10-15 mies and she quits running?

sonnysboy2

enjoying the ride!
Reaction score
I've got a slimmed down xs650 with stock(minus excess wiring)electric and carbs(w/ filter pods). The bike runs great for 10-12 miles with minimal backfire but it will sputter for a half mile then quit. I did notice the headlight was dim compared to bright. I have a new battery and good connections - any help out there would be appreciated. Thnx! Sonny

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 61
Roy- I just opened the gas cap- turned the fuel on and it started right up.
I hate to ask a stupid question, but how can I correct that?

Looks like Roy hit it.
Pop the cap open and look for some vent holes in the metal piece that's surrounded by the rubber gasket. Sometimes these can get clogged by rust or whatever. I believe that circular piece is pressure fitted onto a frame and can be popped off.......might depend on the year though so for ease try probing those holes. May only be one hole or as many as three, but probe and blow them clear. If that doesn't get it further disassembly may be required. Remember how you take it apart. Yow!
Screws.....take them little screws out.
Shoulder surgery and oxycodon.......

funny- I left the damn thing down the road so I could get on the forum and ask "what the %#@* and then I got the answer - walked back down the street, opened the tank, kicked it right over and she roared to life...gotta love it!
Thnx!!

Well I'd be worried about that dim headlight yet. Charge the battery at home then get a voltmeter and check that you have about 12.5 volts at idle and that it goes up to about 14 volts at 3000 RPM.
Weak charging and ignition systems will act about the same as a plugged tank vent.
A new battery will recover enough just sitting for a few minutes to allow the bike to restart and run for a bit again....

You mentioned it's rewired; did you run grounds from battery to frame, frame to engine, and fork/headlight back to battery?

Yes- I forgot about the dimming headlight because I was so damn excited that it started and I didn't have to leave it in front of the neighbor's house all night. But they probably weren't too thrilled when it came to life in front of their house and I had to warm it up a bit!

You've got a good point and its a new battery too. I'll check with my friend that does all things electric with the bike - weak point is he's a car builder - but the concept is similar according to me - as he laughs.

Just because so many guys have been caught by this; the engine being bolted to the frame is NOT enough ground. It needs ground wires, the factory had them up at the head, frame mounts but anywhere is fine. There's a charging system guide...

Where do you suggest getting the best ground - bolt into the frame? As strange as it may sound, I had an issue before with the electric starter not making good contact on the handlebars - that was before the re-wire and I opted to get rid of the bulky throttle and switch to something smaller and less cumbersome, so I moved the starter to a button below that is easy access - sometimes I kick and sometimes I push the button.

Not a perfect pic but this is what the factory did,

engine ground.jpg

One end under the bolt to the frame the other end goes under the engine bolt. In this pic the wire end is on the other side of the engine.

Back