2 into 2 exhaust options

I was just learning. My mufflers were all rusted out, right pipe had a big ding in it. I read about the commandos and Mikes had pipes and all. Well, then I found out my purchase was EMGO and not the Commandos of old. But, then, one would think if you got the set everything would fit. Noooo. Had it been a "set" it would have fit with out need of the adapters. Three adapters, too much, pipe would not go in; two adapters, it was sloppy and supplied clamps were not strong enough to pinch it tight. To fix this problem, Harley "gorilla" clamps were required/suggested, something else to buy.
Long story short. I used two adapters. I cut a piece of 1 inch wide spring steel pallet strapping by how ever long was needed to wrap around and fit into the pipe as a shim. I used high temp red silicone, slathered it up and put it together using the clamps that came with the set. They are solid, and do not leak. They look good and sound pretty good.
As far as power? Who knows. I read about keeping things in the power band and low / high end torque and the pipes or mufflers required to do that. I don't know. What I do know is, Yamaha had a crossover pipe. I don't see people talk about it. I know how to balance/tune a header system on a small block Chevy and how to identify where to weld in the crossover for a heavy breather.
How did I know my Chevy headers were tuned? Well the same way I knew the Z1 pipe/muffler combination were tuned. Stand behind it. You will feel the little puffs of air forcefully hitting you and scavenging properly. (Yea, I know you can use a dyno and move the crossover around to get in the band you want but this was shade tree and it works)
Hummmm. I want some Cut-outs !!!!! YES! Chrome cut-outs right in front of where the mufflers connect to the pipes; kinda angled out, down and back, thumb operated Like a 4 X 4 throttle. Humm, Might hiss? I need to think about this. ( It's the damn Harley guys that are too stuck up to say "Hi", when you pass em'. Might be fun to just hit the cutouts and gas it!) Might break em' from sucking eggs?

Last edited:
What I do know is, Yamaha had a crossover pipe. I don't see people talk about it

I want some Cut-outs !!!!! YES! Chrome cut-outs right in front of where the pipes connect; kinda angled out, down and back, thumb operated Like a 4 X 4 throttle
The Crossover pipe is one of my favorite features of the stock exhaust system ! You know it works...
And Cut Outs lol.. well if you want those for the effect perhaps you better include an ignition source to light it up too !
:devil:

Machine, your so mean! I don't want a "bang". It would scare me! :laugh: I'm gona think about this. I know I could make them but I'd have to find a chrome shop and get another pair of pipes from mikes so I could go back to without the Cutouts.

You might want to consider a cold start ether injection system for a Diesel engine. Plumb it into your pipes and shoot out some flames as you pass the Harleys.

I've fit some GSXR mufflers to a DR 650 and a SV 650 and they worked great. Nice sound not as loud as headers. Might look horrible on an XS. Have you considered any muffler from Ducati's or Moto Guzzi's? Or maybe Royal Enfield's?

If I had another exhaust system for my 2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada 750, I would fit the stock mufflers to my XS. Very similar to 76-79 standard XS mufflers. If I go with a 2-1 system, I'm leaning heavily right now towards a KTM Duke 690 muffler. Sound great on my Duke 690.

Attachments

• MGLEFT.jpg
    MGLEFT.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 194
  • MGREAR.jpg
    MGREAR.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Hello guys, seem my name has been mentions so here is link to my pipe page , any of these styles you be interested in in 1.5" , I will see what i can do.
Just for those who think the torque cones are a good idea here is a link to the dyno I did years ago when they came out. http://hoosracing.com/torqueconedyno.html
My 700 did better with out them in torque and hp, but at the very bottom. I asked the guy who does they dyno before testing what he thought they would do, he relied nothing. He was right. But all apps are different.

5 Twins, in your post # 10, It looks like the pipes, you got from Mike's, on your 83 Special, have a different bend from those offered with their "Commando" set
( that I have). It also looks like they might be a bit longer? But, my mufflers may be slid up on the pipes further. I think I would like to give the Commando peashooter replicas a try. They do look open. My Mike'sXS "Commando" type are baffled and hold some back pressure. My carb settings are stock, by the book and I'm getting a perfect burn. Did you have any mix problems? How long are they over all?
Also, It looks like you used a bracket supplied with the Peashooters plus an original Yamaha piece for mounting them? (and the forward bracket)
I bet they fit on the pipes nice too without the adapters. I'm wondering how much louder than the Mike's "Commando" Type. Would you say they are "raspy" loud or deep and low?
Do they "rack" like a glass pack? Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks
Thu

My headpipes may differ slightly than your "kit" pipes because they're the stand alone headpipe set they sell.

I'm sure if I didn't re-jet, I would have had mix problems. I have the factory lean BS34 carbs on this bike. You pretty much can't change anything without tweaking them. The mufflers didn't come with any mounting brackets, I added everything. More details on the mounting are here, posts 87 and 90 .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/page-5

These mufflers have 1.5" inlets so yes, they fit nicely on 1.5" pipes with no adapters. I tried those larger mount mufflers that require reducers in the past and they just plain suck, lol. If at all possible, I just won't go there anymore. Yes, these are louder than the Mike's EMGO Commandos, but I don't feel they're too loud, not straight pipe loud. But I'm sure they're not for everyone. They are definitely loud, lol.

My headpipes may differ slightly than your "kit" pipes because they're the stand alone headpipe set they sell.

I'm sure if I didn't re-jet, I would have had mix problems. I have the factory lean BS34 carbs on this bike. You pretty much can't change anything without tweaking them. The mufflers didn't come with any mounting brackets, I added everything. More details on the mounting are here, posts 87 and 90 .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/page-5

These mufflers have 1.5" inlets so yes, they fit nicely on 1.5" pipes with no adapters. I tried those larger mount mufflers that require reducers in the past and they just plain suck, lol. If at all possible, I just won't go there anymore. Yes, these are louder than the Mike's EMGO Commandos, but I don't feel they're too loud, not straight pipe loud. But I'm sure they're not for everyone. They are definitely loud, lol.

That sounds great!! Thank you so much for the info! ( I'm gona get a set for Sh*ts and giggles) Oh, naturally I'm running BS38's. Really like them.

Definitely following this. I am still noodling around with wanting some sort of mid mounts, but lighter and tricker than stock. using the stock exhaust brackets seems the way to go, but then I need the pipes to be under them, tucked under the bike.

Back