xs650 build off 2014!!

So I'm in Arizona which is great weather for building a bike (sorry it is so cold back east). I will be riding from AZ to OH, but I'm building a hardtail chopper. Anyone ever ridden a hardtail long distance? How many miles a day did you do?

So I'm in Arizona which is great weather for building a bike (sorry it is so cold back east). I will be riding from AZ to OH, but I'm building a hardtail chopper. Anyone ever ridden a hardtail long distance? How many miles a day did you do?

Back in the day, when I was younger/lighter/hard-headed, my hardtail x-country legs usually maxed at 500-600 miles per day. Was actually more comfortable on a hardtailed king/queen with packbag to lean back on, compared to x-countries on my stocker. The exception was those damn expansion strips in central Illinois!

I am curious about the 277 rephrase.
I am probably going to ask a couple of stupid questions here, so I apologize ahead of time.
1. Why change how it is set up from factory?
2. What other things have to be changed in order to rephrase?

Ok I actually did some research. I found info on the 277 rephasing. Am I correct to believe that it turns the 650 from a dual fire ignition into a single fire ignition?

I can't agree more, the standard xs650 has serious vibrations. Getting the motor to single fire ignition also creates fuel efficiency and seriously reduces the vibrations.
Costly though!

Expansion strips in Illinois?! Man, I almost lost my wife off the back this last summer! Here we are relaxing and cruising down the road enjoying the day then; we hit one of those bastards and she shot up off the back seat going 70mph and damn, almost took us down.

@Gracer Followed the updates in your photo album for the tracker you built, (see gracer's avatar), very impressive work and workmanshhip. No doubt your hardtail will be A1+ also.

January update. Nothing on my roller has changed. I have decided that I'm just too Damn busy to build two bikes. So I'm going to just be doing one going forward. This worked out well for Derek lol. Anyways, I just picked up this 23" front. Super stoked with it! Chrome 23, stainless Buchanan spokes, laced to a 5/8ths mini drum with a new tire on it as well. I'll be running the front brake and going jockey shift now!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388927112993.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388927112993.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 125
@Gracer Followed the updates in your photo album for the tracker you built, (see gracer's avatar), very impressive work and workmanshhip. No doubt your hardtail will be A1+ also.
I went a bit overboard on the tracker, but thanks. The hardtail will be a low budget build $600-$800.

Yeah. It was probably the same guy. I thought about it for a few days, then the day i decided on it, saw that it was sold. Damn you! lol
(oh well, i'll feel safer having a disk in front since i'm running drum in back)

Yeah. It was probably the same guy. I thought about it for a few days, then the day i decided on it, saw that it was sold. Damn you! lol
(oh well, i'll feel safer having a disk in front since i'm running drum in back)

Hahaha "safe" that's cute lmao! This will be the first chopper I've built with a front brake lol (and it makes me feel gross). The only reason I'm keeping it is to make running jockey not so much of a pain in the ass. Drums on the rear is the way to go. Alot less clutter!

Yeah. Safe is one of those cute girly words.

My first xs was drum only rear when I built it... my triumph is drum rear and mini drum front, figure this one will be mostly city/town driving though and after having my first xs lose it's rear braking power (riding with no brakes, that's true hardcore) I figure I'll feel better with a "spare" brake

If it makes you feel gross, I'll take it off your hands ;)

some progress...hopefully get the motor back together this week..

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 108
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 127
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 116
The lower link, lower block, bolt and pins were missing so I had to fabricate them along with most of the frame. I can't wait to see how she rides! But I'm getting ahead of myself aren't I.

Made some progress on replacing some gaskets yesterday. Got the pistons in and the motor back to looking like something. a extra set of hands are super handy with this...don't know where id be along with this without my buddy always helping. steak tacos and highlife make for a great weekend wage

Attachments

• pistons in.JPG
    pistons in.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 120
  • motor with gaskets.JPG
    motor with gaskets.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Kenny with motor.JPG
    Kenny with motor.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 145
oh, also note the string on the cam chain...pretty sure I cracked this case in a weekend more than the original owner ever did, only dropped it in once but that sure messed up a evening. make sure to not drop that back in or you will swear a lot, toss a beer, and possibly call it a night early... Also Irish, check your messenger, for some reason pay pal says that your sending my money back?

how old are you? I'm 50 with a bad back and can do about 300 miles a day on my hard tail

Back