XS650 Tear Down and Re-build!

Vansnxtweek

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, been lurking around on the site for about the past 5 months and I feel that it is finally time to start a build thread.

I first got inspired to do a build on an XS when I found the combination of affordability, parts availability, and the cool factor!

I actually got very lucky on the bike that I got. My good friend found the bike about three hours from home and he went and picked it up....without telling me! What a surprise right? Upon introduction of the bike, I immediately found how good of condition the bike was in, cosmetically as well as mechanically. The bike fired up very easily and ran great. I began doing more intense research and finally after changing my mind about five times, I decided to begin the build by purchasing a TC bros hardtail. I was really stuck on the Ardcore Ardtail, but I just couldn't get past the look of the frame turning down in front of the seat area. For some reason it just bothered me and so I ended up going with the TC bros. Affordable, not too complicated, and above all else, lots of reference for the install on the internet!

image_zpsb9d5d59b.jpg

And so the tear down began! We began by taking off un-needed parts piece by piece.

558783_10100374180087237_1059871511_n_zps63f144f7.jpg

401577_10100374180356697_418029604_n_zps2a796254.jpg

Finally once the hard tail was in, we figured out a way to get the bike up on the work table. Once there, we measured, re-measured, re-measured again, and then went for it.

481474_10100374181639127_546942614_n_zpsa74ac04e.jpg

29612_10100374181728947_1787078263_n_zps7f38aec6.jpg

Once completely off, we enjoyed the moment long enough until I couldn't help but see what the tail was going to look like.

75223_10100374182133137_90221547_n_zps67350393.jpg

Next up, we tacked the tail and then placed the rear wheel in place to begin working out the spacing needed with the 3/4" washers. (I'm not a big fan of this BTW, but whatever works for the time being).

14688_10100380053821227_405682535_n_zpsdf262f37.jpg

After this, we put the bars on and started checking out ergo-nomics. I originally ordered FWD controls, but I soon found out this was definitely not what I was hoping for. Opposite from what I read, MikesXS was actually very friendly and understanding and helped me through the process of exchanging my order.

3481_10100383200729797_961387783_n_zps06f7a879.jpg

After deciding on seat (Biltwell Solo Diamond), we began mocking that up and decided on an angle and front to back placement of the seat. I love this seat! I had actually originally got the Full Diamond pattern seat from a different company and I was not impressed at all. The Biltwell seat was miles ahead of this other seat and it was the same price. Much more of what I hoped for.

Oh and a side note on the seat, in multiple places I saw that some people thing that this seat would look too big on the XS. Personally I think it looks great, it fits with the flow of this tail almost perfectly IMO.

190609_10100393560952827_1765231380_n_zps76163387.jpg

551830_10100393560957817_1390151537_n_zpscbec971e.jpg

64079_10100393560947837_865585328_n_zps2c443162.jpg

This is where I am now, I am waiting on the arrival of Mid-controls as well as an 18" rear wheel that I bought. I also am trying to decide on a tank. I have been bouncing between a regular (non-frisco mount) Sporty tank, or the offset cap alien tank. Still not sure which I'll be going with but I'm leaning towards the Sporty tank.

Opinions, comments, and advice are welcome!

Hi and welcome - I'm also using a TC Bros hardtail on my build, you'll love the build, i'm about half way done now.
Enjoy, there's plenty of help and info on this site, plus friendly people too!

Thanks for the comments guys!

I'm really excited to be a part of a new forum. Been a part of a few forums in the past doing a couple of projects and the forum life is half the fun.

Still up in the air about the tank. I just feel like the Sporty tank flows better but at the same time I hate how popular it is. I think the alien tank looks good with apes but not so sure about it with lower bars. Am I indecisive much??

My 18" rear wheel should be in today. I'm excited about that!

Updates coming.

Hi and welcome - I'm also using a TC Bros hardtail on my build, you'll love the build, i'm about half way done now.
Enjoy, there's plenty of help and info on this site, plus friendly people too!

