Wiring Questions

sarvedb

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1982 xs650.

Let me start by saying I don't really know what I am doing and am only basing this work on what mainly INXS has posted (I read it was a composite of many others work...Pamcopete, Jayal, retiredgentleman), so if any of this does not add up please let me know. I apologize for the length of this post. And I really appreciate everyone's effort on this site because without it I would definitely not have a clue as to what I was doing.

I have used the version INXS posted on 10-14-2009, 06:37 AM (tech section wiring diagrams), but I slightly modified it to remove the starter motor, headlight off/on and high-low select switches, front brake switch, and power outlet (I did not know what the power outlet was for). Please see attached diagram.

I assume that INXS version will work and just wanted to ask some questions since some of my wires don't match and I am trying to finish this up so I can get to riding.

Problem #1:
The wires leaving my pick up coil are orange, grey, and black. According to the INXS diagram the wires leaving should be Green-white, Red-white, and black-white. So I don't know how to add these to the ignition unit. Is the black wire the ground for the pickup coil and rotor/stator (I don't have a ground coming from the rotor/stator)?

The wires leaving my ignition unit are white-red, white-black, white-green, black-white, black, red, orange. I would guess that according to the INXS diagram that the pick up coil should be connecting to the white-red, white-black, white-green wires. The red and orange from the ignition unit goes to the ignition coil, and the black goes to ground. I don't know what to do with the black-white leaving the ignition unit.

Problem #2:
The wires leaving my rotor/stator are white, white, white, yellow, and light blue. I know to connect the 3 whites from the rotor/stator to the 3 whites of the rectifier/regulator. I see from INXS diagram that the yellow should be capped. But I don't know what to do with the light blue... cap it also?

Problem #3
The wires leaving my brush assembly are red and green. I know the green from the brush assembly attaches to the green from the regulator/rectifier. But does the red from the brush assembly attach to the brown of the rectifier/regulator?

Thanks for any help
Dave

modified INXS post diagram
dave modified 82xs650 wiring.jpg

from rotor/stator
from alternator.JPG

from ignition unit
from ignition unit.JPG

from pickup coil
from pickup coil.JPG

from regulator/rectifier
from reg-rect.JPG

#1 on the stock harness the connector the pickups plug into only plugs the right way. This connector on the harness side has the right wire colors. A black/white, a white/red and a white with green. The black is not a ground, its a center tap . The pick up is two windings with both hooked to the black wire and the orange and grey on each end. The rotor/stator are grounded by the regulator through the green brush wire.
I think the wire from the TCI is red/white not red. If I was not using the stock harness, The pickup wires, the black to the black/white wire of the TCI, orange to the white/red, grey to white/green. The other TCI wires, The red/white joins the red/white to the coil and hook with a ten amp fuse to hot after the key. Orange to the coil, the black wire to ground. The black/white went to the side stand relay cap it off.
#2 In the wire bundle from the stator going to the 6 hole plug has 6 wires, 3 white, a green, a brown, not red, and the light blue. Cap the yellow, the light blue is the neutral light, cap or use, The 3 whites to 3 whites on the reg/rec. The green wire to the green. The brown wire from the stator and the brown wire from the reg/rec joined together and hooked to hot after the key with a 10 amp fuse.
I like fuses, can't have too many. Your modified diagram should be fine. If you run a front brake it should have a switch too.

great thanks for the quick help.

when you said "The pickup wires, the black to the black/white wire of the TCI, orange to the white/red, grey to white/green. " Do you really mean the black from the pick up coil goes to the white with black strip from the ignition unit or the black with white strip? And the opposite one is the one used for the side stand relay so I can cap it.

And you said that what I was calling the red coming from my brush assembly is supposed to be brown... and that should connect to the brown on the rect/reg?

If I wanted to use my neutral light can I just connect the light blue wire directly to the bulb?

and yes the red coming from the ignition unit is in fact a red/white line

thanks

The black with a white stripe. The white with a black stripe goes to the side stand relay. I have an 82 wiring harness. I was referencing that as well as the diagrams. Some diagrams show the TCI box having two black white wires. The wiring harness has A black/white and a white/black. The digram shows one black/white to the TCI and one to the sidestand relay. The digrams in the repair manual are often mistaken. I trust the harness. Inxs's diagram has a six wire TCI. The 82 and up used a seven wire TCI. The seventh wire was the side stand relay wire. A White with black stripe.
The regulator needs to sence what the battery voltage is. It does this on the brown wire. The brush needs battery voltage. It gets this on the brown wire. I hook the brown from the regulator and the brush together then hook to a hot after the switch. This way the switch turns on both the rgeulator and brush.
The neutral light wire/blue wire hooks to the neutral bulb. The neutral light bulb gets power from the brown wire.
The brown wire is the main power wire. It feeds power to most evrything thats not lights and ignition.

Back