XS650 Permanent Magnet Charging Swap Kits!

Punkskalar

Hugh's HandBuilt
Reaction score
100_5178.jpg

Now going for $27.50 SHIPPED in the US including hardware :thumbsup: I now have over 100 Of These IN STOCK! Paypal payments to HughsHandBuilt@gmail.com

This How-To thread should alleviate any questions you may have concerning the swap. Why to do it, the benefits, etc....

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6604

Stator assembled on my bracket.
100_5192.jpg

100_5193.jpg

Email me at HughsHandBuilt@gmail.com for more information or feel free to PM me.

Here is a wiring diagram for anyone who might need it. Like I said, its the simplest charging system on the Planet for an XS650. - Hugh

PMADiagram.jpg

Last edited:
All of the details are in the thread linked in the first post,

Stators Should be 103mm X 42mm X 20mm in measurement. If buying on ebay, ask them to measure it. I borrowed this list from another source, so please double check your measurements before buying a stator.

Honda CBR600 F1 86-90
Honda VF500 84-85
Kawasaki VN800 Vulcan 00-05
Kawasaki VN800 Classic 01-06
Kawasaki VN800 Drifter 01-05
Kawasaki ZL600 86-87
Kawasaki ZX600, ZX-6 Ninja, ZZR600 85-04 [!!NOT ZX6-R, ZX6-RR 98+!!]
Suzuki VS800 92-07
Suzuki VX800 90-93
Suzuki VZ800 97-04
Suzuki LT250 91-96
Suzuki LT4WD 91-96
Suzuki LT-F4WD 91-98
Yamaha XV250 Route66 88-90
Yamaha XT600 90-95

ANY Year Banshee YFZ350 Flywheel will work

Last edited:
I have a Boyer Brandsen ignition. I was so hoping to keep the rest of the build low $$ but I also need to eliminate the battery box since my Uni's now occupy most of that space.

A little history, I bought the bike as a pile of parts back in 07 good compression & spark when I got home & mocked it up, next was the frame stripped/coated for a street tracker build. I picked up most of the parts needed to complete my project & then moved out of state. Fast forward to now, married w/ 2 small kids & I don't get out much (go figure) My R&R is now spent in the garage with the goal of riding the 650 this spring.

I really like the idea of a more reliable charging system, same school of thought that led me to pick up the BB ignition.

I have the "Boyer Bransden Micro Power Micro Digital Ignition System" in my motor. Just to be clear, this will work with it and no battery? I am not running a starter. Just the engine, headlight and taillight.

Also, can I send you a money order or cash instead of paypal?

Yes, the swap will work with all cam driven ignition systems. You may want to run a small 12V camera battery that alot of guys are doing. It won't operate the starter, but you can still have 15 minutes or so of reserve battery power with the key on. The batteries are super small.

I don't mind Checks Or MO's at all. Email me for an address if you prefer that method.

Hugh Owings

HughsHandBuilt@gmail.com

What reg /rec's will work. I think it was said that the 81xs650 one will work but are there others that will make a good substitute ?

No, the stock XS650 regulators will not work. You will need a 3 Phase Regulator to work with this setup. I have some available NEW from Hugh's HandBuilt, and the price is very fair for a new regulator. Look it up on the Chop Cult http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6576 and you can order the proper regulator right on that link if needed.

Too bad the Banshee rotors are so expencive. I found 3 on Ebay. $100, $105 and $112.

Too bad the Banshee rotors are so expencive. I found 3 on Ebay. $100, $105 and $112.

The rotor is the most expensive part. I've found a guy on Ebay willing to sell them for $80. Message minkia38 on ebay and see what he has to say. I'm also looking into other flywheels that MAY fit with a little machining, but i can get them cheaper and still machine them for less than $100

Back