XS650 Road Race Restoration

Lost On Row 1

RacerX
Reaction score
I am in the process of restoring a bike that Dan Gurney built in 1971. NOT THE GATOR!
This bike was built in his F1 shop using a Yamaha XS650 motor. It was raced against guys like Yvon DuHammel, Kenny Roberts and Gary Nixon. It is one of a kind and I just wanted to share the bike with those that may appreciate it. Here is a couple of pics. If anyone wants to discuss, comment or provide input...by all means.

[/URL][/IMG]

ChuckatOntarioDrumBrake_zps9f90c696.jpg

The frame is way cool.

[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• IMG_20140623_143128958_zps0a8d5e69.jpg
    IMG_20140623_143128958_zps0a8d5e69.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20140630_104623758_zpse08722fe.jpg
    IMG_20140630_104623758_zpse08722fe.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 3
That is great. I should have said that we have 750 pistons with a plated bore. The owner of the bike is Bill Brown of Historic Moto Gran Prix. That is a club for non- current bikes, most of them have a racing history and many trick one off factory parts. We do track days and at times get to be involved in exhibitions for Yamaha.
I may have to cry out for tech help as she gets running. I am not a XS650 expert but have many years wrenching. So in other words, I may have questions.

One of my current hurdles is to mount a lockhart oil cooler on the frame. It is a single down tube. I am open to suggestions. If it helps I would be glad to but up pics of the frame and cooler.

(wow, the new guy is a little needy)

Welcome to the gang! Sa-weeeet bike man! Love the tank and tail!
Any idea how much/little she weighs? Pics of fairing?:shrug:?

:popcorn:.... audience is alslo needy....:wink2:

Welcome to the forum, "Lost On Row 1". You have a very interesting project there.

I see a post-71 engine. That could use a story. And are the carbs mounted left/right switched? In fact, I'm pretty sure that we would all love to see closeup pics of the many unique features of that bike...

Interesting. Did you do the swap to front disc? What is the big ring for on the tank side indent? The beveled left side case for cornering clearance stands out .

The wheels and brakes were the last big modification prior to it being retired. These pics are from the 1971 +/- time frame after the mods.

The fuel tank on the bike now is from the Daytona/Ontario rounds where they had to get fuel. It was a quick fill from the side. I know, it sounds crazy, and apparently was. Fuel everywhere and in general was not successful.

This tank was for the regular tracks.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• Gurney750_zps49eb2122.jpg
    Gurney750_zps49eb2122.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Gurney7502_zpsdba2776a.jpg
    Gurney7502_zpsdba2776a.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 2
I thought to myself, "Could that be a side fill, naw that would be crazy" Well..... Keep us posted with your progress, especially with pics!

I have a request for suggestions and pictures.

I have a couple mounting challenges. I am open to thoughts or ideas. I know this thing will have some vibration. I have been given a Lockhart oil cooler and think it might work out best in the position of the original (huge) cooler.
Anyone have experience using this type of cooler mounted this low?
The right side cover is where both lines attach.
How about any suggestions for making the existing mounts work.
I don't want to modify the frame at all.

IMG_20140703_203054113_zpsf2ebc1b1.jpg

IMG_20140703_203248495_zpsc62ae942.jpg

IMG_20140703_203223863_zpsd27e9ac2.jpg

In the '80s when there were some XS650/750 bikes being run the the Battle Of The Twins series that mounted oil coolers -typically sourced from Trident/BSA 750 triples - and all that I saw were mounted up higher, more in line with the cylinder head and typically using clamps on the front of the frame. They also ran two tubes to the right side oil strainer area. Obviously, you will need to fab a connecting bracket.
Of course, most of those were were dual downtubes and you have a single down tube, but a high quality clamp (not a hose clamp) should be sufficient, especially if you mounted it with a small 1/8" pin to locate the clamp on the tube and safety wired the tightening screw mechanism.
If you eventually want to make the engine go fast, Michael Morse at 650 Central can help you with high quality advice. You can also check out 650performance.com for go fast info.

Last edited:
After looking this thing over I agree with the last post. Since the oil cooler is not massive, like the one originally on the bike, the cooler would be tightly sandwiched between the headers and the cases.

I like the idea of the clamp up near the head. I do not want to do anything to the frame, since that is the bikes most unique feature, so I hope someone can expound on 650performance's idea. I know someone out there has seen a nice mount setup that can be used with a single downtube.

As far as the power push, I have no idea where the bike goes after it's done. Using on the track and have it hit the deck would be tough. No way to replace most of it. (As far as I know.)
I was told that in 1971 Gurney had a head built by filling up the old ports and putting in the ports so they had a better shot to the valves. He may have even changed the valve placements, not sure. I will have to ask and get better details. The point of that was that He got somewhere around 10-12 more hp than one of the great builders at the time Shell Thuet.
[/URL][/IMG]

Another mounting challenge is the coil. The old coils mounted on the frame down tube behind the 34mm carbs. We know have 38's so the coils will not fit. We have a new dual output coil to go with the Pamco. Thinking about rubber mounting the coil to inner fender and letting the weight of the coil =more or less rest on the battery box bracket. We will not be using the frame as a ground. (I don't think)

So thanks, as I said, I don't know everything, just the stuff I know. Appreciate everyone's input.

Attachments

• IMG_20140703_210425119_zpsf35b2410.jpg
    IMG_20140703_210425119_zpsf35b2410.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 2
With such a large diameter single tube frame, all I can think of is exhaust pipe clamps.
Kinda gaudy, but you know that they won't slip...

Attachments

• PipeClamp04.jpg
    PipeClamp04.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 282
  • PipeClamp03.jpg
    PipeClamp03.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 277
  • PipeClamp02.jpg
    PipeClamp02.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 296
  • PipeClamp01.jpg
    PipeClamp01.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 252
42mm is the front downtube. The suggestions are great, I thought about the ex clamps. Looks the easiest and a few mods, paint could make them work well. I did not know they have rubber mounts as well, so thank you TwoMany. NONclow, those clamps are beefy, I like them.
Thanks people!

Lost, this is awesome. I've been collecting parts for my racer replica build for over 2 years now so this is just the inspiration I need to start building. Can't wait to see more photos.

If you like the rubber mounting...

Several years ago I was needing clamp parts. The local bicycle shop let me dive thru their junk box, and I found a bunch of reflector clamps and rubber bushing strips, like the pics below. The strips are u-channel shaped, the lip keeps the rubber strip in the clamp.

Also found some 1-3/4" clamps used on recumbent cycles...

Attachments

• ReflectorClamps.jpg
    ReflectorClamps.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 258
  • ClampBushing.jpg
    ClampBushing.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 267
Back