XS650 Mystery Configuration

cmj650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm digging into wiring on the bike now and have found strange things. The bike is a 1979 special. The code is 2FO on the frame an engine. The engine has a TCI ignition system. The closest matching wiring diagram is from a 1981 model. The tail light had dual bulbs which only comes up on the later diagrams. I was trying to find the "light checker" unit, but the harness does not seem to have a plug for it. Also the 1981 diagram has a headlight relay, my harness does not have that. Lastly the bike has BS34 carbs which were 1980 and up.

So after all that my question is this. Are the wiring diagrams posted here complete and 100% accurate? Do I have a hacked together electrical system or just a configuration that is missing a diagram?

Last edited:
TCI ignition, BS34 Carbs, dual taillight bulbs and 2F0 ****** points to an 80SG.........Production date is from Sep 79 - Aug 80.

Looked at your earlier thread and the bike has Plastic airboxes, mag wheels with disk brake on rear ............definatly an 80SG

Yes, and your BS34 carbs have brass floats and drain bolts on the bowls. That was a 1980 thing only. All the later BS34 carbs had plastic floats and a drain screw on the lower left side of the bowl.

You will need to find a specific '80 SG wiring diagram as it is unique. That light checker was eliminated on your model but still installed on the '80 Special II (G model). None of the later models had it. The only relay pertaining to the headlight is the auto-on "safety" relay and every 650 since '78 had one.

Well, I always called it an 80. The build date is June/79 so that predates what was said above and the vin definitely points to '79 going by the docs on this site. I guess this was an in-between bike.

Yes, June of '79 would be a pretty early build date for the next year's model, but the 1980 was a big change one. Maybe they started building them earlier than usual?

Well, I always called it an 80. The build date is June/79 so that predates what was said above and the vin definitely points to '79 going by the docs on this site. I guess this was an in-between bike.

Don't know why i said Sep to Aug as Model/year.......i should have said Aug to July.......Even in that time frame i have confirmation that some bikes production date can be a month or 2 either side of the Aug - July stated and be a model either early in the run for that year or late in the run for the previous year

2F0 was the vin prefix no on 6 different models over 3 years. 78E, 78SE, 79F, 79SF, 79SII and 80SG............. All i can say is if you are certain your bike is a 79 then be certain.................... The changes from 79 to 80 are quite significant and will be costly when buying parts if the bike is identified wrong................Carbs, Charging and Ignition system especially, and putting the wrong part on could lead to the failure of another part or could stop the bike from running at all and cause untold frustration and costly in buying the wrong parts and the damage caused to other parts .................... Also when asking questions and your are asking about a 79, the answers will be 79 specific and may not be of any use if you bike is an 80........more frustration not only for yourself but for people trying to help.

Some pics would help us a lot.

OK.... to the best of my knowledge, the rectangular reflectors didn't show up till the 80SG. All other things bein' equal, if the frame has the tabs for them, that would make it an 80SG (or newer) frame.

Ok guys, I don't want you to think I'm being stubborn. It is 80 and I don't think
It's 79:) I wish it were, I like wire wheels better than mags. I was just trying to figure out why my registration, and pink slip say 79. Then I went to look at the wiring diagram for the 80 and it was different. I did finally locate the correct diagram, and now I'm in business.

Ok guys, I don't want you to think I'm being stubborn. It is 80 and I don't think
It's 79:) I wish it were, I like wire wheels better than mags. I was just trying to figure out why my registration, and pink slip say 79. Then I went to look at the wiring diagram for the 80 and it was different. I did finally locate the correct diagram, and now I'm in business.

Hi cmj650,
the photos show plastic side covers, an aluminum grabrail, TCI sparks and the mounting lugs for a lift-off seat,​
all of which were first evident on the 1980 model. OK most of that could have been retrofitted to an earlier machine
but not the seat mounts, at least, not without grafting on the entire upper rear frame.
And XS650 wire wheels are an easy bolt-up if you want to swap to a drum brake rear.

I have heard that when some bikes were first titled they got titled not by the model year but the year they where titled. This may be what happened on your bike.
Leo

My VIN sticker has June 1980 for manufacture date but is an 81 SH. There is a sticker on the inside of the side cover that should tell you the model, the legislation it complies with and the petrol grade to use. Check if it is still there.

I have heard that when some bikes were first titled they got titled not by the model year but the year they where titled. This may be what happened on your bike.
Leo
Yeah... mine's an 80SG. It's titled as a 79.

Back