1976 xs650 points.....

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys well i,ve been fiddling with these points set up for a couple of weeks ,, i have had it running sort off 1 or twice ,, anyway yesterday after putting new short screws in the lower side plate for the left points ,,,,i found that both the screws have a slot in the plate ,,, ..... tooo my shock , so again i tried to set the left side ,, i think i could be advanced too much as its trying to start then slight back fire ,,not loud but there.. anyway everything is off and out and today after i drive 80k to do my shopping ,, i play in the garage ,,hopefully get the boy going .. .... as an after thought wouldn,t it be nice if i had the jap engineer on a wireless webcam to LOOK and TALK me thru every little bit ......... that would be nice .. i can live in hope regards oldbiker

Honestly, i just run the single point set up and it runs fantastic and it takes two seconds to set the timing. If it were a bike i drove alot and all over the place i would go electronic. But for me, using it for jaunts to work though the city and some weekend cruises it's the way to go. I clean my point faces with rubbing alcohol every month and check the timing when i change oil.

I ran the single points set up. It ran good. I did check the timing with a light and got two images on the timing marks. They were about 4-5 degrees apart at idle. One mark on each side of the two F marks. Which are about 2-3 degrees apart.
I tried a file to even the lobes up and they laughed at me. To hard, the file wouldn't even mark them.
I thought this difference was part of the vibration issue.
Switching to the Pamco helped smooth the vibes out.

hi that sounds inviting ,,, using a double lobe with single points ,,,which points do you use ,and how do you wire it up ,,,i have heard a lot of guys have dramas with the new double lobs from mikesxs,, i would probably need to buy an origional from somebody regads oldbiker

As far as the wiring I used the upper set of points and a wired the points wire to both coils. That way both coils fire together. Wasted spark. Or uses a dual output coil with a 4-5 ohm primary. After i bunrt up one of the stock coils I got a coil for an old Harley. A chrome can with two plug wires. 46 -78 0r something like that. $16 off Ebay. Much more spark than the stock coils.

I used the bottom set of points. and bought a used, but looks like new dual output coil from a Seca at the local breaker. Then used a small ballast resistor i constructed out of two resistors wired in paralell, then put in series with the coil + lead to bring the resistance up a bit on it as it was around 3.2 ohms without the resistor (now it's 3.8 or so). Helps to not burn the point faces out. Try the new mikes dual points cam and see if you can round up a used dual output coil with a resistance of around 3.5ohms to 4 ohms. cheap investment if your not buying a new coil and you may end up liking it and then you can buy a new coil. The cheap dual output 4 ohm coil is a good choice from mikes once you decide you want a new one. I wouldn't spend the money on the high output green monster coil. I had a real hard time trying to get mine to stop arcing to ground from the coil towers. Alot of voltage to contend with...it was even arcing to the coil primary....:eek: If the rest of your wiring and electrical system is tip top, you won't need the H.O. coil.

and you only use one wire from the condenser. One contact point, one condenser. I took out the other point. And just neatly curled up the wire for it inside the cover. Then taped off the other end that went to the coil/condenser along with the unused condenser lead.

anybody run mikes dual lobe or have any feedback on it? and none of you "i hate mikes and everything he makes" type dudes. some feedback with a little thought would be awesome. or maybe someones got a good used one they wanna part with?!

I ran double single point set up for a while, I thought it was great until I tried opening it up, it just wouldn't rev past 4500/ 5000 revs, I kept thinking it wasn't getting enough fuel as it was stuttering and missing, I put a Boyer unit on and it was a completely differant bike altogether, if I didn't want the occasional blast down the road the single points were good, always started second kick and ran nicely up to those revs, there was someone else on this forum that sounded like he had exactly the same problem as me.

never thought of that. Might be a problem i guess since they are opening so fast. But i always got mine to rev quite well.

Last edited:
Back