xs650 rear axle wont fit in axle plates on my hardtail

SLOWandLOW

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't really know what happened but my axel plates are literally a hair to small. Think it's ok to take a dremel to them? New to choppin' so I just want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up:thumbsup:

Slims fab is where it came from. I have a 1972 XS that I'm using as a donor bike. Just pulled the rear wheel off my self so it's definitely a XS rear axel. 25mm is the stock axel size right? I'll post pics when I get home. Don't have to much info on the frame besides that haha

20mm is the stock size. Don't know what the axle gap is on my hardtail. 3/4 washers are covering it up. I'd say your axle is wrong.

I know a lot of shit is different with '72 it sounds like from other threads on here... Could the rear axel dimensions be different for my year?

20mm axle dude. Not 25. That's your prob. Maybe post pics of your wheel. Nothing is as it seems. Don't assume anything on your bike is stock. Mine wasn't.

I bet its set up for h/d wheel :doh: it's a great looking frame :thumbsup: if it don't work out for you I'll take it off your hands:wink2: cheep :wink2: lol ( sorry the pain meds are kicking in lol hahaha):shrug:

Haha I love the frame just don't know much about it. Grabbed it up a couple weeks ago and just now started working on it. Pretty sure your right about the HD axel. Looks like it takes 3/4 rear axel....:banghead:

Was really looking forward to getting a roller put together. Just spent good money on this donor bike.

Last edited:
I don't want to run a Harley rear end what's the best option here? I cant find my caliper so I'll get one in the morning to see what's going on with the rear axel I have now.

I don't want to run a Harley rear end what's the best option here? I cant find my caliper so I'll get one in the morning to see what's going on with the rear axel I have now.

Hi S&L,
3/4" = 19.05mm so you ain't got much to remove to fit a 20mm axle through the slots.
Time to get medieval on it with your 14" mill-bastard file.
Or if you have a compressor, use a 3/4" diameter coarse stone in a die grinder.

Awesome thank you Fred! Wanted to make sure before I started going at it. Anything I should watch out for/not do?

Hi S&L,
nah, it's plain ol' fitter's work. Nothin' to it bar the usual safety precautions.
One thing though, don't take all the material off the top of one side and the bottom of the other or the axle will be tilted over.
On second thought; before you start removing metal, check the steering head and the axle holes for being at exact right angles.
If weld shrinkage or less than perfect assembly has twisted the frame a little out of square, removing metal from the top of one slot and the bottom of the other could help to put things right again.
And about that frame, it looks real tight in there, can you pull the oil drain plugs without first removing the engine?

Another great point Fred thank you! I will check the angel in the morning. It's a little tight but it's doable haha I thought the same thing when I found it on CL. Never messed with straightening up a frame before... I measure from the center of the neck or top?

Hi S&L,
shove a broom handle or whatever straight thing you have through the neck, wrap it with tape so it's concentric to the neck's bore.
then sling the frame up someplace using a spirit level to make sure the neck is dead vertical.
Now do the same trick with the rear axle holes. If the spirit level sez the neck is vertical and the axle holes are horizontal, you are golden.

Always like to here of new vendors. Can you tell us more about Slims Fab, where located, cost, dimentions, etc.
jefft

Perfect! I'll give it a go Fred. Thanks again.

jefft I don't know him personally ( wish I did ) but he's prob one of the best fabricators that I've seen. Everything that comes out of his shop is wicked. Puts 100%, die-hard American, and gets shit done. He's in So Cal I'm pretty sure. Don't know much about the shop and prices but I think his stuff is top shelf work so prob going to be pricey. I got lucky and stumbled upon this frame for a great price! Here's some of his work. Go check his blog out!

http://slimsfabfarm.com/

http://slimsfab.blogspot.com/

http://www.xs650chopper.com/2011/10/trophy-winning-six-fifty-the-midori-xs/

http://slimsfab.blogspot.com/2012/07/slimsfab-xs-for-von-fuct-eric.html

Back