Here's my contribution, 'redneck' deer feeder battery:
full

full

I'm still laughing at the thought of your buddy on that bean bag.:laugh:

I have to ask....about the batteries.

1. Because you had them.
2. Because they were cheaper.
3. Wanted to see if they would work.

I love it.....like the took kit too and the fact that the bike looks like it gets used. :thumbsup:

I figure these days.....it's your own fault if you get battery acid on your chrome.

Cheers......Gordon in NC

I'm still laughing at the thought of your buddy on that bean bag.:laugh:

He rather liked the ride, said it was very comfortable.

And gave him the feel of a 'low rider'.

I have to ask....about the batteries.

1. Because you had them.
2. Because they were cheaper.
3. Wanted to see if they would work.

Gordon, out here is ranch and horse country. It's all I have to work with.

Just be glad that my 'clutch cable experiments' didn't include barbed wire.

I love it.....like the took kit too and the fact that the bike looks like it gets used. :thumbsup:

That tool kit includes a tube of super-glue, great for fixin' flats.
And a scraper fer gittin' the cow patties outta the tires.

If you have a spare fencepost, you could make this here 'redneck' tool:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=307597&postcount=124

Hi Gord,
your first post shows what seems to be an XS650/Velorex sidecar rig in the shadows just in front of the bluebagger.
An enterprenurial redneck could fill that ol' Velorex with canned beer & bagged ice and be the most popular vendor at 'most any bike rally that I was ever at.
FWIW, I once stowed 14 dozen-boxes of Guinness in my SofA sidecar with the tonneau snapped down but they were empties.
But full cans plus ice?
I can put a 200lb passenger in a sidecar.
4 x 10 bags of party ice = 40 lbs
160 lbs of beer @ ~11oz each = 20 twelve-packs.
Take the seat out and we are in business!

Holy cow!!!!! (no pun intended) I'm all over that jackstand......love it!!! Got just the right stuff at home for that.....nice. :thumbsup:

Since you mentioned it.....I looked up Fredericksburg. I've spent a LOT of time in TX back in my younger days and the closest I got to you was San Marcos and New Braunfels. The hill country is/was my favorite part of TX.

Take care......Gordon in NC

Hi Gord,
your first post shows what seems to be an XS650/Velorex sidecar rig in the shadows just in front of the bluebagger.
An enterprenurial redneck could fill that ol' Velorex with canned beer & bagged ice and be the most popular vendor at 'most any bike rally that I was ever at.
FWIW, I once stowed 14 dozen-boxes of Guinness in my SofA sidecar with the tonneau snapped down but they were empties.
But full cans plus ice?
I can put a 200lb passenger in a sidecar.
4 x 10 bags of party ice = 40 lbs
160 lbs of beer @ ~11oz each = 20 twelve-packs.
Take the seat out and we are in business!

Fred.....you nailed the Velorex but it's on a BSA unit single. I only use it for camping gear so there is no seat in the chair.

I have the 20mm axle conversion with the trailer wheel if need be.....plus I just had Hagon make me a special shock......so 200 lbs would be an easy do.

Not a bad idea at all......:laugh:

Gordon in NC

Fred.....you nailed the Velorex but it's on a BSA unit single. I only use it for camping gear so there is no seat in the chair. - - - Gordon in NC

Hi Gord,
spotting the Velorex was easy because I got one.
The BSA, not so much. All I can see is the bars.
How does the BSA/Velorex ride?
Buddy had a Dneipr sidecar on his B44 and it's far happier now it's on his XS650.
Mind you, the Dneipr factory used to make Soviet battle tanks so perhaps the Velorex is lighter?

....snip....How does the BSA/Velorex ride? ....snip.../QUOTE]
Fred, it's my first rig so I don't have anything to compare it to but to me it feels like they are a perfect match. Keep in mind the 560/562 was first built to be mounted on a 350cc motorcycle.....so the 441 is a snap. I did have to down size my countershaft sprocket....and I thought I would never get the shock right. But now it's a joy to ride and we have covered thousands of miles together.

IF and WHEN I run across another Velorex for a good price......I'll mount it on a XS650.

I have a pile-o-parts 650B that is slated for just that and I'm collecting/hoarding parts for it.

Gordon in NC.......comical and redneck go hand in hand :laugh: You know the OLD joke...What's a redneck's last/final words???? "Hey ya'll, watch this!!!!" :bike:

IF and WHEN I run across another Velorex for a good price......I'll mount it on a XS650.
I have a pile-o-parts 650B that is slated for just that and I'm collecting/hoarding parts for it.