Just out of curiosity, did you just use the washers to work out the spacing for the rear wheel? I saw where someone is producing weld in type shims for the hardtails but I haven't seen any reviews on them yet.

Well guys, its been quite a long time but I'd like to get back to updating this thread. A lot has changed on the bike but there is still a lot of work to do. I had to fight through the wiring quite a bit.

Here is where it stands now. Trying to figure out a rear fender. I think I'm going to see what Joe Cooper at Cooper Smithing Co. can do for me. If you haven't checked out his site give it a look. Looks like he is doing some cool stuff!

photo3_zps94f0af50.jpg

photo2_zpsfcef43b9.jpg

photo1_zps34d67cd0.jpg

photo4_zpsfd919cc4.jpg

Thanks so much!! I just ordered some parts this week so updates will follow! Heard back from Joe Cooper on the fender too so im super excited about that!

Trying to decide between a 19" front rim or 21". Can't decide if the 21 looks out of place or not!

Depends on what you want it to look like. IMO a 19 is nice and tidy, but with extended forks and a hardtail a 21 would look better.........

I have to agree man. I think with the look I'm going for, sticking with the 19" will be best. Prob. go with a 3.25 or 3.5-19 Speedmaster.

looking good, interested to see your fender ideas

Thanks. I am really excited to see how it turns out as well.

As far as the rear rim, I'm trying to decide whether to replace the spokes and get the stock one powder coated or get one from MikesXS. I've always wonder if the chrome plating can be stripped and powder coated. Seems like an odd finish to paint.

What do ya'll think?

Gotten a lot done lately, but still seeming to run into hold ups.

IMG_4788_zpsd509547f.jpg

I have the hubs getting powder coated right now along with the lower fork tubes. Smoothed the fork tubes before sending those off. Curious to see how it will all turn out.

IMG_4793_zpsc35495b1.jpg

IMG_4813_zps9ed851a1.jpg

Got the rear brake pivot mount made up and just about mounted.

IMG_4747_zps25b3ccd7.jpg

Picked up some pipes from Pandemonium Customs. They are a good group of folks.

IMG_4759_zps13b523aa.jpg

IMG_4792_zps28aef580.jpg

Been working a lot with electrical. I decided to go with a HHB PMA and Pamco E advance setup so I can run kick only and beat the punch to charging issues. I'm slowly trying to wire this thing but I keep banging my head against the wall on stupid stuff like should I run multiple ground wires or just one and splice it off into runs to things. I have about 100 feet of modern cloth covered wire so stripping that back and splicing in seems like it'd be a hack job. It seems stupid to run 6 different ground wires though.

IMG_4899_zpsecdea121.jpg

All I can say is Hugh's Handbuilt and PamcoPete are two awesome dudes. Hugh's how to on his site made the PMA install seamless. I also kind of used his 277 Pamco install as a frame for knowledge for the Ignition install. Pamco has responded to every thread I've ever found about the Pamco unit so the information is all out there. It is much appreciated.

I have a simple question about the the brake switch wire. I'm guessing that one wire is positive and the other is ground and when the switch is contacted it completes the circuit? I don't want to blow a switch trying to guess at it.

I'm gonna go ahead and get off the fence and get a Biltwell throttle assembly. I read nothing but good things about them but the cable fitment is a known issue. I'm gonna try to fix I found on ChopCult but if that doesn't work I guess I'll go with a custom cable from Motion Pro. I'll post results.

For making electrical connections at the lights and such for easy disassembly I have been trying to find the rubber covered bullet style connectors that were used on the original harness but I'm only finding 50 packs which can add up quick. What have you all used?

Lastly, what are you all using for a fuse block? Something weather proof or basic or what? I am going to put all my electronics in what I was going to use for a battery box, so it won't be completely exposed but I'm sure it may get a slight bit of moisture to it when washing and such.

Thanks guys

Gotten a lot done lately, but still seeming to run into hold ups...

Got the rear brake pivot mount made up and just about mounted...

