XS650 Tear Down and Re-build!

I did a global search, and found they're all located in Saskatoon, Canada...

Hi 2Many,
what a Texan may think of as S&M we Saskatonians reckon to be rugged Canadian Individualism.
However, as we shovel snow off our sidewalks (Oct thru Apr) wait for the City to sweep megatons of winter gravel off the streets (Apr thru June) before daring to ride on them and spend the rest of the year weaving our bikes around potholes and road repair crews, perhaps you are right.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket coil for the Pamco? There is a huge difference in the voltage output from some others compared to the stock coil. Is this simply to help with starting? I didn't realize the stock wires couldn't be removed from the stock coil.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket coil for the Pamco? There is a huge difference in the voltage output from some others compared to the stock coil. Is this simply to help with starting? I didn't realize the stock wires couldn't be removed from the stock coil.

Hi Van,
not sure about the correct Ohms number for a Pamco, ask Pete about that and about the plug wires too, he gotta know, eh?
Get the hottest coil you can find from a known manufacturer.
Be prepared for sticker shock, you don't get what you don't pay for.

I contacted Pete about it, he said the stock coil should be okay but I think I may just go ahead and drop the dime. The "ultimate" coil is about 80 bucks so thats not too bad. I have a stupid question about wiring this thing directly to a battery.

When I go to do this….

The Pamco has 3 wires coming out, black, red, and green. The green is the signal wire so I would thing that has to go to one of the contacts on the coil. Take the black pamco wire to the neg. side of the battery, and the red pamco wire to the positive side of the battery. Then, the coil gets a wire from the 12v switched power…and…
Is the coil grounded just by connecting it to the frame or does it have to be separately grounded by a wire on the same contact as the signal wire? I see that the coil has no specific polarity.

Thanks guys

I've seen that one in a few different threads. It sounds like the 30,000 volt output is kind of in the middle of the stock coil and the flame throwers.

So I'm trying to figure out how to do all my connections at the headlight, taillight, and such. What do you all think about these? I wish they were black but I can only find them in 50 packs which is actually pretty expensive.

bullet-terminal_zps0c5c68f3.jpg

This is looking pretty slick as well…

clear-metripack-fuse-cover_zps95705e29.jpg

Alright guys, I need some help. I have found these small fuse box/wire kits that I would like to use to tie in my accessories. What I have read is that you should have a switch specifically for your headlight/taillight so that you aren't trying to power those while starting the bike. Is this a true problem or will it start up fine with those directly wired?

If I use one of these kits I am guessing I'd need to tie it into a switch if that truly is a problem. Otherwise, I could just wire it all straight from the capacitor.

Thanks guys.

That's my thought as well. I am hoping I don't regret not running a battery, but its not like I can't change that. I'm gonna run a fused circuit to the key, then to the coil. I'd like to have a kill switch on the handlebars as well..just for safety sake. I guess I'll run a second wire off the positive side of the cap to the fuse block for the accessories. We will see how it works out. Hope I have enough room.

Finally got my brake line in I ordered a couple of weeks ago. Problem is, it doesn't work with the master cylinder I got from Mike's. Awesome. Oh well, I got another one on the way so I guess I'll sell the one from Mike's. It was a bit bigger than I hoped for anyways, but it does look good. I need to make a dang for sale thread for a lot of stuff.

IMG_4916_zps608b6df5.jpg

Picked up a Biltwell Whiskey Throttle and instead of messing with drilling out cable adapters to hold it in place, I called up Motion Pro. 40 bucks for a custom cable! Not bad, so I'm excited about that. Pictures to come.

Posted via Mobile

No battery will need a switch to make starting easier.
This switch can pretty much be placed anywhere as long as it turns lights on and off.
No biggy

Lester

Thanks Lester, that's what I decided to go with. I picked this one up.

switch_posh_blk_coat_01_full_1024x1024_zps82a32c82.jpg

Hopefully it'll do the job

Made some progress

Just picked up a brembo caliper. Trying to find a rotor now.

F576B3CE-A60F-4FAD-AA13-C4C21A1C2EE6_zpsu38kshah.jpg

5C920848-AA6D-429A-8255-ECABE9A85B96_zps1hsgruv2.jpg

A1F26CBA-8C58-4677-AE11-79AE8CB58505_zpspk30by73.jpg

Posted via Mobile

Pretty certain no one looks at this thread haha but I made some more progress over the weekend

D896820D-61ED-4DB3-993D-C9259634B0FF_zpshwihjqcs.jpg

6BAB6C3A-BD6B-46D7-B874-1AFEEC50434F_zpsmye7kn3i.jpg

777E7A48-27AE-4B64-A2B5-94E7FB65D92A_zpsunabmsta.jpg

Posted via Mobile

Hahah thanks Airwolfe!! I'm glad someone is checking it out. Lots of hours in this old girl!!! Get on that wiring!! It's not too bad once you dive in.

Posted via Mobile

Back