xs650 (basket case), it's been hard tailed by mustang? Customs somewhere in indiana? It lacks a bit of welding and grinding, but I digress. I am ditching the stock charging/ign system for pma/pamco setup. Wiring knowledge or skill is not the issue here, but I would like to run a centralized power distribution box (pdb) to power the most simplistic of accessories (ign, headlight, and tail light). Judging by what I have read, I will need no more than 5 fuse locations in my prospective pdb. My long dissertation boils down to this: where can I find a compact, 5 fuse pdb (or fuse block) to run directly off the battery through a main fuse? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first post on this site so please be gentle. A little background: I've been a diesel tech for freightliner for 3 years and previously I worked for navistar. I just bought a 75 xs650 (basket case), it's been hard tailed by mustang? Customs somewhere in indiana? It lacks a bit of welding and grinding, but I digress. I am ditching the stock charging/ign system for pma/pamco setup. Wiring knowledge or skill is not the issue here, but I would like to run a centralized power distribution box (pdb) to power the most simplistic of accessories (ign, headlight, and tail light). Judging by what I have read, I will need no more than 5 fuse locations in my prospective pdb. My long dissertation boils down to this: where can I find a compact, 5 fuse pdb (or fuse block) to run directly off the battery through a main fuse? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Post #53 on my thread shows what I used:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29300&page=3

I used a 6 gang fuse block powered by a fused main wire from the battery. Switched the whole mess via a relay allowing a microswitch on the bars for a main on/off.

Aweeeee mannnnn! That's exactly what I'm huntin!! Thanks bud. Where did you pick that bad boy up and how much? My idea is to centralize all of the fuses and wiring ends in one place. Judging by your user name, who do you work for? I'm always interested in different brands (how they differ, what sucks about them, what you like compared to other manufacturers, etc.) thanks for the prompt response btw

I just picked that up at Advance Auto Parts I think. It's a Buss 6 gang block. I think it's a 30 amp relay. That bike only has a headlight, led taillight, and ignition so the amp draws were low. I never had a problem with a 20 amp main fuse. Of course I sized all my wire to exceed my fuse ratings.

I'm an owner/operator trucker. I do all my own mechanics, which I learned from my grampa. Cut my teeth on E9-500 v8 Macks then moved on to Cats when I started running my own.. I'm nothing special, just a hobby mechanic.

Thanks for the info bud. Now I have some where to start my wiring. What size wire did you use? I was thinking 12ga would work for everything past the fuse box.

Maybe I'll have to shoot you a pm the next time I have a question about why drivers do some of the things they do haha

Back