1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

XS650 Side Cover Bolt List (by dimensions)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustiePyles, Dec 2, 2020.

1. RustiePyles

RustiePyles Semper Fortis

I was looking for a list of bolts by dimensions for the side covers on an XS so I could source my own. I couldn't find one, so I made one. List includes all bolts for stator and primary cover. Enjoy!

DIAMETER X LENGTH-QTY
    5x12-2
    6x25-11
    6x40-3
    6x75-4
    Washers

6mm-4 (copper)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    gggGary and Paul Sutton like this.
  2. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

For the round alternator cover on the left side, it's better to use M5 x 12's or 14's. The M5 x 10's Yamaha used are too short .....

[​IMG]

You don't need or use 17 washers. The only place washers are called for is on the 4 lowest screws on the right cover.They are copper sealing washers because those 4 screws are below the oil level .....

[​IMG]

3. JRay77

JRay77 XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

Thanks fellers!

MaxPete likes this.
  4. bosco659

bosco659 XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

I didn’t use copper sealing washers on the bottom 4 and no leaks that I’ve seen. Am I just lucky or should I remove those bolts and get the washers?

MaxPete likes this.
  5. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

If you have these bolts in hand you can go to most any hardware store with them and just find the right bolts just by matching what you have.
    Around me there are Lowe's, TSC, Home Depot. They all have most of the bolts you need to replace most out these bolts. The long ones that go through the stator I didn't find quite the right length. I had to go a bit longer and cut a bit off to match.
    With the exceptions noted by 5twins.
    Leo

MaxPete and JRay77 like this.
  6. JRay77

Don't know if its worth mentioning, I've used longer screws and standoffish/spacers for the stator cover. Let some heat out. Surely there's tons of threads about it. What's the opinion on this?

MaxPete and Bewarethemoon like this.
  7. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

dirt n water.......

8. 5twins

Yes, I agree with Gary. I've read about this mod but am sort of leery about it possibly doing more harm than good. Get caught in a good rain and you would probably flood the stator and rotor pretty good, not to mention all the dirt and road debris that might get in. I think having the cover spaced out like that would make it act kind of like an air scoop. You'd get the extra cooling air of course, but who knows what else, lol.

Granted, my rotor recently failed on my '78, but it was the original as far as I know, and I can't see spacing my cover out making it last much longer than it did. It obviously didn't fail early due to having the cover on there tight.

JRay77 and gggGary like this.
  9. JRay77

I'd seen this done. I followed and done it on one. My one thought was: Alternators on cars aren't sealed. They're pretty exposed in various locations. BUT they aren't inches from the ground either. Good point guys. My 2010 Triumph Speedmaster 865 EFI got caught in some rain. It's been a random turd for problems since. Haha It does take a lot of heat for an extended time to melt the resin from the windings. Next thought: Need a drain hole if it's not sealed. Anywho appreciate the direction.

gggGary likes this.
  10. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yeah, the only ones among us who could get away with leaving their alternator cover riding away from the main case-cover are Mailman and Azman - no rain there.

...although I guess there may be some dirt somewhere around Arizona....;)

gggGary likes this.
  11. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
  12. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Umm.... ever look at the holes in a car alternator... ;)

alternator.jpg

13. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I being facetious guys. :D
    I don't think having it exposed is a good idea either. And like 5twins eluded to... some of our alternators went 40+ years before they went to the happy hunting ground. That Ain't bad. I don't think the extra cooling is really needed.

14. RustiePyles

Thanks 5T, I updated it. ( I Know the washers are unnecessary, But I like to use them on all the bolts anyway)

gggGary likes this.
  15. RustiePyles

Yeah, I've ordered the kits before. But i was looking for stuff you you cant get in the kits like black oxide stainless. I just ordered bulk bags of the fasteners I wanted from McMaster Carr. I'll have enough left over from 3 motors to put together a few spare kits and recoup some of my money or just have stock of extra fasteners.

gggGary likes this.
  16. 5twins

One more little revision - you'll need a total of 11 screws @ M6 x 25.

RustiePyles likes this.
  17. Mannyroad

Mannyroad XS650 Member

I can't see the point of the copper washers if the gasket is doing its job properly as it seals off the bolt openings so fail to see why washers needed. they don't have them on the sump plate bolts.

18. RustiePyles

Done! Thanks @5twins

gggGary likes this.
  19. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

My take on the copper washers: the bolt holes take away quite a bit of the contact area tween cover and case, kinda like belt n spenders they won't hurt anything by being there. But no matter how many you use it won't stop a worn tach drive shaft/seal from making you think your cover's leaking!

MaxPete, GLJ, JRay77 and 1 other person like this.