XS650 Valve and Clutch Adjusters, Resurfacing

Oh sure! weren't you the one that posted the exploding KEDO thread, AFTER I bought some? Then showed pics of your fractured elephant feet? :grin:

I used your setting gauge this week, and it's very nicely made. :thumbsup:
But the way I set valves..... I don't use it in with my process.
Check existing clearance with feeler, loosen the nut and tappet, lightly finger snug tappet against the "correct" feeler, this holds the feeler in place, I have a little 3mm square drive drive wrench I made out of an old ignition wrench to hold the stem, then tighten the nut with a 12mm offset wrench, check the feeler feel. Double check that the next feeler size up is no go, done.
FWIW when I tighten the nut I snug then use a bit of a final "jerk", not huge but enough that the nut "sets" on the rocker arm. Some old tech article said that "set feel" is part to part micro welds, dunno, :shrug: but the nuts stay put.

gggGary's 4 adjusters arrived. Low-time, quite fair shape.
Wear tracks only about 0.001" - 0.002" deep.
Measured radius is 8mm (added to geometry thread).

gggGary-GoodAdjusters01.jpg

About 8K on that motor 3 of that in the last year the first 5K was all put in in the late 70's early 80's

After a close examination, and thinking on it, I've changed my mind. These adjusters are in quite good shape, and regrinding them to a 19mm radius is a waste of hardened surface. I'd rather do 19mm regrinds on well-worn and pitted adjusters.

So, these were given a very light regrind/touchup, removing as little as possible, about 0.002", to a new radius of 9mm.

gggGary-re-gggGrinds.jpg

And, they're on their way back to gggGary...

Well the good news is; I have plenty of XS motors........

:D

Put in a good hard day today,about 240 miles 50 or 60 at 9/10's, fast as I could go chasing sport bikes. At the end of the day I could hear the valves a bit, so checked them. Here's the pics;

A couple of the adjuster ends.

View attachment 63985 View attachment 63986

This valve had gone from .006" to .009" Doesn't look like .003 of wear, could have been an error on my part or a bit of carbon? The others were the same as set to about .001 wider.

View attachment 63987 View attachment 63988

valve stem ends all looked good, still working on getting the photo lighting right.

got 145 psi L & 149 R and the plugs look good.

View attachment 63989

78 79 BS 38s UNI foam in the stock airboxes, commando mufflers, pamco, mech advance, an accel coil. I would call this the best running XS motor I have owned. Coming straight from a hard flog to to a stop for others to catch up :wink2: it would sit and idle without a burble then go right back to it for more.

Kind of interesting the tracks look a little longer than those on the stock grind but far from the edges yet. I think there are 3 with the "silver ends" the other exhaust had a regular adjuster.

She's back together and ready for more.

View attachment 63990
Just reading these posts now after all this time and Im thinking you were being a bit modest, you weren’t chasing sport bikes, they were chasing you. I dont think you had to try too hard either. Knowing what you can get up to with these 650s you worked those sports bikes hard. No one works on bikes like you guys here.

Back