Won't run

I still think you don't have gas going into the engine. if you have spark and the timing is right on then must be gas....

The brass screw at the bottom most point is just a drain screw wont mess up jet. When did you have the bowls off seems you're in for a carbs cleaning.

I just took the bowls off while the carbs were still on the bike just to see if there was gas in the bowls I didint know I could just pull that screw out is there a way to get the gas flowing into the engine like priming it or something like that?

The '77 petcocks don't need a prime they're not vacuum operated. With bowls on and the drain screw removed gas should flow out in a steady stream. Be sure to use a catch cup or can. I think it may be time for carb removal and cleaning.

Is there a way to clean without throwing the jets all out of wack I'm new to this and don't want to cause another problem for it not to run like the jetting to be off

well your right about that i just want to make sure everything goes back together the way it was so maybe a jet got clogged and its not getting fuel. guess thats next on my agenda. but also there are like five jets to throw out of wack too right? maybe is there a more specific jet that could be cleaned causing the problem? ya know narrow it down or might as well just clean everything?

Last edited:
The jets are a piece of brass with a hole drilled through it. You can't mess them up to bad unless you ream them out when cleaning. If they are in very tight you can mangle the screwdriver slot.
There is a very good carb guide around somewhere that was written by Grizld1 and 5twins. It explains how to clean your carbs.
I would put up a link but I'm not to good with that stuff.
The main and pilot jets are in the float bowl. These are removable. The enrichener /choke jet is a press fit in the bowl, it can't be changed.
If you drop the bowls you can clean the jets. If the jets are clogged up then the passages in the carb body the fuel flows through are probably plugged too.
It will save time and aggravation to pull the carbs and do a proper job of cleaning.

I ment mess them up like 1/4 turn out stuff I keep reading that the jets are supposed to be turned out like loosened or something like that but I'm gonna go home and work on them today when I get off work thanx so far to everyone that has helped out this stuff is sticking

The top set of points (right cylinder) should hook to the right coil, bottom set to the left - but that's assuming the advance rod is installed correctly. Did you have the advance rod out by any chance or even just the disc or point cam on either end removed?

Bingo^^^

I think your talking about the air mix screws. The jets screw in snug, no adjustment there. The air mix screws are not hard to set.
Read the carb guide, no sence in rewriting the book, just read it.

Ok cleaned carbs it only took about three hours or so ha oh well I'm learning the pilot jets were clogged but I'm charging my battery getting some fresh gas and hopefully I'll get her started tomorrow.....

Ok so I'm gonna get a inline fuel filter any suggestions? Also I drained the tank got some new chevron highest octane gas I believe it is supreme? Now before I fill the tank I have been reading about running sea foam should I mix it in the can before I fill my tank it's 5 gallons by the way or should I wait till I get the bike running before adding the sea foam or not at all? Also the can says 1 oz per gallon so if I do add it is that the right amount for a motorcycle?

5 gallons of gas....5 oz of sea foam in a measuring cup. dump into gas...if ya want to run it at all. you know what it does if ya have read about it.
:banghead:

no i havent seems the threads i have read all people like it or the techron stuff what are the downsides to it?

Back