Hi Gordon,
yeah the Dneipr was way heavy and the guy who'd mounted it to my Buddy's 441 had swapped the sidecar's original wobbly Russian wheel for an 8" 2LS drum brake front wheel off a Suzuki that he'd hard-linked to the BSA's pathetic little back brake.
Hit the brakes and the rig turned right, regardless.
I helped the Dneipr's XS650 transfer with a bargain price on my first XS650 subframe and my alleged set-up skills.
BTW, that was 5 subframe designs ago. Here's the latest and easiest:-
Pull the 2 long bolts that hold the front engine mount to the frame.
Unlikely you'll find the longer bolts you'll need so thread the ends of some 10mm barstock.
(Mr Bodger uses 3/8" UNF threaded rod instead but he don't admit to it)
Bolt on a strap of 5/32" x 1-1/2" flat bar each side that reach down to below the exhaust pipes.
Weld a length of 1-1/4" x 0.1" wall square tube across them so it sticks out past the rightside exhaust pipe.
Make a square U-shape out of the same flat bar and weld it on the end of the crosspiece for a fore and aft square tube to fit in.
Drill through the U-shape & square tube vertically for a 1/2" bolt.
It'll make a bolted L-joint.
Pull the bike's centerstand. Keep the special bolts.
Leave the sidestand because you'll need it if you take the sidecar off for maintenence or access.
Make two stubs of square tube that plug into the frame centerstand mounts pointing backwards.
Drill through the stubs to suit the existing centerstand pivot bolts.
Weld another square tube crosspiece across the back ends of the stubs so that the back crosspiece matches the front one.
Your choice:- Weld the fore and aft square tube to the end of the aft crosspiece
OR weld another U-shape on the end of the back crosspiece to make a bolted connection.
It'll make either a welded or a bolted Tee joint.
Drill through the fore and aft square tube 5/8" diameter to fit 5/8" (or 16mm) Heim joints to make the lower sidecar connections.
Drill the front mounting hole in the place that best suits the sidecar frame.
Same for the back mounting hole but also make sure it's far enough back to clear your boot when you kickstart.
Plate the square tubes open ends to look tidy if you like.
The two upper attachments that clamp around the frame tubes can be bought for ~$60 each but Mr. cheapskate makes his own.

Last edited:
.....snip....It'll make a bolted L-joint..

Fred......I was doing pretty good following your instructions but some where around this step....I got lost. :confused:

I'm in commercial construction.....and have to read specs all the time....but drawings are what I'm better at understanding when it comes to putting something together.

You got a camera?????? If not, how about I send you one with return postage and a box and we get some photo's of your subframe?

When I first got my chair I had no clue what a sub frame was. It took a lot of reading and looking at photo's online to finally get it figured out. I had to re-do my first attempt but think I have it nailed this time around.

It would be a LOT of help if I didn't have to come up with my own design for the XS650.

Thanks for your help......Gordon in NC

Fred......I was doing pretty good following your instructions but some where around this step....I got lost. - - -

Hi Gordon,
I sent you a PM
Meanwhile, here's a photo of the similar subframe that I built for an XS750.

P1000957-1.jpg

It's kinda dark under there but you can just about see how the rear crosspiece extensions plug into the frame's centerstand mounts.
The XS750 subframe's front attachment is completely different to suit the XS750's front engine mounts.
But the design philosophy is the same:- Attach the subframe to BOTH sides of the frame using the strongest existing fasteners you can find.

Last edited:
With your ability to scrounge from job sites, keep your eyes open for some heavy all-thread scraps, like 3/4" stuff. With them, a little angle iron, and a few suitably sized nuts, you can build some dandy little adjustable jack stands .....

Jackstands.jpg

Jackstands2.jpg

Jackstands3.jpg

Hi 5twins,
nice little stands, I will shamelessly steal the idea.
Except I'll put the nut atop the crosspiece so the stand's function don't rely on my pathetic welding skills.

On my current project, I'm doing that, but I'm dropping the all-thread into a pipe sleeve so it doesn't wobble side to side much.

Hi 5twins,
or use a double-height coupler nut, that'd cut down the wobble without needing an extra part.

On my current project, I'm doing that, but I'm dropping the all-thread into a pipe sleeve so it doesn't wobble side to side much.

Damn......if this keeps up I'll have enough projects to last me all winter:laugh: One of these days 5twins.....I'm going to fab up one of your rotating engine stands.....I really like that one.

Love the idea 5twins :thumbsup:

Now to put your's AND Fred's ideas together.......wonder if a nut on top and bottom would stop the wobble?

Gordon in NC......who's packed and ready for the Southeast XS rally.......hope those superbike fellows are okay with me being there.....sure haven't heard much out of the 650 crew.

Back