Xs850

codbhy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a wiring diagram for an 1981 XS850 with electronic ignition system?

Also the bike im working on has the number 4T2-000265 written on the engine and frame what model is that?

1684105172195.png

Im currently trying to get spark on it, i've replaced the pickup coils + rotor and the ignitor unit. What else is needed for spark? All 3 plugs have no spark so im thinking its not the ignition coils

If theres anywhere else to post this lmk i havent found any other forums yet

I don't have a lot of experience on the XS850 specifically, but just some basics: are you getting 12VDC on the R/W wire at the coils?

No cranking needed, R/W should be hot all the time with key on. Yes a good battery is required to produce spark

No cranking needed, R/W should be hot all the time with key on. Yes a good battery is required to produce spark
Sounds good, Do these bikes have any safety switches? Kickstand switch, clutch switch, oil pressure switch or brake switches that might cut spark if not working?

That's getting into model specifics and beyond my knowledge. The diagram above, however, shows only a neutral switch that interfaces with the ignition circuit. The oil pressure sw. does not appear to affect the ignition

Scanned pages from Factory manual covering Ignition system.

Attachments

• 850 Ignition 6-12.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 121
  • 850 Ignition 6-13.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 850 Ignition 6-14.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 68
  • 850 Ignition 6-15.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 850 Ignition 6-22.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 73
  • 850 Ignition 6-23.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 46
  • 850 Ignition 6-24.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 56
  • 850 Ignition 6-25.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 75
  • 850 Ignition 6-26.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 57
  • 850 Igniton 6-27.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 52
On the wiring harness it says theres a main 20A switch is that the ignition key? all ive found for fuses are the 4 glass tube fuses

And to test if 12v is going to coil do i put positive lead on r/w wire going into coil and the black lead on the other wire?

Last edited:
Switch ahead of fuse box is key switch. Red probe on R/W and black probe to bare ground, black wire or battery negative

Im currently trying to get spark on it, i've replaced the pickup coils + rotor and the ignitor unit. What else is needed for spark? All 3 plugs have no spark so im thinking its not the ignition coils

If theres anywhere else to post this lmk i havent found any other forums yet

Fuse ?? Kill Switch ?
A shot in the dark .you have no Power or ground if such is needed on the Ignition unit.
If this was me I would consider the Possibility to Jump in and out that physics
But please do the read up so it is possible to do it . I have not looked at the Schematic.

Kill switch is bypassed and all 4 fuses look good, the coils only get 0.08 volts with ignition on though

What happens if pushing starter switch
does starter spin and relay click

1684192339120.png

That same switch controls the red/white wire that powers the starter solenoid and the ignition coils (the start button only grounds the blue/white to the solenoid) are you sure you've got it bypassed properly?

That same switch controls the red/white wire that powers the starter solenoid and the ignition coils (the start button only grounds the blue/white to the solenoid) are you sure you've got it bypassed properly?

Yes to that
Not sure if we are into fault Finding mode here please stop me if not so
I have not looked at the schematic or read the service bulletins
But the start button connects L/W and B B Probably ground please check

Who knows what happens downstream after that has occurred ..If there are other circuits energized

That connector there I would service .Cleaning Grinding and Some contact Grease

I Would Check having 12 V on the upside of the Kill Switch then at the downside and then out of that connector
Having 12 V out on R /W and then Wroommm Wroom Wroom .. Wroommm Wroom Wroom .. Wroommm Wroom Wroom ..
( MAYBE )

1684218520652.png

There will be two wires: most early '80's Yamahas it was R/W in and out - just connect the two. On earlier bikes it was brown in, R/W out - same connection between the two
1684251012139.jpeg

Back