Yet another wiring / NAPA regulator question!

Sgilliesjr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I picked up a 1972 XS-2 basket case for less than a hand full of green backs. I have it built and am just finishing up the wiring. I am using the radio shack rectifier / NAPA regulator and I am stumped. I have poured over diagram after diagram and can't find this one little answer. Where does the Black wire on the pick up coil need to go? There was zero wiring on the bike or I would just trace the wire. The early diagrams show it grounded. I just put in the nylon screws in the pick up to unground it in order to use the NAPA regulator, so I am not sure it goes back to ground. In the later diagrams it appears to tie back into the main harness and go back to the fuse that powers the regulator a kind of loop, which doesn't seen right because you would essentially have to hots going to the pick up coil.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Posted via Mobile

You mean the brushes right? That's a really good question, it's left out of all the wiring diagrams when you wire it that way. Every time I rewire one I get to that point and I have to spend time researching text to figure it out. It's the outer brush that you're talking about right? my notes are out in my shop, I'll have to go out and find them

Yes, the brushes. Not the green wire coming from the regulator to the brushes but the other brush wire, mine happens to be black. I did see different years had different colors. I am assuming it was due to the later models have solid state reg/rec. I added a pic of the diagram and am pointing at the wire in question. Not sure why the picture turned side ways. :banghead:

Attachments

• IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 282
On the 70-79 bikes that used the separate regulator and rectifier the brush grounded to the stator housing and through the black wire into the harness ground.
Does the regulator your using have four wires coming out of it? Or does it have the triangular hole with pins?
The one with the hole and pins works best with the 80 up bikes. The four wire one works best with the 70-79 bikes.
Using the hole and pins requires the three screw mod.
The four wire one doesn't.
Leo

Hum, so do you know if the regulator shunts to ground? I am confused. The hot wire going to the regulator, unless I am even more confused than I thought, comes from a inline fuse keyed power. So It makes a complete curcuit with the regulator controlling ground?

Posted via Mobile

Cool! You guys are life savers!!! Kind of confusing because you essentially have two hots going to the regulator, I am assuming that the regulator controls the ground through some kind of black magic, LOL! Don't care as long as it works! If you guys ever make it to Cave Creek AZ hit me up I owe you a beer!

Posted via Mobile

Yes that diagram will work. When hooking the wires to the regulator be very sure you have the right colors going to the right pins. Reversing them fries the reg as soon as you turn on the power.
On the reg you are using it reads the voltage on the brown wire. The brown wire also sends power to the one brush.
If this voltage is low the reg turns on the main power transistor. Doing this grounds the green wire allowing current to pass through the rotor. This excites the stator into producing power.
Once the voltage reaches the proper level the re turns the transistor off. It repeats this cycle several thousand times per minute where the stock mechanical reg only cycles around a 100 times per minute. This faster cycle rate keeps the battery charged better.
Leo

Back