I'm slowly trying to wire this thing but I keep banging my head against the wall on stupid stuff like should I run multiple ground wires or just one and splice it off into runs to things. I have about 100 feet of modern cloth covered wire so stripping that back and splicing in seems like it'd be a hack job. It seems stupid to run 6 different ground wires though.

I have a simple question about the the brake switch wire. I'm guessing that one wire is positive and the other is ground and when the switch is contacted it completes the circuit? I don't want to blow a switch trying to guess at it.

For making electrical connections at the lights and such for easy disassembly I have been trying to find the rubber covered bullet style connectors that were used on the original harness but I'm only finding 50 packs which can add up quick. What have you all used?

Lastly, what are you all using for a fuse block? Something weather proof or basic or what? I am going to put all my electronics in what I was going to use for a battery box, so it won't be completely exposed but I'm sure it may get a slight bit of moisture to it when washing and such.

Going to add a brakelight switch tab with that rear brake mount?

You could use the frame as your master ground. Means adding bungs/tabs though, if necessary.

The brakelight switch is a power 'passthru', it doesn't ground. The ground is done thru the bulb base.

Here's info for your wiring: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37882

Ahhhh okay thank you thats what I was wondering. So I guess the brake switch gets power to both sides and when it connects it makes a complete circuit.

I kind of like the idea for the bungs though. I guess I could place those accordingly around on the frame.

Yeah we have actually made up a brake switch tab, I just forgot to grab a picture. At this point I kind of wish I would have sourced a disc brake for the rear but I just tried to save some money and keep the old school look.

Thank you for the wiring link.

What is ya'll's opinion on lining an aftermarket tank? I have read both sides but I can't seem to make a decision. I don't want to unless its totally necessary.

I lined my tank several years ago, after derusting. Mostly because I wanted to stop the rusting and prevent any leaks. However, there's been some reports of certain liners that aren't very tolerant of gasohol. There's your homework...

Hi Van,
just to be perfectly clear on this, I think all you hardtail guys should sign up on an S & M site.
But to show I ain't prejudiced I will still try to be helpful.
The diamond seat looks good and never mind how wide it is, it's there to hold your arse up and how wide is that?
I'd like to see it lifted up a bit at the back though, the way it is right now you could slide backwards off it.
Thoroughly ground EVERYTHING, use separate wires if you have to.
Ungrounded or poorly grounded kit is a major cause of electrical systems "WTF, Help" posts on this list.
If your tank ain't rusty, don't line it.
No matter what the mfrs claim, today's ethanolized gas WILL eat that stuff.
What I do to overwinter my gas tank is drain it then pour in a cupful of engine oil and slosh it around.
It ain't rusted yet.

I lined my tank several years ago, after derusting. Mostly because I wanted to stop the rusting and prevent any leaks. However, there's been some reports of certain liners that aren't very tolerant of gasohol. There's your homework...

Thats what I have read as well. Ethanol crap ruining another thing along with carbs. Thanks for the homework cheat sheet!

Hi Van,
just to be perfectly clear on this, I think all you hardtail guys should sign up on an S & M site.
But to show I ain't prejudiced I will still try to be helpful.
The diamond seat looks good and never mind how wide it is, it's there to hold your arse up and how wide is that?
I'd like to see it lifted up a bit at the back though, the way it is right now you could slide backwards off it.
Thoroughly ground EVERYTHING, use separate wires if you have to.
Ungrounded or poorly grounded kit is a major cause of electrical systems "WTF, Help" posts on this list.
If your tank ain't rusty, don't line it.
No matter what the mfrs claim, today's ethanolized gas WILL eat that stuff.
What I do to overwinter my gas tank is drain it then pour in a cupful of engine oil and slosh it around.
It ain't rusted yet.

HAHAH I'll look for an S&M site for some guidance as well lol. My bohunkahs are about the width of the seat so we will see how that does! I'm also curious of the slide back that I'll have with this seat. Definitely don't want a butt on the fender whiskey throttle experience! I'm thinking you're right on the tank lining according to what else I've read. That's that.

Thanks for the non-prejudiced help!

Back